X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torez77
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    Something that doesn't seem to get mentioned much about Ryan is the fact that in addition to being the career strikeouts leader, he is the career leader in walks allowed, and leads that category by almost 1000 walks over the next guy (Steve Carlton). A rather dubious distinction, IMO.
    A testament to the way he pitched. He was a very wild pitcher, yet he was effective. Intimidation was his weapon. He was the Dale Earnhardt of baseball (the Intimidator). He's the greatest wild pitcher of all time.

I gotta pick Clemens in this comparison, though. He's the total package. I imagine he'll run away with this poll, as many here on BBF rank him as the greatest pitcher ever. I have him #3. I believe I have Ryan in my lower top 20.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Something that doesn't seem to get mentioned much about Ryan is the fact that in addition to being the career strikeouts leader, he is the career leader in walks allowed, and leads that category by almost 1000 walks over the next guy (Steve Carlton). A rather dubious distinction, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    I don't think Nolan would be as effective in todays game, as he was back then, because the high strike isn't called anymore. His 12-6 curve played nicely off his amazing heater to keep hitters' eye level changing. Today, hitters wouldn't need to respect his high fastball as much, which wouldn't make him as effective imo.

Having said that, if there was a million bucks on the line for one AB to put the ball in play, I'd rather face Clemens.

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    Originally posted by digglahhh
    I imagine this will be closer than Thomas vs. Gehrig, but it really shouldn't.
    I can think of legitimate arguments for Thomas over Gehrig (though I wouldn't agree with any of them). But there's no excuse on this one.

Leave a comment:

• digglahhh
    replied
    I imagine this will be closer than Thomas vs. Gehrig, but it really shouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    started a poll Roger Clemens vs. Nolan Ryan?

Roger Clemens vs. Nolan Ryan?

Roger Clemens
    80.29%
    Nolan Ryan
    19.71%
    Simple question - who was better?

This actually started as a tangent discussion in a thread in the Red Sox forum, so I thought I'd remove it to here. I was surprised to see some Red Sox fans argue in favor of Ryan over Clemens.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X