Greatest single-game achievement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest single-game achievement

In your judgment, what is the greatest single-game achievement (most difficult? Most unusual?) by an individual in a team sport?

Some nominations:
    * Hockey: to score a "hat trick" (3 goals by one player)
    * Basketball: to score a "triple-double" (double-digit points, rebounds and assists)
    * Baseball: to pitch a complete game, no-hit shutout
    * Baseball: To hit four homeruns in a single game
    * Baseball: To "hit for the cycle" (single, double, triple and homerun)

Would you choose one of these or some other single-game feat?
    Hockey: to score a "hat trick"
    0.00%
    Basketball: to score a "Triple-Double"
    0.00%
    Baseball: to pitch a nine-inning, no-hit shutout
    30.43%
    Baseball: to hit four homeruns
    47.83%
    Baseball: to hit "for the cycle"
    8.70%
    Other
    13.04%
    Luke

The most difficult is probably the four HR in a game.
    The most useful is the CG no-hit shutout, guaranteeing a win.
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

The 4HR game is by far the hardest of those listed.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I went with "other". Darryl Sittler's 10 points in one hockey game is mind-boggling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner
          I went with "other". Darryl Sittler's 10 points in one hockey game is mind-boggling to me.
          Like Wilt's 100 points? (how many of the 10 were goals?)
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Technically the hardest would probably be the cycle, but that's more luck than anything. Gotta go with a four homer game.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
              Like Wilt's 100 points? (how many of the 10 were goals?)
              Six were goals, four were assists. Wilt's 100 points is another great example and definitely has to be up there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner
                Six were goals, four were assists.
                Did the opponents have in their employ a goalie and defensive personnel?

Comment

Twelve rbi's (Bottomley & Whitten) in a game has only been done twice.

Shawn Green's 19 bases in a single game.

Two grand slams by one player in one inning. Only been done once.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Depending upon how specific you want to get, throwing a no-hitter AND hitting two homers.
                    In the same game.
                    By the same person

Comment

Rennie Stennet's seven hit game (9 innings) on 9/16/1975 is pretty impressive to me. I didn't know it's actually been done three times:

June 10, 1892: Baltimore Orioles (NL) Hall of Famer Wilbert Robinson set a major league record by going 7-for-7 as his team topped the St. Louis Browns 25-4. Roberts also set a second record in RBI with 11.

June 21, 1970: Detroit Tigers shortstop César Gutiérrez became the first player to go 7-for-7 in modern era (since 1900).

September 16, 1975: Rennie Stennett topped the 7-for-7 mark as Pittsburgh routed the Cubs 22-0. Pittsburgh also set a major league record for the biggest score in a shutout game in the modern era. This record was matched by Cleveland against the Yankees on August 31, 2004 (AL). Robinson and Stennett accomplished their feats during the course of a nine-inning game. Gutiérrez did it in a 12-inning game. Curiously, Stennett didn't complete his record game. Pirates manager Danny Murtaugh sent in a pinch runner for him after Stennett's seventh hit.
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                        Curiously, Stennett didn't complete his record game. Pirates manager Danny Murtaugh sent in a pinch runner for him after Stennett's seventh hit.
                        Not surprising that Stennett would be tired from all that running around the bases

Comment

back in little league i went 6-6....in a six inning game

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
                            back in little league i went 6-6....in a six inning game
                            Six for six what? Six dribblers down the third base line or six bombs that cleared the parking lot?
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

"Toughest" might be the Gordie Howe Hat Trick:

A goal... an assist... and a fight (whick I assume you would have to win)
                              "(Van) Mungo and I get along fine. I just tell him I won't stand for no nonsense, and then I duck."
                              Casey Stengel

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X