Top 10 greatest records in baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    Oh, is that why, instead of posting your own list, you choose to pick ours apart
    What list do you want? The least breakable, the most impressive, including conditions that make breaking impossible, not including conditions that make breaking impossible, because they're all different lists
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by soberdennis View Post
      4. The fact that nobody has ever hit a fair ball out of Yankee Stadium.(Probably never will.)
      And then there's anti-records. I like that there was never a no-hitter at Forbes.
      The fact that nobody ever hit a ball into the BLEACHERS at Cleveland Muncipal Stadium (and guaranteed they won't)
      Last edited by RuthMayBond; 04-15-2008, 05:48 AM.
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Although I recognize them as great records, I am not including records or achievements that are impossible (or next to) to break, given the changes in era. Cy's 511 would be such a record, and even Chief Wilson's 36 triples could be considered one. The parks are just too small today...even a guy like Reyes needs a fluke hop or a misplay in most parks to get a triple. Anyway, here goes.

1. Ruth's .690 career SA
        (gap)
        It must be one of those standard deviation things, because two guys have gotten 92% of that.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
          And then there's anti-records. I like that there was never a no-hitter at Forbes.
          The fact that nobody ever hit a ball into the BLEACHERS at Cleveland Muncipal Stadium (and guaranteed they won't)
          Thanks. I forgot about Forbes and the no no hitters. That belongs up there with YS and noby ever hitting it completely out.
          While I'm at it, I know Mantle came close a couple times on hitting a ball out of YS. Do you know what the closest anyone came to a no hitter in Forbes was? I don't and am curious.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
          Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by soberdennis View Post
            Do you know what the closest anyone came to a no hitter in Forbes was? I don't and am curious.
            Other than starting here & hitting all the home box scores (and you'll still be missing many years)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...56_sched.shtml

Comment

I always thought it was the CF bleachers that were never reached at Cleveland Stadium. I think I was at games where the bleachers were reached for a home-run.

Comment

What list do you want? The least breakable, the most impressive, including conditions that make breaking impossible, not including conditions that make breaking impossible, because they're all different lists
                Big response there. I'll start with some miscellaneous records near the bottom of my list

Reds getting 19 straight batters on base
                Bonds 232 walks in a season
                Brooks Robinson's 618 DP by a 3B
                Cobb's 19 straight full years with .300+ BA
                Alexander's 19 straight winning years

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                  I always thought it was the CF bleachers that were never reached at Cleveland Stadium. I think I was at games where the bleachers were reached for a home-run.
                  What bleachers are you talking about?

Comment

What bleachers are you talking about?
                    The section where people weren't allowed to sit in.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                      The section where people weren't allowed to sit in.
                      I'm still not sure what you mean

Comment

It must be one of those standard deviation things, because two guys have gotten 92% of that.

That is the top three and the guys below him, Williams and Gehrig are all-time hitters. That .690 will never be broken imo. It's just incredible. Blows the mind, really, especially when you consider it is .700 if you don't count his pitching years. How many guys have slugged .690 in a single season? Not many. Most of those few seasons are by steroid users, Coors Field players, or Hack Wilson.

Comment

That is the top three and the guys below him, Williams and Gehrig are all-time hitters. That .690 will never be broken imo. It's just incredible. Blows the mind, really, especially when you consider it is .700 if you don't count his pitching years. How many guys have slugged .690 in a single season? Not many. Most of those few seasons are by steroid users, Coors Field players, or Hack Wilson.
                          There are lots of records that will "never" be broken. With undetectable PEDs and smaller parks, ya never know. Now RELATIVE slugging, kiss that record out of reach

Comment

There are lots of records that will "never" be broken. With undetectable PEDs and smaller parks, ya never know. Now RELATIVE slugging, kiss that record out of reach
                            Relative or not. It'll never be done imo. I fail to see how you aren't impressed with .690 but that's just you being you I guess.

Comment

I fail to see how you aren't impressed with .690 but that's just you being you I guess.
                              Never said I wasn't impressed, far from it. Putting words in my mouth . . .
                              . . . but that's just you being you

Comment

Never said I wasn't impressed, far from it. Putting words in my mouth . . .
                                . . . but that's just you being you
                                I never said you said it. I said it appears that way from your comments.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X