Robin Yount vs. George Brett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Yount vs. George Brett

Both had very similar careers and are very good friends. But who was the better player?

Brett Ranks third among career third basemen by the PCA/GI method at 423.73 GI Points...behind only Mathews and Schmidt. Yount ranks 8th among players who did not have one majority position (behind Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Frank Robinson, Harmon Killebrew, Willie Stargell, Dick Allen, and Rod Carew), with 397.11 GI Points.

Not using this as gospel, but I'd have picked Brett by a hair before looking at stats too..

Interesting question though.

Comment

Both were great players, who played for a long time. I originally just assumed that Brett was ahead (and he still is for me), but I thought it was by a large margin, but now after giving it a look, I believe it is at least closer than I did before.

Both played started within a year of each other ('73 and '74), and played for the same team their entire careers (Royals and Brewers), and both played for at least 20 years. They actually aren't that similar of players, other than having near the same number of hits, Brett comes out ahead in nearly every offensive category such as:

BA, OBP, SLG, doubles, triples, HR's, RBI, walks, (fewer) strikeouts

Yount only leads in Runs and SB's.

Plus Brett wins out in ink scores 39(159)-14(120)

Brett also wins out in the Standards and Monitor test.

Of course, being that Brett was a 3Bman, and Yount was a SS, so more offense is to be expected from Brett. So some leniency is given, but not enough to make up for the disparity here. But then there is the fact that Yount DID win 2 MVP's, while Brett only won 1, though Brett had 4 other top 10 voting seasons (was 2nd, twice), while yount didn't have any others.

Yount was a very good hitting SS, converted to OF, who could hold his own with his glove, and bat, and ran the bases well, but the same could be said about Brett, who played a very good 3B, but was just more dominant, winning 3 Batting titles, including his amazing .390 BA in 1980 (even if it was just in 117 or so games).

Comment

My gut reaction is to say Brett by a mile, but then I remember that Yount makes up a lot of ground in the his versatiltiy. The fact that he could play SS and CF well really helps his case. That being said, I still say Brett, but it's a lot closer than I originally thought.

Comment

--I've got Brett between 25-30 all time. Yount in the 40s. That isn't as big a gap as it appears though. After the top 20 or so the next 20-30 players are pretty close to each other.

Comment

Like XX, when I first saw this thread I orignally thought Brett by a mile. As I checked the stats I realized it's pretty close. Yount may have the best season between the two (his 1982), but Brett has two truly great years (1980 even though he got hurt and 1985), plus tons of really good years. Yount really tails off after that really great year and couple other good ones. He won two MVPs, but other than that never even finished top 10 in the voting, for only 108th all time in MVP shares. Brett had one award and five top 10 finsihes, for 22nd all time. Plus, Yount spent his first five full years and his last four full years as not much more than an average player.
            Last edited by 538280; 03-09-2006, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, Brett by a good margin. He was one of those guys who could carry a club and always showed up big in big games.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

It's kind of mind-boggling that Yount was only a 3-time All-Star, and none in his last 10 seasons, including his second MVP year.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                  It's kind of mind-boggling that Yount was only a 3-time All-Star, and none in his last 10 seasons, including his second MVP year.
                  As if we need more proof that GG and All-Star selections are rather meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by futurehalloffamer
                    Both had very similar careers and are very good friends. But who was the better player?
                    I'd have to go with Brett. His post-season dominance puts him in another league. Yount was a great player though.

Comment

Originally posted by futurehalloffamer
                      not even close. brett is way, way better at everything!

Comment

Brett all the way.
                        Image hosting by Photobucket

Comment

Both were very good players, but George Brett was the better of the two. He leads in almost every offensive statistical catagory, but yount was very versitle (1479 games at SS, and 1218 games in OF). A bit close but George Brett had a better career.
                          go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

I'll go with Brett here.

I've always thought a very interesting comparison was between two fellow Brewers - Robin Yount vs. Paul Molitor. Worthy of another thread maybe?
                            Red, it took me 16 years to get here. Play me, and you'll get the best I got.

Comment

Originally posted by torez77
                              I'll go with Brett here.

I've always thought a very interesting comparison was between two fellow Brewers - Robin Yount vs. Paul Molitor. Worthy of another thread maybe?
                              Actually, that is another good comparison.

Molitor has a better BA, is .300+ for his career, and hit over .320 SIX times, and had good decent doubles power (10th all-time), and had some HR pop, and was an overall good hitter, and was a little monster on the bases, averaging 30 SB's per 162 games over his 21 year career (504 career stolen bases), at a great 79%. He led in hits 3 times (9th all-time with 3319), and led in Runs 3 times as well. He never won an MVP, but he was 2nd in MVP voting in 1993, and 5th in 1987. He also never won a BA title, but he was top 10 ELEVEN times.

Yount was also a very good hitter, especially as a SS, not as dominant with the bat, but had better power, and he did win 2 MVP's. Molitor's OPS+ may be 7 points higher (122-115), but those 7 points are easily made up by positional adjustments (though Molitor did play both 2B and 3B).

So I would still have to go with Yount, but Molitor isn't too far behind.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X