Three Jewish Players Made History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Jewish Players Made History

The pitcher, the catcher, and the hitter were all Jewish. It is the only known time in major league baseball that has occurred.

http://major-league-baseball.suite10...inch_hit_homer
    Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

I wonder if this has happened since 2008.

The link above doesn't work but I found this on Wikipedia:
    May 2 - A Special Pinch Hit Home Run: The Batter, Pitcher, and Catcher Were Jewish
    On May 2, 1951 at Briggs Stadium in Detroit, Philadelphia A's pinch hitter Lou Limmer stepped into the batters box to face the Tigers' Saul Rogovin. The 6'2" right-hander peered in to get the signal from catcher Joe Ginsberg, nodded assent, and went into the windup. Around came the arm, in came the pitch and Limmer swung, sending a drive to deep right that cleared the fence for a home run. Now, pinch hit home runs are not unique, but what is unique is that the pitcher, the catcher, and the hitter were all Jewish. It is the only known time in major league baseball that has occurred.
    The Red Sox' Craig Breslow and Ryan Lavarnway were a recent all-Jewish battery. I wonder if that combination faced any Jewish hitters...
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 12-22-2014, 08:36 AM.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
      I wonder if this has happened since 2008.

The link above doesn't work but I found this on Wikipedia:

The Red Sox' Craig Breslow and Ryan Lavarnway were a recent all-Jewish battery. I wonder if that combination faced any Jewish hitters...
      Why am I thinking Gabe Kapler was part of something similar?
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Didn't we have a poster that said Koufax and Greenberg were overrated because they were Jewish or am I imagining this?
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
          Didn't we have a poster that said Koufax and Greenberg were overrated because they were Jewish or am I imagining this?
          It was among his conspiracy theories, yes. He also was adamant that Jim Abbott should be in the HOF because of what he overcame.
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
            Was that MelGibby or Lil_CPL?
            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
              It was among his conspiracy theories, yes. He also was adamant that Jim Abbott should be in the HOF because of what he overcame.
              What other conspiracy theories he brought? BTW, aren't Greenberg and Koufax overrated because they are jewish?
              "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
              George Brett

Comment

Yo! Don't be knocking the Hebrew Hammer!!!
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Koufax's cool name didn't hurt him. It's hard to imagine him, going by his birth name of Sanford Braun.
                  This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Yankillaz View Post
                    What other conspiracy theories he brought? BTW, aren't Greenberg and Koufax overrated because they are jewish?
                    It was a while ago.

I don't believe their religion has anything to do with how they're rated compared to their peers. Are you suggesting as much?
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                      Koufax's cool name didn't hurt him. It's hard to imagine him, going by his birth name of Sanford Braun.
                      I've known a few Sanfords, and they all went by Sandy. I suppose you could try Ford as a nickname...I looked him up and Frick's given name was just Ford.
                      Koufax was just his stepdad's name...but, you're right that Sandy Koufax is way cooler than Sandy Braun.
                      Maybe if he had stayed a Braun he would have gone the Charlie Brown route and called himself Flash Braun?
                      I wonder if Violet and Lucy would have rolled on the ground and laughed at him?
                      "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                        I've known a few Sanfords, and they all went by Sandy. I suppose you could try Ford as a nickname...I looked him up and Frick's given name was just Ford.
                        Koufax was just his stepdad's name...but, you're right that Sandy Koufax is way cooler than Sandy Braun.
                        Maybe if he had stayed a Braun he would have gone the Charlie Brown route and called himself Flash Braun?
                        I wonder if Violet and Lucy would have rolled on the ground and laughed at him?
                        Maybe they would've called him Buster Braun.
                        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Anything but Ryan Braun.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankillaz View Post
                            Maybe in the sense that we wouldn't be discussing them right now had they not been.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              Why am I thinking Gabe Kapler was part of something similar?
                              According to wikipedia, Kapler, Kevin Youkilis, and Adam Stern set a record for most Jewish players on a team at once since the expansion era.
                              "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X