Top 10 greatest records in baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    I never said you said it. I said it appears that way from your comments.
    Whatever. My point is, as impressive as .690 is, Ruth has at least five records that are arguably MORE impressive :bowdown:
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
      I'm still not sure what you mean
      The section of the bleachers that were on front of the scoreboard, where people weren't allowed to sit in.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
        The section of the bleachers that were on front of the scoreboard, where people weren't allowed to sit in.
        Those were not considered CF bleachers? (should they be considerer bleachers if you weren't allowed to sit there?)
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

The section where people weren't allowed to sit in.

Has to be the centerfield bleachers where no ball was ever hit, Cleveland. It was 470 to those bleachers, shortened to 410 in 1947 when a fence was put up.

I'm sure there are a few who could have reached that distance, they hit balls longer distances but not there, Mantle and Killebrew to name a couple.

I wouldn't say it couldn't be done when in use, but it never was.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
            Has to be the centerfield bleachers where no ball was ever hit, Cleveland. It was 470 to those bleachers, shortened to 410 in 1947 when a fence was put up.

I'm sure there are a few who could have reached that distance, they hit balls longer distances but not there, Mantle and Killebrew to name a couple.

I wouldn't say it couldn't be done when in use, but it never was.
            I've heard that Mantle and either Canseco or McGwire were the closest to reaching the CF bleachers. When I was a kid, my father told me it was impossible to reach that area because it was such a straight shot.

Comment

Those were not considered CF bleachers? (should they be considerer bleachers if you weren't allowed to sit there?)
              They were still bleacers. Fans were allowed to sit in them until Bill Veeck closed them off in 1947.

Comment

Whatever. My point is, as impressive as .690 is, Ruth has at least five records that are arguably MORE impressive :bowdown:
                Seriously. Which ones in your opinion, are more impressive than .690? His post season innings record was broken, his 26 game hitting streak isn't noteworthy except that it's much more impressive by a guy like him who routinely got 2 or 3 AB in a game with which to work....hmmmm....what could it be....not .342 or .393....not his 177 runs since that's sorta team dependent...could be 207+ but I think .690 beats that out....what are the five RMB...I need to know. :cap:

Comment

They were still bleachers. Fans were allowed to sit in them until Bill Veeck closed them off in 1947.
                  Empty bleachers are still bleachers - as long as they're still being "bleached" by the sun. "Covered bleachers" may be an oxymoron, though - hard to say. "Under the bleachers" - well, nothing oxymoronic about that.

Comment

Seriously. Which ones in your opinion, are more impressive than .690? His post season innings record was broken, his 26 game hitting streak isn't noteworthy except that it's much more impressive by a guy like him who routinely got 2 or 3 AB in a game with which to work....hmmmm....what could it be....not .342 or .393....not his 177 runs since that's sorta team dependent...could be 207+ but I think .690 beats that out....what are the five RMB...I need to know. :cap:
                    I'm sure you know Randy and probably most other members are aware of this. For those that don't, when Babe scored that 177 runs in 1921 Lou Gehrig was not yet a Yankee. It was Bob Meusal or Wally Pipp that followed him in the batting order.

But in any case I feel the same way better to list numbers that are not team dependent so they can't be debated. Although some are team dependent the play of the hitter many times was a contributing factor, high OBA for one.

Still undecided but that .690 is always considered. Simple reason which I think you already noted, how many single seasons at .690 are reached. That 177 runs scored in 1921, the fact that Ruth walked 145 times, 44 doubles, 16 triples, he put himself in scoring position a high number of times, plus 59 home runs had much to do with that 177..
                    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 04-16-2008, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Imagine that, you wanting to know something from me
                      These are arguable, but you got the one with the 177 runs. With all the slap-hitting on-base leadoff guys, it's a "fat" slugger down the lineup that still has the record. It's older than the .690 record, 2nd place for this is much older than 2nd place for the .690 record.
                      207 OPS+ is good but it's about the same & margin that .690 has on second place.
                      Ruth was a twelve-time HR king. The closest anyone has come is 8x.
                      Ruth was a thirteen-time SLG% king. The closest anyone has come is 9x (and 2nd place is an old record too).
                      Now in career relative SLG, only Williams got 90% of Ruth. If we get all nerdy and go by standard deviations, Ruth's career SLG was 3.39 standard deviations above average. Only one guy was more than 2.37 SD above average
                      This is one that sorta depended upon the era, plus I'm not sure if my research is correct, but Ruth tied or outhomered teams NINETY-FOUR times. I believe the next closest is Cravath at thirty.
                      You alluded to this record earlier. Ruth had NINE seasons of .700+ SLG. With all the PEDs, Coors & short-fence fields, no one else has had more than four :bowdown: Hope ya liked this

Comment

Thanks for the trivia RMB. Ruth is one of those guys that no matter how much you hear about him, your still slightly amazed when you read out his list of feats and by how much he dominated.

Comment

Originally posted by bob View Post
                          Thanks for the trivia RMB. Ruth is one of those guys that no matter how much you hear about him, your still slightly amazed when you read out his list of feats and by how much he dominated.
                          Every time I think I've heard it all or read it all about Babe Ruth, there is always more. Been saving every scrap of info on him for years and years.

One little story different because it's usually his hitting that carries the story.

Not this one, this is the big guy in the outfield and in the grandstand on the same play. Running down a drive he fails to catch along the foul line, a fair ball. Unable to stop he hurtles head first into the grandstand. All that is now visable are his legs pointed up. He leaps back on to the field, chases down the ball and throws out Chick Galloway at home plate.

Not a hand me down story, I have a copy of the article from the NY Times.

Comment

I tend to put much weight on career records. Ruth's .690 career record is simply staggering. There have been just 45 seasons of .690 SLG or above. Here is the list.

10 Ruth
                            4 Bonds
                            4 Gehrig
                            4 Foxx
                            3 hornsby
                            3 McGwire
                            2 Williams
                            2 Larry Walker
                            2 Belle
                            1 Mantle
                            1 Thomas
                            1 Wilson
                            1 Simmons
                            1 Musial
                            1 Helton
                            1 Ramirez
                            1 Duffy
                            1 O'Neill
                            1 Sosa
                            1 Bagwell

Here is the top 20 all-time

.690-Babe Ruth
                            .634-Ted Williams
                            .632-Lou Gehrig
                            .621-Albert Pujols
                            .609-Jimmie Foxx
                            .607-Barry Bonds
                            .605-Hank Greenberg
                            .593-Manny Ramirez
                            .588-Mark McGwire
                            .583-Todd Helton
                            .579-Joe DiMaggio
                            .578-Vladimir Guerrero
                            .578-Alex Rodriguez
                            .577-Rogers Hornsby
                            .565-Larry Walker
                            .564-Albert Belle
                            .563-Jim Thome
                            .562-Johnny Mize
                            .561-Lance Berkman
                            .561-Juan Gonzalez

Just seven players are within 100 points of Ruth and Ruth has a 56 point lead on Ted Williams.

The great Sadaharu Oh hit 868 HRs, drew 2390 walks, and slugged over .700 NINE TIMES. But even with all that and playing in a lessor league, Oh's career SLG is .634. Interestingly, that is Ted Williams' career slugging percentage as well.

All in all Ruth's .690 is extremely unlikely to be surpassed ever.
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Imagine that, you wanting to know something from me
                              Just wondering what you saw that I don't.

These are arguable, but you got the one with the 177 runs. With all the slap-hitting on-base leadoff guys, it's a "fat" slugger down the lineup that still has the record. It's older than the .690 record, 2nd place for this is much older than 2nd place for the .690 record.
                              I know you were kidding with the "fat" thing. He was anything but fat when he scored those runs. He was an excellent baserunner at that point in his career. I still don't see how 177 comes close to the impressiveness of .690.

Ruth was a twelve-time HR king. The closest anyone has come is 8x.
                              True. Not as impressive as .690 imo. Cobb was an 11 time batting champ.

Ruth was a thirteen-time SLG% king. The closest anyone has come is 9x (and 2nd place is an old record too).
                              Ties in with .690.

Ruth's career SLG was 3.39 standard deviations above average. Only one guy was more than 2.37 SD above average
                              That's impressive but too but .690 is so much easier to undertand.

This is one that sorta depended upon the era, plus I'm not sure if my research is correct, but Ruth tied or outhomered teams NINETY-FOUR times. I believe the next closest is Cravath at thirty.
                              It is 51 times with two ties.

1918 - 4
                              1919 - 4
                              1920 - 7
                              1921 - 5
                              1922 - 1
                              1923 - 2 (1tie)
                              1924 - 5
                              1925 - 0
                              1926 - 5
                              1927 - 7
                              1928 - 4
                              1929 - 2 (1tie)
                              1930 - 1
                              1931 - 3
                              1932 - 1

Hope ya liked this
                              I did. I did. Thanks

One record he probably has but we'll never know is the career intentional walk record. They just didn't keep track of them back then, and with the strike zone being much larger, it was easier to unintentionally intentionally walk someone. Anyway, Smelser notes that by "careful unofficial count" in 1923, 80 of his 170 walks were intentional. No telling what the totals were before '23, and while he was certainly pitched to "more" once Gehrig came along, I have no doubt that his number would be more than Bonds' 688 if we really knew the truth.
                              Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 04-16-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

True. Not as impressive as .690 imo. Cobb was a 12 time batting champ.
                                Well, we're talking about Ruth's records, not Cobb's

<Ties in with .690.>

.690 ties in with the slugging championships, what's your point?

<That's impressive but too but .690 is so much easier to undertand.>

Sure, if ya wanna go that route. If you're bound & determined that no record is in the same universe as .690 I won't be able to change your mind

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X