Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Hitters' Toughtest Oppenents

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greatest Hitters' Toughtest Oppenents

    I was just wondering if anyone knows any links that reveal the hitting stats of baseball's greatest hitters against their toughest opponents. And by opponents, I don't mean teams, but individual pitchers.
    "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
    -Satchel Paige

  • #2
    Originally posted by rsuriyop View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone knows any links that reveal the hitting stats of baseball's greatest hitters against their toughest opponents. And by opponents, I don't mean teams, but individual pitchers.
    Do you mean the individual pitchers that the greatest hitters had the most trouble with?

    Or how the greatest hitters did against the best pitchers of their day?

    As to the second question, check out this thread.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
      Do you mean the individual pitchers that the greatest hitters had the most trouble with?

      Or how the greatest hitters did against the best pitchers of their day?

      As to the second question, check out this thread.
      Yes to the former - the individual pitchers that the greatest hitters had the most trouble with. But thanks for the link though. Still worth checking out.
      "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
      -Satchel Paige

      Comment


      • #4
        What I came up with, would like to check some other sources.
        Talk about a mismatch, Hub Pruett lifetime 29 wins 48 lost vs Babe Ruth.

        Struck out Ruth 10 of first 13 at bats.
        30 at bats....15 strikeouts
        4 hits
        8 walks
        1 home run
        2 ground outs
        1 sac

        Since 10 of those 15 strikeouts came in the first 13 at bats looks like Babe was at least making contact later on, more contact than in the first 13 at bats.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rsuriyop View Post
          Yes to the former - the individual pitchers that the greatest hitters had the most trouble with. But thanks for the link though. Still worth checking out.
          Hi rsur,
          This is a neat link, too. Provided pitch-by-pitch matchup information for everyone post 1957.

          Head to Head

          Baseball-reference is a bit behind in uploading the retrosheet data. Retrosheet has complete PBP data for 1872, 1874, 1911, 1921, 1922, 1954, and 1956-2007 for the National League.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
            Hi rsur,
            This is a neat link, too. Provided pitch-by-pitch matchup information for everyone post 1957.

            Head to Head

            Baseball-reference is a bit behind in uploading the retrosheet data. Retrosheet has complete PBP data for 1872, 1874, 1911, 1921, 1922, 1954, and 1956-2007 for the National League.
            Cool!

            This method will certainly take me a while to find out just who was #1 against Cobb, Wagner, Williams, etc, but the link should still be very useful for me. Thanks again, csh!
            "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
            -Satchel Paige

            Comment


            • #7
              Here's a few for you:

              Willie Mays' record against some prominent pitchers.

              Code:
              ----------------------PA----AB---H-2B--3B-HR RBI BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP
              +-----------------+-------+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+-----+-----+-----+-----+---+---+---+---+---+------+-------+
               Bob Gibson          108    92  18  1  0  3   9  16  30  .196  .315  .304  .619   0   0   1   0   0                              
                                         
               Steve Carlton        75    62  11  3  0  2   7  12  15  .177  .307  .323  .630   0   1   0   0   0
              Hank Aaron had 3 hits in 37 PA's with 13K vs. Don Wilson.

              Barry Bonds went 3 for 33 with 6K vs. Chuck McElroy.

              Many others come to mind...too many to post @ the moment.

              Let me know what you find.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rsuriyop View Post
                Cool!

                This method will certainly take me a while to find out just who was #1 against Cobb, Wagner, Williams, etc, but the link should still be very useful for me. Thanks again, csh!
                Any time, buddy. :cap:

                I have all of Cobb's matchups with more than 20 AB's against in Richard Bak's bio. I'll dig through that the next time I'm home.

                All I have for Wagner is the Mathewson matchup, which is in that thread I linked.

                Williams couldn't hit Billy Pierce, but then, there's an idea surfacing that Ted didn't hit lefties very well at all (compared to him against righties, and the other greatest hitters against righties.) Awaiting the rest of his career for that one. All retrosheet has to date is his last 5 seasons.

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X