Biggest Miracle team since '69 Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HomeRunHomer View Post
    If the 2004 Cardinals (over 100 wins) played the 2006 Cardinals in a best-of-seven series,

how would that go?
    In a short series, it depends upon who was hot that week. The best team doesn't always win the division series or NLCS.

In the real playoff though, the full, 162-game season, the 2006 team finishes about 20 games behind the 2004 team and completely out of the race.

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
      Worst-First.
      At the time it seemed like a miracle, but looking back, considering they went to the playoffs the next 3,000 seasons, it is hard to be too mezmorised by the 1991 Braves. The Celtics went "worst-first" this year. Is that a miracle? No-it is aquiraing Garnett and Allen. You would expect them to get better. The Braved improved drasticaly by getting Bream, Liebrandt, Pendleton, Lemke etc., and Smoltz, Glavine broke out, and Justice and Gant got older and better. You would expect them to to be much better.

My mistake regarding the Twins. I forgot how much of their roster turned over. Oops!
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
        What about the Cardinals?
        As a Tiger fan, I didn't think they were facing an 83-win team, I thought they were facing a team that won the pennant two years earlier and had some really good players in a year where they had healthh issues during the regaulr season.

It seemed like a great story in 1991 for the Braves, especially since they were so bad for so long before that for everyone to see on WTBS. Their staying powere simply showed a team that had matured and was not a fluky thing.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

The problem with the '91 Braves is...THEY DIDN'T WIN THE World Series!!! The Twins did and they also went worst-to-first!!!

Comment

No WS winner rose as dramatically as the 1969 Mets, but here are a few close ones.

1984 Tigers : Although they were heavily favored in the Series and did have a good 1983. But for a while (1974-1982) they were not very good.

1997 or 2003 Marlins : Not bad for a team that never finished 1st.

2002 Angels : Defeted Bonds. Although they had been a 2nd place team now and then in the mid/late 90s.

1988 Dodgers : Although they were gross underdogs in the Series, they were a good team in the 80s. 1988 was the 4th time the Dodgers had made the post-season in the 80s, so they were not exactly losers.

1987 Twins : "Pythagoras" would have said they should have been a 4th place team. They were a below average team according to both team ERA+ and team OPS+. They had a worse record in 1986 than they did in 1990.

1982 Cardinals

Comment

88 Dodgers

Easily the worst team to win the World Series in my lifetime, unless you count the 59 Dodgers when I was 1 year old.

They rode an unbelievable performance by Hershiser and a Clutch Post Season by Gibson. The rest of that club was Guys like Micky Hatcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Olliemets View Post
                Easily the worst team to win the World Series in my lifetime.
                You REALLY need to read up on the guys that won it the year before
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                  You REALLY need to read up on the guys that won it the year before
                  Has any other team won so much with so non-existent a bullpen as this team?

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                    Has any other team won so much with so non-existent a bullpen as this team?
                    Maybe this team

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BSN/1878.shtml
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

That bull pen stunk ! No wonder it was hardly used.

Comment

Oh...OK.. Now I see the bullpen.
                        But I'm still looking for the offense! Gotta magnifying glass?

Comment

Even though it does not meet the criteria listed above, there was one miracle that hasn't been mentioned that I think deserves some mention. That was the 78 Yankees. Of course, that was more like 51 than 69.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                          Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X