Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Past or present, who's the Steve Yzerman of baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past or present, who's the Steve Yzerman of baseball?

The Detroit Red Wings Steve Yzerman is my favorite athlete of all-time for reasons listed below:

1.)Loyal to one team his entire career
    2.)Humble leadership
    3.)Honed his skills to star staus on both offense and defense
    4.)Great with the media and fans
    5.)Physically and mentally tough

...is there a player in the history of baseball who has this entire package?
    ?

Originally posted by MyDogSparty
    The Detroit Red Wings Steve Yzerman is my favorite athlete of all-time for reasons listed below:

2.)Humble leadership

Well, he's not the "total" package, but Edgar Martinez fits part of the bill.

He spent his entire career in the Mariner's organization, from the minors to his retirement. He was a quiet, humble leader on the team. He honed his offensive skills to the best they could be, which was pretty good, but falls short defensively. He was also great media wise, if not a little reserved. I just thought he deserved mentioning.

Comment

Originally posted by MyDogSparty

2.)Humble leadership

Brooks Robinson, maybe. Carl Yastrzemski, perhaps, although he had his moments where he was less-than-endeared by the media, the fans, and his teammates.
      The one word that stands out on your list is humble. Robinson and Stan Musial would be the most comparitive including that. Musial, moreso, because he was a far better hitter. 60-goal seasons would be the equivalent of a great year at the plate.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Craig Biggio?

Comment

The player that easily fits the bill in recent years was Cal Ripken Jr.

Comment

gary sheffield comes to mind

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
              gary sheffield comes to mind
              Sarcasm, right?

Comment

Originally posted by julusnc
                The player that easily fits the bill in recent years was Cal Ripken Jr.
                That is the first guy I thought of fromt he recent past.

Comment

I am sure Derek Jeter fits the bill too.

Comment

I can think of lots of guys unless you elect to be anal about your criteria. Tommy Henrich, Gil Hodges, Derke Jeter, Yogi Berra, Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, etc. It is a very long list.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                      I can think of lots of guys unless you elect to be anal about your criteria. Tommy Henrich, Gil Hodges, Derek Jeter, Yogi Berra, Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, etc. It is a very long list.
                      yogi berra went to the Mets at the end of his career though

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                        Sarcasm, right?

somewhat

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
                          yogi berra went to the Mets at the end of his career though
                          Eddie Mathews, also on KCGhosts's list, also does not qualify based on criteria No. 1. same with Hank Aaron.
                          MDS, you can look no further (referring to Detroit here) than Al Kaline. Like Stevie Y, Kaline waited a long time to win it all. He certainly fits your other ciriteria.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                            I can think of lots of guys unless you elect to be anal about your criteria. Tommy Henrich, Gil Hodges, Derke Jeter, Yogi Berra, Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, etc. It is a very long list.
                            I'm pretty particular about the first criteria of having played your entire career with one franchise. That one means a lot to me. I'm not saying guys like Aaron, Berra, Hodges, Mays, etc. are any less of a player or person but lasting your entire career with one franchise is VERY difficult to do, especially today and I really respect the player and the franchise that is able to work things out year after year after year.

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                            MDS, you can look no further (referring to Detroit here) than Al Kaline. Like Stevie Y, Kaline waited a long time to win it all. He certainly fits your other ciriteria.
                            I'm not convinced that Kaline was good with the media when he was a player. I grew up in Detroit and from what I remember he was a somewhat tempermental guy. He had a little edge to him that took with him right into the broadcasting booth. He's mellowed much over the years much like Frank Robinson but was a tad immature when he was a player. Granted, he never spent a day in the minor leagues and I'm sure that can explain a lot of his moods but Yzerman was a kid too and he's handled himself and the media almost his entire career with class. I almost think that if you're looking for strickly Detroit athletes, Alan Trammell and Joe Dumars (NBA) would fit the bill pretty closely.

Brooks Robinson was the first person I thought of when I posed this question but he wasn't the offensive star that Yzerman was. I think Ripken fits the mold about as well as Brooks. Biggio is a good suggestion because he was a little more balanced offensively and defensively. And he's made positional sacrifices for the good of his team. Jeter? We'll have to wait and see on him. A couple of players that I thought of who were before my time were Stan Musial and Ernie Banks.
                            Last edited by MyDogSparty; 10-02-2013, 12:14 AM.
                            ?

Comment

Just one man fits that criteria and more...Lou Gehrig
                              Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X