Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dude
    replied
    I know some people don't like it, but try Wikipedia. There are a lot of pages for retired major leaguers, and some of them say what they're done since retirement, et all.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
    Try the Social Security Death Index. It's a terrific research tool. You should have a fairly accurate birth date range judging by the years they played. You can reference their hometowns, (which would be the SS issuing state) through Baseball-Reference.com
    Since they were ML'ers, there is a high probability there was some type of obituary written. You'll have to google the names one by one. Older players probably died in their hometowns. Both options are time consuming but rewarding if you enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

For living players, look in the white pages from their hometowns & the surounding areas. There's a good chance they went back there after their playing days were over. Again. time consuming, but you have to love the research.

Good luck.
    There's also the website http://www.findagrave.com/, which is an excellent base for who's buried where. Doesn't help with the living, though.

Leave a comment:

• whoisonit
    replied
    Originally posted by driver62 View Post
    I'm trying to do a "Where are they now?" list of Cincinnati Reds players from maybe the 1940's to the early 2000's. Anyone know where to start on this project?

The Reds official site lists all players who ever played for the Reds and their stats but no info on age, date of death or where they live now. I was going to contact the Reds on this but I see no e-mail address on their home page.

If this is in the wrong forum, please move it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Try the Social Security Death Index. It's a terrific research tool. You should have a fairly accurate birth date range judging by the years they played. You can reference their hometowns, (which would be the SS issuing state) through Baseball-Reference.com
    Since they were ML'ers, there is a high probability there was some type of obituary written. You'll have to google the names one by one. Older players probably died in their hometowns. Both options are time consuming but rewarding if you enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

For living players, look in the white pages from their hometowns & the surounding areas. There's a good chance they went back there after their playing days were over. Again. time consuming, but you have to love the research.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by driver62 View Post
    I'm trying to do a "Where are they now?" list of Cincinnati Reds players from maybe the 1940's to the early 2000's. Anyone know where to start on this project?

The Reds official site lists all players who ever played for the Reds and their stats but no info on age, date of death or where they live now. I was going to contact the Reds on this but I see no e-mail address on their home page.

Maybe the Enquirer?

Leave a comment:

• driver62
    started a topic A Little Help Please

A Little Help Please

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X