X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 6, 1917

Babe Ruth beat Walter Johnson 1-0 with a complete game shutout
    Ruth drove in the only run with a sac fly
    This ,to me, is a microcosm of why Ruth is heads and shoulders over everyone
    as the greatest player ever

Originally posted by lovethegame View Post
    Babe Ruth beat Walter Johnson 1-0 with a complete game shutout
    Ruth drove in the only run with a sac fly
    This ,to me, is a microcosm of why Ruth is heads and shoulders over everyone
    as the greatest player ever

You will probably be given some replys along these lines, Babe the pitcher was certainly not Walter Johnson and Babe played on one of the best teams at that time and Walter played for the lowly Senators. He was not Johnson who was one of the best over a long career. And Babe did play on a better team but in three of his wins he gave up no runs and his team scored only one run. Certainly tough losses for Walter in those 3 games, he gives up only one run in each loss.

Both true but that takes nothing away from Babe the pitcher in the three seasons he was a pitcher only 1915-16-17. In those three seasons he was with no doubt the best lefthander in all of baseball but often overlooked he was better than 90+ percent of all right handers, in both leagues. In those three seasons there were only two pitchers both right handed that were better than Ruth, two of the greatest, Walter Johnson and Grover Alexander, what does that say about Babe the pitcher. His hits per 9 inning over those three seasons lower than all pitchers both leagues.

From what I have Babe beat Walter 6 times and Walter won 3 times, some tough losses for both of them.

August 15, 1916 Babe wins 1-0, they both go the distance 13 innings.

May 9, 1918 Babe pitching and batting 4th. Walter pinch hits and drives in the run that ties the game in the 9th inning, sac fly. Washington scores a run in the 10th inning now lead 4-3. Babe pitched 10 innings, Walter pitches one inning, the 10th. Walter gets the first two batters out and then Ruth doubles, his 5th hit of the day. The game ends when Babe is out trying to steal 3rd base.

A tough loss for Babe, loses 4-3 in 10 innings and at the plate Babe was 5 for 5. One single, three doubles and one triple.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 05-06-2008, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I aware of Johnson's glowing praise of Babe's hitting. Is there any record of how he assessed Babe's pitching?

Comment

Originally posted by Proctor, CF View Post
        I aware of Johnson's glowing praise of Babe's hitting. Is there any record of how he assessed Babe's pitching?
        I don't recall ever seeing any comments on Babe as a pitcher by Walter Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
          You will probably be given some replys along these lines, Babe the pitcher was certainly not Walter Johnson and Babe played on one of the best teams at that time and Walter played for the lowly Senators. He was not Johnson who was one of the best over a long career. And Babe did play on a better team but in three of his wins he gave up no runs and his team scored only one run. Certainly tough losses for Walter in those 3 games, he gives up only one run in each loss.

Both true but that takes nothing away from Babe the pitcher in the three seasons he was a pitcher only 1915-16-17. In those three seasons he was with no doubt the best lefthander in all of baseball but often overlooked he was better than 90+ percent of all right handers, in both leagues. In those three seasons there were only two pitchers both right handed that were better than Ruth, two of the greatest, Walter Johnson and Grover Alexander, what does that say about Babe the pitcher. His hits per 9 inning over those three seasons lower than all pitchers both leagues.

From what I have Babe beat Walter 6 times and Walter won 3 times, some tough losses for both of them.

August 15, 1916 Babe wins 1-0, they both go the distance 13 innings.

May 9, 1918 Babe pitching and batting 4th. Walter pinch hits and drives in the run that ties the game in the 9th inning, sac fly. Washington scores a run in the 10th inning now lead 4-3. Babe pitched 10 innings, Walter pitches one inning, the 10th. Walter gets the first two batters out and then Ruth doubles, his 5th hit of the day. The game ends when Babe is out trying to steal 3rd base.

A tough loss for Babe, loses 4-3 in 10 innings and at the plate Babe was 5 for 5. One single, three doubles and one triple.
          Your well informed post , in my mind, supports mine.
          Ruth was at the top both as a hurler and a batsman
          Ruth had he remained on the hill he may very well have been a HOF pitcher but, as we all know, he became the Sultan of Swat

Comment

Originally posted by lovethegame View Post
            Ruth had he remained on the hill he may very well have been a HOF pitcher but, as we all know, he became the Sultan of Swat
            Things were certainly looking good. You can add at least 15 more wins for '18 and '19 had he remained solely a pitcher and taken his regular 40 starts per season. In all likelihood, 1919 would have been his fourth straight 20+ win season, and then he would be entering his prime at just 25 years old. He hadn't fully developed (began seriously working on a change of pace going into '18) and he didn't rely on trick pitches. He was extremely durable as an every day player and he never had arm trouble. Even pitched two complete game victories at ages 35 and 38. I think many people sell him short on their projections.

Btw: You could have chosen May 6, 1915 when he pitched 13 innings and allowed just 2 ER. This same game, he hit his first career homer off Warhop and had two singles.

For more, visit the BR Thread pitching page....http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...+Thread&page=5

Comment

Originally posted by Proctor, CF View Post
              Ask Bill "The Oracle of Delphi" Burgess.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X