Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mordeci
    replied
    Like several others, I don't remember my first game (Dodgers Stadium in '69 or '70 according to my dad). The first I remember is White Sox at Red Sox in '72 or '73 (I was 4 or 5 years old). I remember that the game ended 3-2, but I don't remember which Sox won (White I think).

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    A Phillies game at Veterans Stadium in the late 1970s, when Pete Rose was playing for them. I made a sign that said "Pete" with the "P" as a Phillies-style P.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    What I remember on my own: It was in 1991 and we sat in the upper deck at Altanta-Fulton County Stadium. The Braves were playing the Giants. Charlie Leibrandt started for the Braves. I left during the middle of the game because I had to go to bed. I read in the paper the next day that the Braves lost 1-0.

Retrosheet says: It was August 7, 1991. Leibrandt pitched seven innings and Darren Lewis's leadoff home run was the only scoring in the game. Bud Black (eight innings) and Dave Righetti combined for a six-hitter.

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Too young to even remember going. Probably the way it should be.

Leave a comment:

• lovethegame
    replied
    Robin Roberts beat the Metropolitans in a new Shea
    Don't honestly remember it but I did enjoy Bat Day in Yankee Stadium in 68

Leave a comment:

• NCFC6
    replied
    My 1st game was a Yankee game vs Oakland in the summer of 1973 I was 6 years old. My older brother took me to the game. What a sight to walk out of the tunnel to see the stadium for the 1st time. I just bought the 1973 Yankee yearbook off of ebay. This is my 1st post on this site only one word can describe this site "Awesome"!!

Leave a comment:

• BoweryBoys
    replied
    First Game Attended

Dodger Stadium, Sunday afternoon June 9th 1968, Dodgers 4, Phillies 3. Very next game at the stadium after Drysdale's streak came to an end the night before

Light Hitting 2nd baseman Paul Popovich ties the game at three with a solo HR down the left field line that just barely wraps around the fair part of the foul pole. The Dodgers go on to score the winning run on a sacrifice fly later in the inning. Popovich would only hit like one or two HRs that entire season.

I remember that Rocky Colavito, then with the Dodgers, got into some kind of shouting match from the dugout with the HP Umpire and things got heated for a brief moment.

My dad and I hang out at the part of the parking lot where Dodger players come out after the game and I get autographs from Popovich, Zoilo Versalles and Mudcat Grant.

Leave a comment:

• soberdennis
    replied
    Originally posted by SilentKiller View Post
    1st game I attended was a Mets vs Cubs game in 2003 in April, Sammy Sosa was going for his 500th home run.
    Did he hit it?

Leave a comment:

• L. Regira
    replied
    my first game

August 5, 1967. I was almost 10. We rode a train from New Orleans to Kansas City. That was a first for me. The A's were playing the Yankees at Municipal Stadium. I was a great Yankee fan as was my dad. We checked into the hotel that the Yankees were staying. I remember he (Mickey Mantle) had his kids with him and I recall seeing a couple of blond crewcut kids going into the elevator and everyone saying who they were. It must have been strange for them. They didn't seem much older than me. The Mick was reported to be staying in a private room and no one could go near it. Well that day at the Stadium I remember the feeling of everything moving because of the rocking of the train all day and night getting to KC. We watched the Yankees take batting practice. I remember Joe Pepitone putting on a show in batting practice. I also remember how strange the A's looked with their green and yellow unis and white shoes. We laughed at them. Well I remember that MIckey Mantle struck out twice left handed and was intentionally walked when he batted right handed. Through the wonders of Retrosheet I was able to find the game and it helped me remember more details. The game went extra innings (12) and the Yankees lost 3-2. That is the only game I remember in Kansas City although the Yankees played the next day too.
    My dad also took me to a few Astros games over the years and the Astrodome was a wonder to see but I don't remember any specifics but I may have gone there in 1966 and 1967 but seeing the Yanks and Mickey Mantle is what I remember the most.

Lawrence
    Last edited by L. Regira; 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    My First game was great! JIM ABBOTTS NO HITTER!!!! I was 13 it was September 93". You can spend a lifetime going to MLB games and never see a No-Hitter I saw it my first one!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gehrig27
    replied
    My first game was September 26, 1992 at Yankee Stadium. I was four years old and the Yankees beat the Blue Jays 2 to 1. I still remember walking into gate 4 and catching my first glimpse of a major league field through one of the tunnels; it took my breath away and all I could think of was 'wow, this is the place I see on television, maybe I could get on too!' We had good seats on the field level in section 13, the tickets cost only $15 (nearly $100 now)I remember standing up on my seat because I couldn't see over all of the people in front of me when Danny Tartabull hit a home run. It was a great day, I only wish I could remember more of it.

Leave a comment:

• SilentKiller
    replied
    1st game I attended was a Mets vs Cubs game in 2003 in April, Sammy Sosa was going for his 500th home run.

Leave a comment:

• parlo
    replied
    Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
    i found the game on retrosheet once but I don't want to look again

this is what I know

it was either 1991 or 1992 at Tiger Stadium

the Tigers were playing the Yankees. I went with my dad, uncle and grandma.

the Tigers were losing in the 9th and my dad decided we were leaving in order to beat traffic. As we left the stadium we heard the crowd roar and someone told us Tony Phillips (my favorite player) just hit a game tying home run. The Tigers won in extra innings.

Until yesterday I had sworn I would never leave a game early....but I did...but I had an excuse. The Tigers were losing, we were in the nosebleeds in the shade (which made it freezing) and sitting in front of a bunch of drunk frat boys with their dad who was even more annoying. At one point the old man hit on my girlfriend!

that first game was tough, but this last game was the worst I ever experienced!
    I thought I saw an Inside The Park HR in 1974 by Bobby Murcer at Shea. Retrosheet showed that it was a double with an error that allowed Murcer to score. When you are a kid, the details dont matter.

Leave a comment:

• sturg1dj
    replied
    i found the game on retrosheet once but I don't want to look again

this is what I know

it was either 1991 or 1992 at Tiger Stadium

the Tigers were playing the Yankees. I went with my dad, uncle and grandma.

the Tigers were losing in the 9th and my dad decided we were leaving in order to beat traffic. As we left the stadium we heard the crowd roar and someone told us Tony Phillips (my favorite player) just hit a game tying home run. The Tigers won in extra innings.

Until yesterday I had sworn I would never leave a game early....but I did...but I had an excuse. The Tigers were losing, we were in the nosebleeds in the shade (which made it freezing) and sitting in front of a bunch of drunk frat boys with their dad who was even more annoying. At one point the old man hit on my girlfriend!

that first game was tough, but this last game was the worst I ever experienced!

Leave a comment:

• parlo
    replied
    Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
    Hey, banny, my first game was in 1971, too. I got to tag along with my older brother, and we sat in the bleachers at Tiger Stadium.

I don't remember much about the game itself (I was 6)...my overriding memory was of the cardboard popcorn containers, which doubled for megaphones when empty. The containers had an orange roaring Tiger on the side. I saw one at a memorabilia show a few years ago and the memories came flooding back.

And, BTW, welcome to Baseball Fever -- the best baseball history forum in the world.
    The great thing about Retrosheet is that you can go back and find earlier games. Sometimes one or two bits of info will provide lots of detail.
    My first game was in 1970 at Shea vs Cubs. I remember very little except that the Mets lost, and Joe Pepitone was booooed relentlessly. (I was 6).
    With retrosheet, I can find a game that the Cubs won at Shea, with Pepitone playing. I came of age baseball wise in 1973. That was the first year I have solid info about the games I attended. Still, sometimes you find your memory is incorrect.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X