Face of the Franchise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face of the Franchise

The American League is now over 100 years old.

Let's look at the eight teams that have been in the league for that full time.

Who was the best player (most admired/Face of the Franchise) for each of these eight franchises:

Red Sox: Tris Speaker? Ted Williams? Manny Ramirez?

Yankees: Babe Ruth? Lou Gehrig? Joe DiMaggio? Mickey Mantle? Derek Jeter?

Athletics: Al Simmons? Jimmie Foxx? George Brett? Reggie Jackson?

Senators/Twins: Walter Johnson? Harmon Killebrew? Kirby Puckett?

Indians: Nap Lajoie? Bob Feller? Lou Boudreau?

Tigers: Ty Cobb? Al Kaline?

White Sox: Joe Jackson? Eddie Collins? Ted Lyons? Luke Appling? Minnie Minoso? Nellie Fox?

Browns/ Orioles: George Sisler? Brooks Robinson? Cal Ripken?

The attached poll shows my choice for each of these franchises. If you agree with my pick, please check that item. Don't click that item if you prefer a different candidate.
    Red Sox: Ted Williams
    19.26%
    Yankees: Babe Ruth
    19.26%
    Phil/ KC /Oak A's: George Brett
    4.44%
    Senators/Twins: Walter Johnson
    12.59%
    Indians: Bob Feller
    12.59%
    Tigers: Ty Cobb
    15.56%
    White Sox: Luke Appling
    0.74%
    Browns /Orioles: Cal Ripken Jr.
    15.56%
    Luke

The Royal's (Brett) have no connection to the A's.

Comment

The face of the Indians franchise is Lou Boudreau. In the Jacobs Field era it is Jim Thome.

Comment

It's hard for me to pick between Foxx, Cochrane, and Grove for the A's...I don't think they had a major superstar with a long career who ended his career with the team. I actually think of Joe Rudi when I think of the A's!!
        Foxx, I guess...

I think I'd go with Fox over Appling for the ChiSox....tough choice.

It's probably heresy, but I like Brooks over Cal for the Browns/O's, because he was there for the glory years of the O's. They both had way long careers all with that team...
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Here are the results of the Polls I did last year on the Face of the Franchise series:

Baltimore Orioles: Cal Ripken Jr. - 81% of Voters
          Boston Red Sox: Ted Williams - 90% of Voters
          Chicago White Sox: Frank Thomas - 53% of Voters
          Cleveland Indians - Bob Feller - 62% of Voters
          Detroit Tigers: Ty Cobb - 69% of Voters
          Minnesota Twins: Kirby Puckett - 69% of Voters
          New York Yankees: Babe Ruth - 56% of Voters
          Oakland Athletics: Rickey Henderson - 50% of Voters
          Philidelphia Athletics: Connie Mack - 73% of Voters
          St. Louis Browns: George Sisler - 81% of Voters
          Washington Senators 1: Walter Johnson - 100% of Voters

Little side bar ... Appling, when did George Brett play for the KC Athletics?
          AL East Champions: 1981 1982
          AL Pennant: 1982
          NL Central Champions: 2011
          NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
            The Royal's (Brett) have no connection to the A's.
            My bad! I agree -- the A's moved from Kansas City to Oakland in 1968 and the Royals (expansion team) arrived in KC in 1969.
            Sorry about that. I agree that George Brett has no connection to the Athletics of old.
            Luke

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Here are the results of the Polls I did last year on the Face of the Franchise series:

Baltimore Orioles: Cal Ripken Jr. - 81% of Voters
              Boston Red Sox: Ted Williams - 90% of Voters
              Chicago White Sox: Frank Thomas - 53% of Voters
              Cleveland Indians - Bob Feller - 62% of Voters
              Detroit Tigers: Ty Cobb - 69% of Voters
              Minnesota Twins: Kirby Puckett - 69% of Voters
              New York Yankees: Babe Ruth - 56% of Voters
              Oakland Athletics: Rickey Henderson - 50% of Voters
              Philidelphia Athletics: Connie Mack - 73% of Voters
              St. Louis Browns: George Sisler - 81% of Voters
              Washington Senators 1: Walter Johnson - 100% of Voters

Little side bar ... Appling, when did George Brett play for the KC Athle

tics?
              I see that your poll treated a team as a new franchise when they moved to a different city -- so you have a choice for both Philadelphia and Oakland; WAshington and Minnesota; St. Louis and Baltimore. It is tougher for me to choose between The Big Train and Killebrew (or Puckett); or between Sisler and Ripken.

I never thought of Connie Mack. He is a good choice for the "Face" of the Philadelphia A's. I was thinking more of Al Simmons or Jimmie Foxx, and I ovelooked Ricky Henderson in Oakland.

I confess my careless thinking on George Kell. Haste makes waste.
              Last edited by Appling; 05-28-2008, 09:51 AM.
              Luke

Comment

I concur on the difficulty of picking one for multiple teams in the same franchise. I thought about maybe doing a seperate poll having the players face each other for franchise (IE, Henderson vs Mack). However, I think if one did that, then we would get completely different results, possibley Reggie Jackson or Catfish Hunter?
                AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                AL Pennant: 1982
                NL Central Champions: 2011
                NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                  The face of the Indians franchise is Lou Boudreau. In the Jacobs Field era it is Jim Thome.
                  Why not Feller?
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                    Why not Feller?
                    After 1940 Feller was never particularly popular in Cleveland. In 1941, Feller made some comments about the military draft that didn't play well in Cleveland, and also brought up the fact that he would probably be able to get a deferment, which really irritated a lot of people. When the war ended Feller was seen as being more interested in chasing a buck than in victoiries for the Indians (my opinion is that he viewed each of these with equal interest). Feller was also from a rural background, and that probably didn't play all that well in Cleveland either.

When he was playing for the Indians, I doubt if even Feller would thought he was the face of the team. Boudreau was eons ahead of him in the eyes of the fans.

Comment

After 1940 Feller was never particularly popular in Cleveland. In 1941, Feller made some comments about the military draft that didn't play well in Cleveland, and also brought up the fact that he would probably be able to get a deferment, which really irritated a lot of people. When the war ended Feller was seen as being more interested in chasing a buck than in victoiries for the Indians (my opinion is that he viewed each of these with equal interest). Feller was also from a rural background, and that probably didn't play all that well in Cleveland either.

When he was playing for the Indians, I doubt if even Feller would thought he was the face of the team. Boudreau was eons ahead of him in the eyes of the fans.
                      What about Cy Young? I'm not advocating him as the face of the franchise, certainly, but in regards to Cleveland baseball history, how is the fairly-local boy regarded in Cleveland? Any chance they name a swimming pool after him?
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

What about Cy Young? I'm not advocating him as the face of the franchise, certainly, but in regards to Cleveland baseball history, how is the fairly-local boy regarded in Cleveland? Any chance they name a swimming pool after him?
                        I don't think the Naps were all that popular in Cleveland, and I don't know if Young was seen as spending his best years in Cleveland. That said Young periodically made appearences at Indians games after his retirement. He is another player with a rural background. Newcomerstown is tiny now, and I just imagine how small it was when Young was growing up.

Comment

I don't think the Naps were all that popular in Cleveland, and I don't know if Young was seen as spending his best years in Cleveland. That said Young periodically made appearences at Indians games after his retirement. He is another player with a rural background. Newcomerstown is tiny now, and I just imagine how small it was when Young was growing up.
                          They have a nice display on him at the Gnadenhutten Historical Society Museum besides the memorial at the Newcomerstown community pool. You want to talk about tiny towns . . .
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

They have a nice display on him at the Gnadenhutten Historical Society Museum besides the memorial at the Newcomerstown community pool. You want to talk about tiny towns . . .
                            My mom lived in Gnadenhutten for a couple of years. I also had a couple of friends from Newcomerstown when I attended OSU. I don't remember Gnadenhutten even having a traffic light in the town.

Comment

After 1940 Feller was never particularly popular in Cleveland. In 1941, Feller made some comments about the military draft that didn't play well in Cleveland,
                              We're not only talking about SEVENTY YEARS AGO

<and also brought up the fact that he would probably be able to get a deferment, which really irritated a lot of people.>

I wonder if it irritated them that Feller gave four years out of his prime for the military

<When he was playing for the Indians, I doubt if even Feller would thought he was the face of the team. Boudreau was eons ahead of him in the eyes of the fans.>

My mom talked about Feller at least as much as she talked about Boudreau. Boudreau moved out of the area and has been dead for seven years. Feller is still in the area, working for the Tribe. Geez, sometimes I hear more about Colavito more than Boudreau
                              Last edited by RuthMayBond; 05-28-2008, 11:20 AM.
                              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X