Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting Life now Digitized

From SABR - best news in a long time:

In 2006, SABR, the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and the LA84 Foundation (then known as the Amateur Athletic Foundation) agreed to team up to digitize The Sporting Life. Many thanks to Jim Gates and the Hall of Fame for providing their copy of this important periodical of the late 19th and early 20th century. I am pleased to let you know that many issues are now available for searching, researching, reading, and printing at the LA84 Foundation Digital Archive web site. Point your browser to: http://tinyurl.com/6yb7vg As you will notice, the full run is not available yet, but issues will be loaded throughout the coming months.
    Much easier to read than old Sporting News at paperofrecord.

Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
    From SABR - best news in a long time:

Much easier to read than old Sporting News at paperofrecord.
    How funny that you should mention this, Brian. Just about 2 days ago, I called that library in LA, and asked them about it. They gave me the link and I have been searching it for 2 days now, seeking info for my Meet the Sports Writers thread.

So far, they have only processed, for Sporting Life, 1897, 1904, 1905, 1907-09, 1911-14, 1917. The full run ran, 1883-1917.

They are also up to 1920 in Baseball Magazine. They assured me that they are continuing to process both publications, but that it is so slow due to the expense. But at least they are committed to finishing both projects.

The next publication due for online digitalization should be Baseball Digest, and the photo collections of Culver, Brown and Conlon. The Hall of Fame photo collection remains the Holy Grail and we'll probably never see that one put online. Pity.

Does anyone have the procedure for posting here at Fever articles from either Sporting News, Baseball Magazine or Sporting Life. I would love to learn that skill so that I could serve our community better.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-16-2008, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Great place to check out minor league box scores for Ty Cobb and others.

Comment

The latest SABR bulletin indicates that Sports Illustrated launched their digital archives. I looked through the site and it is outstanding. They have old articles going back to the 1950's and they have pictures without watermarks and links to video clips as well. Truly phenomenal.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c.../mdd/index.htm
        "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

Terrific resource Brian! In ten minutes I was able to find minor league stats for a player who was released after 7 games and was never listed in the official league stats because he didn't play 10 games. Sporting Life had terrific coverage of pro baseball.
          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

A good bit of 1902 is also available.

Comment

I couldn't help but notice that many of the Sporting News obits are taken, ver batim, from Sporting Life obits. I'm sure they had prior permission.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X