No announcement yet.

Robin Yount vs. George Brett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go with Yount over Molitor in a heartbeat. Molitor is very underrated IMO, but he didn't really have much of a peak. He never was a truly dominant player like Yount was in 1982 and 1989. Plus, Yount played the field his whole career, giving him way more defensive value.

Comment

--Yount by a mile over Molitor.

Comment

Really close, isn't it? I would rate Yount slightly ahead of Brett as a fielder:while at shortstop, Robin was among the best; and then he was a good centerfielder later in his career. Brett was a good third-baseman, but not in the league of Mike Schmidt or several others.

Brett was clearly the better hitter: .305/.369/.487 compared with .285/.342/.430 for Yount. Both had long careers and both are members of the 3000-hit club.
        (Yount had 3142 career hits; Brett had 3154.) Both were elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot -- and in the same year (1999)!

IMO the HOF voting is the ultimate judge. Brett was elected on 98.2% of the ballots, versus only 77.5% for Yount. And that was by the same group of voters!
        Luke

Comment

Brett not quite by a mile, but at least three-quarters of a mile. He was a much better hitter and even though Yount has versatility, there's such a scarcity of centerpiece players that were career third basemen that you really can't afford to pass up on arguably the best one ever and certainly one of the top 3.
          "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
            Brett not quite by a mile, but at least three-quarters of a mile. He was a much better hitter and even though Yount has versatility, there's such a scarcity of centerpiece players that were career third basemen that you really can't afford to pass up on arguably the best one ever and certainly one of the top 3.
            I never understood the "versatility" argument? Brett was a fine defensive third baseman. What was to be gained by moving him to another position? Wasn't Bobbly Bonilla more "versatile" than Ozzie Smith since he played more defensive positions that Ozzie did? Why did Yount move to CF? I don't remember the story. Did the Brewers actually think that Ernest Riles was a better defensive SS than Yount?
            Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 03-13-2006, 07:41 AM.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

--Yount developed back problems that forced his move out of the IF.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X