Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle1
    replied
    Plus, now we know that Clemens was on drugs the whole time.

Leave a comment:

• DonnieBaseball
    replied
    Ryan had some amazing genetics for durability, curious how he would have done with the added benefits of HGH.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90
    replied
    Feel like comparing the two great pitchers about two years after the last post.

Roger Clemens: 354-184, .658 WP%, 170 games above .500, 7 ERA titles, 14 top-10 finishes in ERA, 7 Cy Youngs, 2.96 K/BB ratio

Nolan Ryan: 324-292, .526 WP%, 32 games above .500, 2 ERA titles, 8 top-10 finishes in ERA, 0 Cy Youngs, 2.04 K/BB ratio

I think Roger is better. Ryan is probably closer to Don Sutton, another great pitcher who benefited from pitchers parks, than Clemens.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by sopclod
    Three days?
    Read back a few posts. It'll make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Sports Fan 07
    replied
    Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
    You mean the one where the fans omitted, among others, Lefty Grove, Honus Wagner, Warren Spahn and Stan Musial?
    Yeah

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/limc100.shtml

Leave a comment:

• BaseballHistoryNut
    replied
    You mean the one where the fans omitted, among others, Lefty Grove, Honus Wagner, Warren Spahn and Stan Musial?

Leave a comment:

• Sports Fan 07
    replied
    Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
    Not in terms of personality, but in terms of on-field performance, Nolan Ryan was the Dave Kingman of pitchers. And I find it hard to believe this thread is anything other than facetious.
    Oh I KNEW there would be people that would vote for Ryan. Just think back to that silly All Century Team - and that wasn't that long ago.

Leave a comment:

• BaseballHistoryNut
    replied
    Originally posted by barzilla
    Yes, I agree. If the poll question were "who would I rather pay money to pitch?" it would be Ryan hands down. However, I think putting in the top 20 is excessively generous. We're talking about a pitcher who was not only unworthy of Cy Young consideration in most seasons, but was also the second or third best pitcher on his team in his seasons.

Ryan's record is an impressive streak of longevity, but if you're talking about "greatest" in any meaningful way then he shouldn't be included in the discussion.
    Not in terms of personality, but in terms of on-field performance, Nolan Ryan was the Dave Kingman of pitchers. And I find it hard to believe this thread is anything other than facetious.

Leave a comment:

• sopclod
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
    Now, I like Seattle1, but I don't play favorites as a moderator. How does three days sound?

Three days?

Leave a comment:

• four tool
    replied
    Be afraid of Ryan because of his lack of control, but Ryan lost a lot of 3-2 games, so Clemens is more dangerous, he won more often when he had to and lost a higher % to bad relief than Ryan did. Ryan had a lot of opportunites to win and somehow managed not to--not the team's fault.

Leave a comment:

• BaseballHistoryNut
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
    Now, I like Seattle1, but I don't play favorites as a moderator. How does three days sound?
    I'm a criminal defense attorney, and thus leniently disposed toward those who commit "crimes"? But how does life imprisonment without the possibility of parole sound?

Leave a comment:

• sturg1dj
    replied
    so who would you be more afraid of facing?

Clemens is not afraid to brush you back and bean you, and neither was Ryan, but Ryan also had control problems which meant he may hit you without trying. And the difference is Clemens hitting 96 and Ryan hitting 100.

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    Originally posted by four tool
    Clemens beats Ryan in everything from ERA+ to won/lost to winning in postseason, so why do you think Ryan is better?
    But the thing about Ryan is he excelled on poorer teams in general than Clemens has had the privilege of pitching for his whole career. Plus he threw seven no-hitters spanning from the early 70s to the early 90s (when he was in his mid-40's). Plus longetivity. If he had played on playoff caliber teams every year, maybe he would have won 400 games!

Leave a comment:

• four tool
    replied
    Originally posted by Seattle1
    Probably a lot of people are voting for Clemens because he is still playing and his career exploits are still fresh in most people's minds. I voted for Ryan because I think he was a little better. If someone were to magically give me the choice, do you want Roger Clemens in his prime or Nolan Ryan in his prime for your pitcher on your baseball team, I would say Nolan Ryan.
    Clemens beats Ryan in everything from ERA+ to won/lost to winning in postseason, so why do you think Ryan is better?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Seattle1
    Probably a lot of people are voting for Clemens because he is still playing and his career exploits are still fresh in most people's minds. I voted for Ryan because I think he was a little better. If someone were to magically give me the choice, do you want Roger Clemens in his prime or Nolan Ryan in his prime for your pitcher on your baseball team, I would say Nolan Ryan.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X