Top 10 greatest records in baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post

When you include the strikeout part, that's more difficult with the changes in today's game (flamethrowers with more pitches, thinner bats)
    It's always going to be a difficult achievement for anyone else, no matter the era. The reason it was included, is because there's nothing about the game that renders it impossible or next to impossible. Homers have never been easier to hit, the strike zone has never been smaller. It's the hitters' own fault if they can't cut down with two strikes. Not a game issue. A stubborn player trying to make money issue.

Comment

In no particular order:

1. Cy Young's 511 wins

2. Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters.

3. Joe Sewell striking out only 114 times in a 14-year career

4. Walter Johnson's 110 shutouts

5. Ty Cobb's .367 (or .366, depending on who you believe) lifetime batting average

6. The New York Yankees' 24 World Championships

7. Cy Young's 749 complete games

8. Wahoo Sam Crawford's 309 triples

9. Hughie Jennings getting HBP 51 times in a season

10. Honus Wagner: Five inside-the-park grand slams
      "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Originally posted by bob View Post
        1. Ruth's career SLG - Its so far ahead of anyone else. Even Bonds barely gets over .600, Ruth spent most of his career above .700!
        2. Cobbs stealing home total - Different game now.
        3. Ripken's streak - Him and Gehrig were in a league of their own, i cant see someone playing every game for nearly 2 decades to beat it.
        4. Ryans strikeouts - Clemens and Johnson are 2 of the best SO pitchers of all time and yet more than 1000 K's behind.
        5. Dimaggio's streak - The media pressure would likely cause so much stress that it would be impossible to focus properly once someone passed Rose's total, and theres alot more games to go from that point.
        6. Orel Hershiser's streak - Never really been challenged, i cant see anyone doing so.
        7. Sewell's AB/SO ratio - Thanks sultan for reminding me of that one. I doubt anyone with nearly as many AB's will come close to this.
        8. Hornsby's single season AVG (modern) - I cant see the game going back to the right setting for any more seasons like he had.
        9. Bonds IBB single season and career totals - Rediculous numbers.
        10. Hank Aaron's total bases - The man sure could hit.
        There may be more press today but to be remembered, baseball was about the only game in town back then, no TV in 1941. It was Joe and Ted going for .400 . All eyes, the whole country was watching Joe. There had to be as much presure on him as there would be on todays hitters. And after all, isn't that what streaks are all about, withstanding all the pressure, every pitcher wanting to be the one that ends the streak.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
          And Nolan came close to Johnny V.'s "record" seven times
          If half is "close"

<The record is over 50 with under 50. Pujols did neither that year>

Bonds has come close twice (insert Sultan remark about Bonds). Point is, it has been approached multiple times, and recently.
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
            In no particular order:

I like your math :bowdown:
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Bonds has come close twice (not this time ). Point is, it has been approached multiple times, and recently.
              I'm not saying it's the most "unbreakable" record out there...that's not what this thread is about. In fact I believe it can be done rather easily in this era if the right person takes the right approach.

Comment

I'm not saying it's the most "unbreakable" record out there...that's not what this thread is about.
                I'm not sure exactly what this thread is about

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what this thread is about
                  Oh, is that why, instead of posting your own list, you choose to pick ours apart

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
                    although I was a huge Fielder fan growing up I have to ask were any of his shots records?

his roof shot was the 3rd and it bounced where some say Killebrew's or Howard's cleared it on the fly

and the longest HR's that are mentioned in Tiger Stadium history are all clearing the RF roof...be it Ruth, Mantle or Kirk Gibson

now one the Fielder hit that will never be broken is his home run out of Milwaukee's County Stadium...which is the only one that ever left the park!
                    When I think of tape measure shots at Tiger Stadium, one name comes to mind-Reginald Martinez Jackson.
                    As for the list.
                    1.Young's wins
                    2. Dimaggio's streak
                    3. Carlton compiling 46% of his teams wins in one season.
                    4. The fact that nobody has ever hit a fair ball out of Yankee Stadium.(Probably never will.)
                    5. Wilson's 191 RBI
                    6. Matthewson's three shutouts in 1905
                    7.Lajoie's .426 and Hornsby's .424
                    8. Ripken's streak
                    9. Gibson's 1.12
                    10 Chesbro's 41 wins, Radbourne's 60.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                    Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

In no particular order:

Which two did you decide no longer exist?

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                      Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

I'm not saying it's the most "unbreakable" record out there...that's not what this thread is about. In fact I believe it can be done rather easily in this era if the right person takes the right approach.
                        You mean someone like ALBERT PUJOLS?
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by soberdennis View Post
                          Which two did you decide no longer exist?

Brain fart!

"Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Brain fart!

What's that's funky smell around here?!
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Johnny Vander Meer Reds, two consecutive no-hitters.
                              Ewell Blackwell Reds, against the same two teams Braves and Dodgers, one no-hitter and the second broke up with one out in the 9th, a single by Eddie Stanky. Close but then again a million miles away. Johnny V was in the Cinci dugout the night Ewell came close.

Whitey Ford two consecutive one hitters in 1955, five other pitchers did the same.

Johnny V said it all, some one may tie my record but break it, I don't think so. He's right........ lets just say we see that great feat accomplished again, two consecutive no-hitters..................but then another!

Comment

Not exactly a record

<3. Tom McCreery hitting 3 in the park home runs in 1 game>

1897 might have had something to do with it

<10. The unassisted triple play>

Mostly being in the right place at the right time, and having at least one dumb baserunner

Most records are achieved either by compilers who stick around way past their welcome but somehow are revered after the fact, or are achieved by dumb luck which is why I chose the list I did. I don't look at records when judging a player's career and think the continued emphasis on achieving records is silly.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X