No announcement yet.

Top 10 greatest records in baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streaks are interesting and difficult to duplicate, but as far as "great" records are concerned they are irrelevant!
    Originally posted by George H Ruth View Post
    In your opinions what are the top 10 greatest baseball records. I'm not saying top 10 records that will never get beaten. I just want to know what you think is the top 10 records in Major League history?

Here are mine in no order:

Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak(56 games)
    Cal Ripken's iron man streak(2,632)
    Orel Hershiser's scoreless innings streak(59 innings)
    Hack Wilson's single-season RBI record (191)
    Bob Gibson's ERA in 1968(1.12)
    Cy Young's (511 wins)
    Rube Marquard's 19 wins in a row
    The 1916 Giants' 26-game winning streak
    Connie Mack's 50 years managing the same team
    Ted Williams gets a hit in 17 consecutive at bats

It was very tough and I'm sure I miss some good ones, but those are the ones that I can think of right now. I might change my list later on.

What about you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by leagueleader View Post
      Ruth hitting 88% of his teams Hr's in 1919 Ruth 29 Rest of team 4
      George Hall was close ;-)

<Ted Williams leading league in Slugging pct every year from 1941 to 1955 with asterick*. In some of those years he didn't have enough AB to qualify, still its remarkable.>

1943-1945, 1952 and 1953 are a STRETCH :headbeat:
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by George H Ruth View Post
        In your opinions what are the top 10 greatest baseball records. I'm not saying top 10 records that will never get beaten. I just want to know what you think is the top 10 records in Major League history?

Here are mine in no order:

Ted Williams gets a hit in 17 consecutive at bats
        That's on base, not hits
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
          That's on base, not hits
          Do you happen to know who set the NL record with reaching base in 12 consecutive plate appearances? I just ran across it in one of the Cardinals history books I was flipping through in the past couple days. It was either Enos Slaughter or Joe Medwick, but I can't remember which one. I really don't think it was Stan Musial, that would have been too obvious and probably would have stuck out more in my mind. Slaughter and Medwick get largely forgotten, and I think it was one of them that did it. Darn, now I am conjuring up all kinds of names as possibilities like Pepper Martin and Johnny Mize too! I gotta dig in these books again, which is always a fun task for me!
          "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
            Do you happen to know who set the NL record with reaching base in 12 consecutive plate appearances? I just ran across it in one of the Cardinals history books I was flipping through in the past couple days. It was either Enos Slaughter or Joe Medwick, but I can't remember which one.
            It was probably Medwick. He is tied for the record for consecutive at-bats with a hit (10). So, for plate appearances, he might have reached base safely 12 straight times. Frank Ward holds the all-time NL record with 17, but that was 1893.
            Last edited by ipitch; 12-28-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
              It was probably Medwick. He is tied for the record for consecutive at-bats with a hit (10). So, for plate appearances, he might have 12. Frank Ward holds the all-time NL record with 17, but that was 1893.
              Thanks! Ah, gone are the buttons and belts love in the avatar. It was a nice run!

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                It was probably Medwick. He is tied for the record for consecutive at-bats with a hit (10). So, for plate appearances, he might have reached base safely 12 straight times. Frank Ward holds the all-time NL record with 17, but that was 1893.
                Yep, found it while looking for something else (always works that way it seems). It was July 21, 1936, in a game against the Giants at the Polo Grounds - Joe Medwick goes 3 for 3 with 2 doubles and a single, to tie the National League record for hits in 10 consecutive at-bats. He had gone 7 for 7 in a doubleheader against the Braves at home in St. Louis during the previous 2 games on July 19, 1936.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X