X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmc_6882
    • Oct 2002

All-Time Favorite "Exhilarating" Baseball Moments from Your Lifetime

In other words, moments of triumph that made you want to be that directly involved somehow or made you want to cry. I'm not going to include events like Carlton Fisk's home run in the 1975 World Series or Bobby Thompson's "Shot Heard 'Round the World" since they're too obvious (just like I won't include Kirk Gibson's home run in the 1988 World Series or Joe Carter's home run in the 1993 World Series), and I wasn't even born yet anyway (I was born on June 8, 1982). In no particular order:
    1. Will Clark's game winning base hit off of Mitch Williams in Game 5 of the 1989 NLCS.

2. Kirby Puckett's home run off of Charlie Leibrandt in Game 6 of the 1991 World Series.

3. Sid Bream beating out Barry Bonds' throw in Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS. Sean McDonough's voice cracking in excitement while commentating for CBS, was the topper.

4. The Arizona Diamondbacks rallying to beat the New York Yankees in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. I still remember screaming that the Diamondbacks had won the game/World Series a split second (the ball hadn't even dropped yet) after Luis Gonzales made contact with the ball.

5. Steve Garvey's walk-off home run off of Lee Smith in Game 5 of the 1984 NLCS. I think that I always get chills thinking about the slow-motion camera shot of Garvey casually lifting his right fist in the air.

6. Orel Hershisher striking out Howard Johnson in Game 7 of the 1988 NLCS (a series in which the Dodgers came in as heavy underdogs against the Mets).

7. Gene Larkin's blooper to clinch the World Championship for the Twins in 1991. It's hard to forget Jack Buck getting super excited ("The Twins are going to win the World Series!!!") while commentating the moment on CBS.

8. George Brett racing over to hug Bret Saberhagen the exact moment that the Kansas City Royals clinched their first ever World Championship (1985).

9. Robin Ventura's game winning home run in the 15 inning long fifth game of the 1999 NLCS.

10. Edgar Renteria's World Series clinching base hit off of Charles Nagy in 1997 (probably one of the more underrated World Series in recent memory).

Honorary mentions:
    *Edgar Martinez driving in Ken Griffey, Jr. to help the Seattle Mariners reach the League Championship Series for the first time ever (Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS against the Yankees).
    Last edited by tmc_6882; 03-20-2006, 09:53 PM.
  • Sultan_1895-1948
    Prince of Pounders
    • Sep 2005

Well gee, now that you took them all #@!! Just playin'

Hmmmm...other than personal "exhilarating" baseball moments, it would have to be going to San Diego for the 1992 All Star game. Went to the HR derby and the All-Star game. I had only been up to the Kingdome one time before that, so it was my second live MLB game. Pretty cool watchin' Mac put on a show in derby, and watchin' Eckersley pitch in the 9th.
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 03-21-2006, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Myankee4life
      • Jan 2005

Games 4 and 5 of the 2001 WS and A-rods 3rd HR of the game being a GrandSlam.
      "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

• jrh31584
        • Aug 2003

3. Sid Bream beating out Barry Bonds' throw in Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS. Sean McDonough's voice cracking in excitement while commentating for CBS, was the topper.

4. The Arizona Diamondbacks rallying to beat the New York Yankees in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. I still remember screaming that the Diamondbacks had won the game/World Series a split second (the ball hadn't even dropped yet) after Luis Gonzales made contact with the ball.
        These are my top two.

Comment

I'll choose two that I was at the ballpark to witness:

1) 1986 ALCS Game 5-Dave Henderson's HR. The turning point of that series. The Angels only needed one victory at Fenway, after this game, to go to the World Series and I don't think anyone gave them a chance to win.

2) 1995 ALDS Game 1-Tony Pena's game winning HR to give Cleveland their first win the post-season since game 6 of the 1948 World Series.

Comment

• RedSoxVT92
            Smokey Joe
            • Mar 2006

winning 2004 alcs and world series
            go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

• yanks0714
              Yanks Fan Since 1957
              • Jan 2000

This ones easy for me:

1) Maz' HR to open the bottom of the 9th in the 1960 WS. I was not quite 8 years old. I cried myself to sleep. I try not to think about it too often...or I'll cry myself to sleep again even 45 years later. :o

2) The single most exciting was the bottom of 9th of the 1962 WS. The half inning had the most drama anybody could possibly ask for. I'd vote for this even if McCovey had gotten the hit to drive in both Alou and Mays.

3) The 1986 WS. Buckner's blunder. Calvin Schiraldi. Bob Stanley. It was the most stunning turn of events I've ever watched. It was then that i just KNEW there really was a 'Curse of the Bambino'.

4) The Arizona / Yankee WS was a killer. Somehow I just knew the Yanks were going to lose that series. Not being able to hit Randy and Schilling is one thing...but not being able to hit Anderson and Bautista either about does it. I, too, knew that Gonzalez' hit was good even as he connected because the Yankees were playing 'up' and Jeter never had a chance to get back on it.

5) The 3 straight years in the 70's that the Yanks and Royals faced off in the AL playoffs '76 - '78. Chris Chambliss' HR. Yeah, the Yanks and Red Sox have a rivalry, but it seems a bit contrived to me, more of a media creation. The Yanks/Royals playoffs were absolutely incredible

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

• Blackout
                Circle of Bosses
                • Apr 2005

2003 ALCS--most competitive series I've ever seen two teams play

Comment

• TonyK
                  • Aug 2005

1. Watching Ted Williams hit a long HR at Fenway.

2. A group of us listened to a transister radio the final day of the '67 AL season when the Red Sox clinched the pennant over three other teams.

3. Game 2 and Game 6 of the '75 WS at Fenway. Cincinnati had an awesome lineup and any one of them could defeat you by themselves.

4. Watching game 4 of the 2004 WS and not believing how fast the game moved along to the final out.
                  "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                  "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Bench 5
                    • Nov 2005

1) White Sox Paul Konerko jacking Grand Slam in Game 2 of the 2005 World Series.
                    2) Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's homerun record. I was only seven but I still remember watching it at the time.
                    3) Reggie Jackson cracking 3 homers n a game in 1977 World Series. At the time I was upset because he tied Babe's record but it was electrifying.
                    4) Rookie Bob Welch striking out Reggie Jackson with pure heat in Game 2 of the 1978 World Series.
                    5) Pete Rose catching Bob Boone's muffed attempt to catch a foul ball in the 1980 World Series. Rose used to bounce the ball up and down off the turf like a superball.
                    6) Dave Henderson smacking a homerun off Donnie Moore in Game 5 of ALCS when it looked like the game was over. I hated the Angels so I was a happy camper.
                    7) Fred Lynn smacking Grand Slam in 1983 All Star game at Old Comiskey. It was the 50th anniversary of the All Star game and the AL had lost about 12 in a row so it was quite a bog deal at the time.
                    8) Bartman interfering with Moises Alou in Game 6 of the NLCS.
                    9) Byung Young Kim giving up game tying homers in the 9th to the Yankees in games 4 and 5 of 2001 WS.
                    10) Carlton Fisk tagged out two runners back to back in a late season game in 1983. One of the coolest plays I've ever seen. The lead runner was only about 5 feet in front of the trailer. It was a bang-bang-bang play.
                    "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

• VTSoxFan
                      Ever Hopeful BoSox Mod
                      • Jan 2000

Probably 2/3 of the games I see make me want to be there.. but I will winnow out a few.

-Though not part of a game, I will never forget the Opening Ceremony to the '99 All-Star Game -- the great players of the past, and the great players of the day, and Ted Williams... oh!

-The Easter 2002 game, Yanks v. Sox at Fenway, Nomo v. Pettitte -- a wild affair, with lead changes, and great plays and homers and pretty much almost everything that can happen in a game happening. ANd of course My Boys won.

--July 13, '00, Mets v Sox -- hard-fought game, but the Sox were trailing in the bottom of the 9th, 2 on, 2 out, a 2-2 count on Brain Daubach, who fouled off a mess of pitches and then hit a screaming double to the right field wall and won the game...

-Lowe's no-hitter

-The '99 ALDS, Sox v. Indians

-The Duel between Pedro and Clemens in late May '02 -- scoreless into the 9th, Clemens being almost unhittable and Pedro, ailing with a chest cold, pitching on fumes but still holding his own, and Trot's game-winning homer in the 9th...

-The '03 ALDS, Sox v. Oakland...so much Drama

-The '03 ALCS -- More drama, but the ending still makes me quiver with horror

-Games 4,5,6,7 of the '04 ALCS... and of course the World Series...

These are all pretty recent, but until I got satellite TV in '98, I couldn't see but maybe a half-dozen games a year, so.... I wish I could have seen some of the great games of the past.
                      --Annie
                      Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                      Remember Yellowdog
                      ABNY

Comment

• Myankee4life
                        • Jan 2005

Oh I forgot the 2003 ALCS...that was something great (at least for me)
                        "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

• FatAngel
                          • Jul 2005

[QUOTE=yanks0714]This ones easy for me:

3) The 1986 WS. Buckner's blunder. Calvin Schiraldi. Bob Stanley. It was the most stunning turn of events I've ever watched. It was then that i just KNEW there really was a 'Curse of the Bambino'.

I´m too young to have watched this live and get the excitement of the moment - but from what I read what preceded this famous error it´s hardly Buckner´s fault the Sox lost.
                          But it´s a fine example how cruel The Game can be, because Buckner enjoyed a career 99% of all Major Leaguers would have died for - 21 seasons.
                          My recent favorite is the entire 2004 ALCS, although I´m neither a Sox fan nor a Yankee hater
                          Last edited by FatAngel; 03-14-2006, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• tmc_6882
                            • Oct 2002

[QUOTE=FatAngel]
                            Originally posted by yanks0714
                            This ones easy for me:

I´m too young to have watched this live and get the excitement of the moment - but from what I read what preceded this famous error it´s hardly Buckner´s fault the Sox lost.
                            But it´s a fine example how cruel The Game can be, because Buckner enjoyed a career 99% of all Major Leaguers would have died for - 21 seasons.
                            My recent favorite is the entire 2004 ALCS, although I´m neither a Sox fan nor a Yankee hater
                            The Bill Bunker error (and to a lesser extent, Leon Durham's error in Game 5 of the 1984 NLCS) is another one of those moments which came in my lifetime, but I still wish I was able to watch it as it happened live (I was four years old at the time). I guess was stands out the most about the Buckner play was Vin Scully's often-repeated call (Scully, as far as I now, rarely raises his voice out of sheer excitement or disbelief) off of NBC.

Comment

• west coast orange and black
                              • Aug 2004

stickin' to in-person occasions:

the good of it
                              bobby bonds' home debut.
                              frank robinson at the helm on opening day for the giants.
                              brian johnson's first-pitch home run in the 12th to beat the hated dodgers in late 1997.
                              the final giants game at candlestick park, in 1999.
                              jt snow's homerun to tie game 2 of the 2000 playoffs against the mets.

the not-so good
                              1989 earthquake just prior to game 3 at candlestick park.
                              the hated dodgers beating the giants on the final game of 2003 to deprive a one-game playoff with the braves.
                              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X