No announcement yet.

Why Two All-Star Games (1959-62)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--I think it worked both ways. The players knew they needed to have a stronger, cohesive union if they were ever going to get fair play from the owners. Guys like Bunning and Roberts were smart and had a good general idea where they wanted to go, but they had no expertise in the field and were fuzzy on the details and process. They sought out a professional in the field of labor negotiations and found Marvin Miller. Miller brought focus and direction to union.
    --No question Miller was the key figure in making the union the controlling force in baseball it became, but he was able able to do so because he arrived at the right time in the games history. He was recruited to do what he did (even if the players didn't know exactly what that would be).

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
      --I think it worked both ways. The players knew they needed to have a stronger, cohesive union if they were ever going to get fair play from the owners. Guys like Bunning and Roberts were smart and had a good general idea where they wanted to go, but they had no expertise in the field and were fuzzy on the details and process. They sought out a professional in the field of labor negotiations and found Marvin Miller. Miller brought focus and direction to union.
      --No question Miller was the key figure in making the union the controlling force in baseball it became, but he was able able to do so because he arrived at the right time in the games history. He was recruited to do what he did (even if the players didn't know exactly what that would be).
      all good points - there was a progression of the process - i say from 1876 - i'm just saying there was a huge burst with miller's hiring that took the players exponentially past any preconceived ideas they may have had - in fact if we are talking about the players as a whole i doubt if there was any real concensus on the preconceived ideas - perhaps miller came along at the right time or perhaps he made it the right time

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
        I was wondering why there were two All-Star Games per season from 1959-62? And why did they discontinue?
        I'd like to know myself. I'm not a fan of the AS Game because of the unfairness of the selection process. The fans got the vote back and what's one of the first things they do? Vote for Luis Aparicio who was hitting .151 at the time. There aren't enough roster spots for all of the deserving players, and supposedly Selig pushed for the winner to have home field World Series advantage because players weren't taking it seriously. They haven't added more roster spots after the last expansion.

I might be interested if it expanded to two games or the best two out of three and expanded the roster so that a fan favorite or last hurrah guy doesn't take the spot of a deserving player. And quit having the World Series home field advantage ride on this game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X