Unluckiest Man in Baseball History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unluckiest Man in Baseball History

Some would say Ed Delahanty, who died after being kicked off a train for being drunk and rowdy.

Some would say Dave Dravecky, who got cancer in his pitching arm, had half of the muscle removed, came back to pitch again... had his arm basically fall off in the middle of a pitch, re-injured the arm in a pileup celebrating the Giants' 1989 pennant win, got cancer in the arm again, had to get the arm amputated in 1993... and then got hit by a bus a little while back. He's still alive, at least, though.

Some would say Dizzy Dean, who suffered a career ending injury (essentially) in the All Star Game.

Some would say Rube Waddell... wasn't it he who suffered the debilitating arm injury after injuring his arm in a scuffle with a teammate and then sleeping with the injured arm out the window of a train?

Some would say Ray Fosse... or Tony Conigliaro... or Ray Chapman...

Who would you say?
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

dave dravecky. the name just makes me feel bad. that sucks. i remember when that happened, his arm breaking in two in the middle of a pitch. sick.

what about christy matthewson? didn't he get gassed in the army on accident at boot camp preparing for WWI? i think that's what led to his early death.

i still feel for roger maris for what he had to endure. that's just unfair. matt williams wasn't the greatest player niether but fans were rooting for him when he was on pace to break maris' mark in '94 before the strike.

roberto clemente, any red sox or cubs fans for the last 80 years, lou gehrig, the fans in '81 and especially '94, tony gwynn in '94 and lately, steve bartman. anybody would have did what he did but everybody wants to make him a scapegoat. gonzalez's (sp?) error was WAY more crucial. plus, the cubs had a chance to win the next game as well and blew it.
    My agenda: to eliminate the double-standard that so many thrive on

WHAT WOULD BE A "REVOLUTION" WOULD BE ACTUALLY CLEANING UP YOUR OWN MESS AND PROBLEMS, TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROBLEMS YOU AND YOU ALONE CREATED AND STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS...NOW THAT'S A REVOLUTION.

The greatest men to use a wooden stick: Babe Ruth, Ted Willaims, Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Barry Bonds, Sydney Crosby and Buddy Rich

Comment

I'd have to say Bill Bucker was pretty damn unlucky

Comment

Roberto Clemnte. Dying while trying to HELP people.

Comment

Walter Johnson.

He lost 1-0 a record 27 times in his career.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Don't forget Herb Score.

Johnson might have had the misfortune of losing all those 1-0 games, but he had a full career with a lot of great moments. Chapman, Score, and Conigliaro had very bright futures taken from them due to extremely unlucky breaks. The greatest misfortune is having the opportunity for greatness taken away from you by no fault of your own.

Lou Gehrig, Roberto Clemente, Harry Agganis, Thurman Munson, Danny Thompson, Francisco Barrios, Ross Youngs, Addie Joss, Steve Olin, Tim Crews, Billy McMillon, etc. Etc. Etc.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Lyman Bostock, Dickie Thon, Jim Eisenreich, Fred Merkle, JR Richard, Mark Fidrych, Steve Busby, the old-timer whose female stalker shot him, Ernie Banks (all those years & never got in the playoffs) h Don't use Delahanty, he CHOSE to get drunk. You guys are hitting all my lists, except I have a list of the luckiest MLers.
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                Don't use Delahanty, he CHOSE to get drunk.

if your going to think like that then you can say don't use clemente because he choose to get on that plane. i'm sure when delahanty go hammered that night he didn't think to himself, "gee, wouldn't it be great if i died tonight?"

what was the name of the umpire who got shot in the mid to early '90's chasing that theif? he got a bum deal, also. of course, one could think that he choose to chase that robber so it's his fault that he is a crippled.
                My agenda: to eliminate the double-standard that so many thrive on

WHAT WOULD BE A "REVOLUTION" WOULD BE ACTUALLY CLEANING UP YOUR OWN MESS AND PROBLEMS, TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROBLEMS YOU AND YOU ALONE CREATED AND STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS...NOW THAT'S A REVOLUTION.

The greatest men to use a wooden stick: Babe Ruth, Ted Willaims, Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Barry Bonds, Sydney Crosby and Buddy Rich

Comment

Originally posted by scootermojo

what was the name of the umpire who got shot in the mid to early '90's chasing that theif? he got a bum deal, also. of course, one could think that he choose to chase that robber so it's his fault that he is a crippled.
                  Steve Palermo.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Dickie Thon, who has headed for greatness. I lived a couple doors down from him, in an apartment complex, here in Houston - heck of a nice guy, what a tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by scootermojo
                      if your going to think like that then you can say don't use clemente because he choose to get on that plane. i'm sure when delahanty go hammered that night he didn't think to himself, "gee, wouldn't it be great if i died tonight?"

Tell me you're not trying to compare these. Palermo & Clemente were trying to HELP people. No, Delahanty didn't think that, but what good comes of getting drunk?
                      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Tell me you're not trying to compare these. Palermo & Clemente were trying to HELP people. No, Delahanty didn't think that, but what good comes of getting drunk?
                        Plenty of good comes from getting drunk. If it wasn't for getting drunk, most of us would never have been born.

Come on now. Everybody's gotten drunk and rowdy, most of us probably dozens of times. I don't think any of us ever expected to die because of it (unless we were stupid enough to try driving after getting drunk and rowdy).

Delehanty was drinking on a train. He wasn't driving, he wasn't opperating heavy machinery. He was sitting on a train. Of course he was drinking; what else would he do? Could he possibly have expected that they'd kick him off the train in the middle of nowhere and he'd get hit by another train/ fall off a bridge/ whatever?

Sorry, you can't say that Delahanty deserved to die because he'd been drinking. If that were true, then 99% of all people on Earth would deserve to die, many of them several times a day.
                        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

I didn't say he deserved to die, I said he deliberately put himself in a bad position, and not even with the hope of helping others.

Comment

I didn't say he deserved to die, I said he deliberately put himself in a bad position, and not even with the hope of helping others.
                            Well, ok. But so did Thurmon Munson. Munson knew that flying a plane was a dangerous activity. Does that mean he wasn't extremely unlucky that he died?

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                              Well, ok. But so did Thurmon Munson. Munson knew that flying a plane was a dangerous activity. Does that mean he wasn't extremely unlucky that he died?
                              I thought I included Munson in my list (unless someone else got him first). He was extremely unlucky, but it also depends upon what level his pilot skills were.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X