Stats vs. Traditional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats vs. Traditional

OK, the argument rages on....and on, and on and on. Where do YOU stand?
    100% stathead, and you should be too.
    2.13%
    75% stats, 25% traditional. Numbers support the truth.
    44.68%
    50/50, I like the best of both worlds.
    36.17%
    25% stats, 75% traditional. Stats are nice support, but the writers and players know the truth,
    14.89%
    100% traditional. Stats are for geeks, only people that play the game know anything about it.
    2.13%

--For me it starts, but doesn't end, with the numbers. The non-statistical data is both interesting and informative. You've got to look behind and beyond the numbers to get the complete picture. The uber stats don't especially interest me. I'd rather mix my own cocktail of what is important from a variety of stats - and narrative information.

Comment

I find this poll insulting and refuse to answer.

I'm more than 75% a stathead, but the "and you should be too" implies that all people who are dedicated sabermetricians think people who are n ot are lower beings...it's just not true.

I'm a dedicated sabermetrician...probably 90+% rely on the statistics especially since I'm not a historical research expert and haven't been alive that long...but I believe in looking critically at the numbers through the logical lense of a traditionalist...there's a reason they believe the things they do, and it's my job to understand them and figure out if they might be on to something I'm missing.

Comment

I went with the 75% stats, 25% traditional. There is no way stats alone tell the whole story. Different era's, rule changes, equipment and probably some that I forgot.

I also lean more towards percentage based stats than cumulative stats, stats based on total numbers alone. The biggest reason for that the different number of games played, at bats, innings pitched, this is where percentage based stats give a more acurate account than total numbers.

Comment

Two interesting observations:
          1) NO ONE has voted 100% either way. as of this post
          2) baseballPAP, who says you should be 100% stats, didn't vote 100% stats
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

I really can't vote in this poll, because I'm less than 100% statistical (and I certainly don't think everyone should only rely on statistics) and more than 75%. Probably like 90% statistical. Traditional opinions are interesting and sometimes useful, but I have many huge problems with them. I had a long discussion with Bill on this when talking about Heinie Groh. I think Groh manifests the problems with historical opinions, in that they will never favor a player like that. Groh was a quiet, subtle player who did lots of things well and had great plate discipline. Historical opinions aren't very kind to a player like that, and I find it to be completely unfair to downgrade him because of peer opinion. Groh shouldn't be penalized because his skill set wasn't eye catching.

Also, it is nearly impossible to just watch a hitter (without looking at statistics) and tell how good he is. The difference between a .275 hitter and a .300 hitter is like two or three hits in a week.

Comment

I think you guys are taking these polls too seriously. Why so sober? I look at exercises like this as fun. Just fun, guys. Still know how to have fun?

Baseball is fun. So you better agree with me!!

Comment

50/50. And everyone else should be too!

Right? It's only fair, isn't it?
                Red, it took me 16 years to get here. Play me, and you'll get the best I got.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                  I think you guys are taking these polls too seriously. Why so sober? I look at exercises like this as fun. Just fun, guys. Still know how to have fun?

Baseball is fun. So you better agree with me!!
                  Thanks Bill. I meant all of the comments a bit tongue in cheek....I had absolutely no intent to offend anyone.
                  Also, I'm NOT 100% stats....and saying "you should be too" was poking fun at all of us, not just the #s folks!

Comment

Originally posted by baseballPAP
                    Thanks Bill. I meant all of the comments a bit tongue in cheek....I had absolutely no intent to offend anyone.
                    Also, I'm NOT 100% stats....and saying "you should be too" was poking fun at all of us, not just the #s folks!
                    Knew that! Which is why I was putting the cherry on top of the whipped cream!

Just love a good roast. Especially roast buttocks of the pompous.

Bill

Comment

Wow, that really makes me appreciate Ubiq since I think he was defending me in one of the threads
                      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

I chose the 75/25 stats option since I want to be a participater, but I am more 90/10 like some of the others have said.
                        I am the author of "Checks and Imbalances" and "The State of Baseball Management."

Comment

Going into it, 50/50, although in the end it probably ends up more like 65/35 stats; not necessarily by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            Wow, that really makes me appreciate Ubiq since I think he was defending me in one of the threads
                            Now where was I doing such a silly thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                              Now where was I doing such a silly thing?
                              My bad, I was trtyin' ta give ya credit

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X