Season With Most Legit MVP Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season With Most Legit MVP Candidates

This is something that has interested me for a while. Which Season/League had the most legitimate MVP candidates. When I say legitimate, I mean you would not have been at all surprised to see that person win. For argument's sake, let's say every MVP winner is a legitimate candidate, no matter how disgraceful you think their selection was. Let's also just focus on the years from 1931-present.

In the 1941 AL, for example, there are only two legit candidates: DiMaggio and Williams. Anyone else would have shocked you. There may have been other excellent seasons, but you wouldn't expect anyone else to win it.

Right now, I can think of two season/leagues with four legit candidates:

1951 NL: Campanella (winner), Robinson, Kiner, Musial
    1996 NL: Caminiti (winner), Bagwell, Bonds, Sheffield

I am not saying every candidate has to be equally as strong as the others, just that you would not be surprised if they had won. Can four be topped? Are there any other seasons from 1931-present with four?
    "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

'87 NL:
    Raines
    Gwinn
    Smith
    Jack Clark
    Will Clark
    Eric Davis

Mike Schmidt

Dale Murphy
    Darryl Strawberry

Andre Dawson
    Howard Johnson

Comment

'61 AL
      Mantle
      Maris
      Cash
      Gentile
      Last edited by brett; 04-28-2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

'95 NL
        Bonds
        Piazza
        Maddux
        Larkin?

Comment

Dont you mean the 61 AL??
          MySpace Codes

Comment

Originally posted by stejay View Post
            Dont you mean the 61 AL??
            You are correct!

Comment

'76 AL
              Grich
              Brett
              Munson
              Jackson
              Carew

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
                '87 NL:
                Raines
                Gwinn
                Smith
                Jack Clark
                Will Clark
                Eric Davis

Mike Schmidt

Dale Murphy
                Darryl Strawberry

Andre Dawson
                Howard Johnson
                Okay, but are all these legit candidates? I would have been shocked if Dale Murphy won, for example.
                "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

1999 AL

Pudge
                  Gonzalez
                  Jeter
                  Nomar
                  Palmeiro
                  Manny
                  Alomar
                  Green
                  Griffey
                  Williams
                  Pedro

2000 AL

F.Thomas
                  Pudge
                  Giambi
                  A-Rod
                  Degado
                  P. Martinez
                  Nomar
                  Manny
                  E. Martinez
                  Erstad

2001 AL

Giambi
                  Palmeiro
                  Manny
                  Thome
                  A-rod
                  Ichiro
                  Gonzalez
                  Alomar
                  Boone

Most of the seasons of the steroid era produced at least 7 or 8 legit candidates that were near equally qualified
                  Last edited by willshad; 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM.

Comment

'97 NL

Walker (winner)
                    Gwynn
                    Piazza
                    Biggio
                    Bonds
                    Bagwell

All were, I think, legit candidates.

- Alvin Dark

Comment

I found this interesting: Win Shares suggests a legit MVP campaign is 30 WS. The 2004 NL had 12 players meeting this qualifying standard. Since baseball couldn't figure a way to bring down Bonds's numbers, he was really the only legit MVP choice (statistically). But there are 11 other MVP type players that season:

Pujols
                      Rolen
                      Beltre
                      Abreu
                      Edmonds
                      Drew
                      Loretta
                      Dunn
                      Berkman
                      Helton
                      Casey

Sure, not all of these are legit candidates (outside of Bonds). But that's a hell of a lot of MVP type seasons.

- Alvin Dark

Comment

win shares is not what you should go by...Mark Loretta was never a legit MVP candidate lol

Comment

Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
                          '97 NL

Walker (winner)
                          Gwynn
                          Piazza
                          Biggio
                          Bonds
                          Bagwell

All were, I think, legit candidates.
                          I agree, but that really was Piazza's year. I was a Dodger fan and I really thought it wouldnt be close, after Mike had what is still universally recognized as the best season ever at his position. Bonds and Bagwell both had better seasons, and Biggio wasnt quite on the level of the other guys. Walker had a great season, as did Gwynn, but Piazza had simliar numbers to Walker playing catcher in the worst hitter's park ever. He hit for nearly as high an average as Gwynn, but with much more power. I dont want to even imagine what his numbers would have been like had he played in Coors half of his games.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                            win shares is not what you should go by...Mark Loretta was never a legit MVP candidate lol
                            You'll have to do better than that. I agree completely that Win Shares should not be relied upon, but you need a counterpoint. Besides, I merely pointed out that all 12 of those players had MVP type seasons. No year comes close to having as many MVP type seasons as the 2004 NL. Filtering out the legit candidates is tougher. I will try to trim down the list to the real candidates (sans Bonds) if you will do the same to your lists of the 1999-2001 AL. I assume you are well aware that not all of those were legit candidates.

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
                              You'll have to do better than that. I agree completely that Win Shares should not be relied upon, but you need a counterpoint. Besides, I merely pointed out that all 12 of those players had MVP type seasons. No year comes close to having as many MVP type seasons as the 2004 NL. Filtering out the legit candidates is tougher. I will try to trim down the list to the real candidates (sans Bonds) if you will do the same to your lists of the 1999-2001 AL. I assume you are well aware that not all of those were legit candidates.
                              The numbers speak for themselves. Loretta had a good year, but not what typical MVPs put up.

2004 32 SDP NL 154 620 108 208 47 2 16 76 5 3 58 45 .335 .391 .495 138

He wasnt good on the bases nor particularily good in the field.

Name one of the guys I named who didnt have 'mvp numbers'. I could have even added a few more players from each season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X