What Baseball Greats Wore #8???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Baseball Greats Wore #8???

I just got a number 8 jersey, and aside from Yogi Berra, who else has worn number 8? All I can think of are Ron Kumer and Mark Gradzelanek...I am getting depressed. HELP!!!

A Hall of Famer...
    A Red Sox legend..
    That last Triple Crown Winner.

Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

No, no, no, BoSox Rule, he was asking about baseball GREATS, not baseball MEDIOCRES.

By the way... Yogi wore number 8 for the Yanks, but so did Bill Dickey. It's the only number for the Yanks that's currently retired for two players.

That will change, someday, because #42 is retired for Jacky Robinson... but it's also worn by Mariano Rivera.
      "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

I'm Only 10 Years Old!

Sorry, I forgot to say I was a kid. I was hoping to find someone who is playing in MLB now, who wasn't a crummy player.

Comment

For previous greats Joe Morgan, Yogi Berra, Yaz, and Ripken Jr. wore 8.

I can't think of anyone prominent in the Majors right now who wears 8 (then again it's 11:30 and I'm really tired).

After doing a little research, the only two everday players that I know of who wear the number 8-
          Carlos Guillen, SS on the Detroit Tigers
          Mark Loretta, 2B on the San Diego Padres

Javy Lopez wore 8 up until this season ('cause Ripken's 8 is retired of course).

It seems to be a very popular number for backup catchers.
          Last edited by The Dude; 06-16-2004, 10:08 PM.
          AL East Champions: 1981 1982
          AL Pennant: 1982
          NL Central Champions: 2011
          NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Thanks!

I am familiar with Mark Loretta and Javy Lopez; Mark Loretta keeps getting hits off of Nomo and Odalis Perez every time!! Actually, most of the Padres do, even on opening day! :grouchy :grouchy :grouchy :grouchy Let me know if there are any active number 8's that don't suck!!

Comment

El Halo- Yaz his hardly mediocre. If he's mediocre then what is Yogi?

Comment

You guys keep talking about ALL those GREATS like Yogi, Yaz, and Ripkin that wore #8.

Well, in BROOKLYN, WE had the inimitable GEORGE "SHOTGUN" SHUBA who wore #8 for several years. Granted, HE didn't make any record books, but HE was OURS, and truly was "one of a kind"!

c.

:radio OUR MOMENT IN TIME - OCTOBER 4, 1955 - 3:43PM

Comment

Originally posted by cammysosa
                  I am familiar with Mark Loretta and Javy Lopez; Mark Loretta keeps getting hits off of Nomo and Odalis Perez every time!! Actually, most of the Padres do, even on opening day! :grouchy :grouchy :grouchy :grouchy Let me know if there are any active number 8's that don't suck!!

Guillen would be a good choice. He's having a great year, but he wears number 9, according to mlb.com.
                  Verification on which is correct, please!

You're better off going for the historic greats mentioned, although you seem to know about Loretta. I take it you're not a fan of his, Cammy.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Shotgun Shuba

[QUOTE=DODGER DEB]You guys keep talking about ALL those GREATS like Yogi, Yaz, and Ripkin that wore #8.

Well, in BROOKLYN, WE had the inimitable GEORGE "SHOTGUN" SHUBA who wore #8 for several years..."

Roger Kahn coverd Shuba well in The Boys of Summer, just about the only place you can read about him. Great nickname, described the way the line drives rang off his bat. I like the desciption of Shuba going home after games and practicing hundreds of swings nightly-in his basement, hitting a wad of tape suspended from a cord attached to his basement ceiling. A far cry from todays training methods, but effective enough to keep a job as major leaguer.

Comment

I wish Shuba was nicer. I called him up and asked if I could stop by his place for an autograph and he told me no. Back to #8 - Stargell, GCarter, Dawson, Lombardi.
                      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                        El Halo- Yaz his hardly mediocre. If he's mediocre then what is Yogi?
                        No harm meant, just ribbing ya. Yaz was of course a great player. 3000 hits, triple crown, all that.

Of course, my most lasting memory of Yaz is him falling to his knees after Bucky Dent's home run.

Great player. Though no Yogi, of course.
                        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

He's better than Yogi. He was also one of the best defensive leftfielders ever.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                            He's better than Yogi. He was also one of the best defensive leftfielders ever.
                            He is indeed one of the best defensive left fielders of all time. THat's not saying much, however, since you usually stick your worst fielder in Left Field.

And while I won't deny that he was a great player, he was in no way, shape, or form better than Yogi. Yogi deservedly earned a spot on the All - Century team. Yaz, no so much. Yogi won 3 AL MVP awards. Yaz, no so much. Yogi is unquestionably if not the best, then one of the two or three best ever at his position. Yaz, no so much.

Ted Williams was better than Yogi, and Tris Speaker, and Jimmie Foxx. Beyond that, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a Red Sox player better than Yogi Berra.

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                              He is indeed one of the best defensive left fielders of all time. THat's not saying much, however, since you usually stick your worst fielder in Left Field.

And while I won't deny that he was a great player, he was in no way, shape, or form better than Yogi. Yogi deservedly earned a spot on the All - Century team. Yaz, no so much. Yogi won 3 AL MVP awards. Yaz, no so much. Yogi is unquestionably if not the best, then one of the two or three best ever at his position. Yaz, no so much.
                              What about sticking your worst fielder in right or at first? I'm still working on my hypothetical Gold Gloves project, and Yaz gets close to one many years. I have him winning one in '64 and being considered for other years. Does Bench deserve a spot on the All-Century team? Yes, Berra won 3 MVPs, but I have doubts that he deserved any of them, whereas Yaz probably deserved '65, '67, '68 AND '70. Thank you New York press :grouchy
                              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X