The greatest collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest collapse

As my Mets completed the second greatest collpase in history 7 games with 17 to play. I think it would be wise to see what everyone thought was the greast collpase. Mine is the 1964 Phillies 6.5 games in just 12 days and yes I know it was the Phillies that defeated the Mets in 2007 which makes it all the more intresting:cap::cap:

In 1964, first place meant a pennant, and a ticket to the World Series. The consequences of that collapse were certainly much greater. But as far as games lost in the final week or so of the season, the Mets are right up there.
    http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

1964 Phillies are the worst ever. I'd say the 1952 Dodgers are second. 2007 Mets are 3rd.

Scott
      I told you not to be stupid you moron.

Comment

Originally posted by steve rogers View Post
        1964 Phillies are the worst ever. I'd say the 1952 Dodgers are second. 2007 Mets are 3rd.

Scott
        The Dodgers won the pennant in 1952.

Comment

Originally posted by steve rogers View Post

Scott
          The '51 Dodgers, maybe?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scoops View Post
            The '51 Dodgers, maybe?
            The Dodgers didn't collapse in 1951. 1951 was more about the great end of season run by the Giants than the performance of the Dodgers.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
              The Dodgers didn't collapse in 1951. 1951 was more about the great end of season run by the Giants than the performance of the Dodgers.
              Yeah, but it makes more sense than the '52 Dodgers. I mean, the World Series went 7 games in 1952, so they didn't even collapse at the bitter end.
              sigpic

Comment

TYPO!!! I meant 1951 Dodgers. Sorry. That really made no sense.

Scott
                I told you not to be stupid you moron.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                  I believe the NY Giants finished off the season 37-7 (.841). The Dodgers finished the season with a 26-22 run.
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

95 M's, 78 Bosox?
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

The 1987 Blue Jays were 3.5 games ahead with 7 to play, and never won another game that year.

Comment

1969 Chicago Cubs.
                        http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by parlo View Post
                          In 1964, first place meant a pennant, and a ticket to the World Series.
                          If there was such thing as an LCS/any form of playoff, would those Phillies have still done everything?
                          "It's time to play America's favorite game- Name That Molina."

Comment

Originally posted by HomeRunHomer View Post
                            If there was such thing as an LCS/any form of playoff, would those Phillies have still done everything?
                            Playoffs are a different world - any team can get hot for a week. Even 83 win teams can sometimes appear to be titans in the LCS (hurts to say that, as a Cardinal fan).

The Phillies lost the real and most difficult playoff - the 162 game season in a tightly contested, five-team NL race. In the end, the Cardinals won and the Phillies and Reds finished second - one game out. Over in the AL, the Yankees won by one over the ChiSox and two over the Orioles. Great pennant races.

Comment

March 1, 1965 SI story on the 1964 Phillies.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...6958/index.htm

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X