X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senor Octobre
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    This is not a matter of records being kept. It's a matter of interest and possibly importance to people of the particular religion and culture.
    Fair enough, and understandable.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Senor Octobre View Post
    Search me. I don't know why such records are kept.
    This is not a matter of records being kept. It's a matter of interest and possibly importance to people of the particular religion and culture.

Leave a comment:

• Gee Walker
    replied
    Norm Sherry caught for the Dodgers while both his brother Larry and Sandy Koufax were on the team. He was basically John Roseboro's backup from 1960 to 1962. He caught 131 games for the Dodgers, so it seems odd that there was never a Jewish opponent when Norm was catching and either Sandy or Larry was pitching, but I have no idea what other Jewish players were active in the NL at that time.

And that also gave the Dodgers three Jewish players at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by Senor Octobre View Post
    I don't think these things are very important (a player's religion, nationality, sexual preference, marital status, political affiliations, etc), but I can understand the desire of some to see people they can relate to succeed. The only Muslim I know of was Sammy Khalifa, Pirates infielder in the mid-1980s. I really don't know about any other religions being represented on the field. But, for me it is unimportant, for others it could be.

Just curios if anyone knew?

Leave a comment:

• Senor Octobre
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    What is the record for Buddhist teammates? Muslims? Agnostics? Mormons? Zoroastrians? Wicca?

Leave a comment:

• Senor Octobre
    replied
    Why am I thinking Gabe Kapler was part of something similar?
    According to wikipedia, Kapler, Kevin Youkilis, and Adam Stern set a record for most Jewish players on a team at once since the expansion era.

Leave a comment:

• brett
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankillaz View Post
    What other conspiracy theories he brought? BTW, aren't Greenberg and Koufax overrated because they are jewish?
    Maybe in the sense that we wouldn't be discussing them right now had they not been.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Anything but Ryan Braun.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I've known a few Sanfords, and they all went by Sandy. I suppose you could try Ford as a nickname...I looked him up and Frick's given name was just Ford.
    Koufax was just his stepdad's name...but, you're right that Sandy Koufax is way cooler than Sandy Braun.
    Maybe if he had stayed a Braun he would have gone the Charlie Brown route and called himself Flash Braun?
    I wonder if Violet and Lucy would have rolled on the ground and laughed at him?
    Maybe they would've called him Buster Braun.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
    Koufax's cool name didn't hurt him. It's hard to imagine him, going by his birth name of Sanford Braun.
    I've known a few Sanfords, and they all went by Sandy. I suppose you could try Ford as a nickname...I looked him up and Frick's given name was just Ford.
    Koufax was just his stepdad's name...but, you're right that Sandy Koufax is way cooler than Sandy Braun.
    Maybe if he had stayed a Braun he would have gone the Charlie Brown route and called himself Flash Braun?
    I wonder if Violet and Lucy would have rolled on the ground and laughed at him?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankillaz View Post
    What other conspiracy theories he brought? BTW, aren't Greenberg and Koufax overrated because they are jewish?
    It was a while ago.

I don't believe their religion has anything to do with how they're rated compared to their peers. Are you suggesting as much?

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Koufax's cool name didn't hurt him. It's hard to imagine him, going by his birth name of Sanford Braun.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Yo! Don't be knocking the Hebrew Hammer!!!

Leave a comment:

• Yankillaz
    replied
    It was among his conspiracy theories, yes. He also was adamant that Jim Abbott should be in the HOF because of what he overcame.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X