Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build the Worst Position Player You Can ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
    Find me the stat that shows he stole home 7 times in one season.
    Find you the STAT?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...63/ai_n6154585
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post

That article shows he stole home 17 times in his entire CAREER. Not 7 times in one season like you originally had posted. Next time you want to pounce on someone 10 seconds after they post, realized they made an error and corrected it, at least be accurate yourself.
      Last edited by jjpm74; 04-29-2008, 06:34 AM. Reason: misspelled accurate

Comment

Stolen bases: 353
        Caught stealing: 187

What does stealing home 7 times have to do with anything?

That's a terrible SB ratio for a base stealer.
        Um...he had 353+187=540 steal attempts. He was successful (353/540)=.654=65.4% of the time.
        This is not especially good, but not bad, either...somewhere around break even in terms of overall runs scored. Rod had some very good seasons for SB %, like 35/44=79.5% in '75 (how did he only score 89 runs in 143 games with a .421 OBP and that kind of base stealing that season?!?!?). Not Eric Davis, but very good. He had some poor years later in his career that brought his average down.
        Stealing home is the most difficult feat for a baserunner...I'm not convinced that it's a smart play very often, but pulling it off is impressive.
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

That article shows he stole home 17 times in his entire CAREER. ...
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Mi...a_Twins_season

I've heard about Carew stealing home 7 times in a season at least 777 times in my life.
          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

That article shows he stole home 17 times in his entire CAREER. Not 7 times in one season like you originally had posted. Next time you want to pounce on someone 10 seconds after they post, realized they made an error and corrected it, at least be accurate yourself.
            "Cobb also set the major league single season record for steals of home at eight in 1912, a total Carew just missed when he stole seven in 1969 while with the Minnesota Twins, being thrown out on his eighth try. Carew matched the N.L. record set by Pete Reiser of the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946."

Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
              "Cobb also set the major league single season record for steals of home at eight in 1912, a total Carew just missed when he stole seven in 1969 while with the Minnesota Twins, being thrown out on his eighth try. Carew matched the N.L. record set by Pete Reiser of the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946."

STOP SHOUTING!!!

Comment

I know I'm going to get run out of town for saying this, but I didn't think the John Goodman movie was all that bad. It's not meant to be a serious biography. It's just a lark, and, to me, it really isn't all that bad.

My young son and I enjoyed watching it. Again, you have to take it for what it was: A pop baseball film, not meant to be taken seriously by baseball history scholars.
                "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
                  I know I'm going to get run out of town for saying this, but I didn't think the John Goodman movie was all that bad. It's not meant to be a serious biography. It's just a lark, and, to me, it really isn't all that bad.

My young son and I enjoyed watching it. Again, you have to take it for what it was: A pop baseball film, not meant to be taken seriously by baseball history scholars.
                  Hey, if you guys liked it, more power to you.
                  I was expecting a serious film, and my jaw just hit the floor as the movie unfolded. I took two friends from Italy to the movie, and they came away thinking that Ruth was something like a clown who entertained the fans by acting goofy, and I was mortified.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X