Multi-Subject Poll:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Jackie had mitigating circumstances. Intangibles. I have my reasons. Had stress levels we can't measure or credit him properly for.
    Like Joe didn't, Bill? Not quite to the degree of Robinson, certainly, but Joe was the smartest player of his time, one of the smartest of all time. Have you ever read the Bill James article where he determines Joe Morgan is the "smartest" player of all time?

Morgan is Jackie's career, but twice as long. Morgan had a better peak. Morgan was the best player of the 1970s, quite clearly. I love Jackie, I have him higher than most, but he's not within a mile of Joe Morgan.

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
      I don't know, maybe I'm wrong on this, but I seem to remember hitting a full 40 points higher for his career than Morgan did.
      You just never remember the Houston park, the pitcher's era, OBP, details like that. Long live Bob Fothergill
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

To tell the truth, I have no idea what the hell my lists are based on. I'm a very strange guy!

Bill
        The truth is out there
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
          Like Joe didn't, Bill? Not quite to the degree of Robinson, certainly, but Joe was the smartest player of his time, one of the smartest of all time. Have you ever read the Bill James article where he determines Joe Morgan is the "smartest" player of all time?

Morgan is Jackie's career, but twice as long. Morgan had a better peak. Morgan was the best player of the 1970s, quite clearly. I love Jackie, I have him higher than most, but he's not within a mile of Joe Morgan.
          Chris,

Why still squawking'? Thanks to your relentless pressure, I move you man up several clicks, give him his love. That proved I'm open to argument, if you've got something to say, and my recent elevation of Babe over Willie shows I'm open to doing heavy lifting, even when it hurts. So why still squawkin'? Quit whining and do something about all the stuff that we've all been after you about.

Time for you to show US that you've still open to rearrange your disaster lists. Time for you to move up Ty/Honus/Rajah! (Wink)
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-22-2006, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            The truth is out there
            Wonder how many others go with their gut but are too embarrassed to admit it, and hide behind bogus numbers shuffling? Hmm.

Comment

Chris,

Why still squawking'? Thanks to your relentless pressure, I move you man up several clicks, give him his love. That proved I'm open to argument, if you've got something to say, and my recent elevation of Babe over Willie shows I'm open to doing heavy lifting, even when it hurts. So why still squawkin'? Quit whining and do something about all the stuff that we've all been after you about.

Time for you to show US that you've still open to rearrange your disaster lists. Time for you to move up Ty/Honus/Rajah! (Wink)
              You moved Joe up several "clicks"? Where'd you have him before? Outside the top 10?

And no, I'm not going to move any of those guys up, except maybe Honus will move over Ted Williams. I've exausted all my reading on those guys, my general finding has been they have been hopelessly overrated. Sorry, that's my conclusion. I've shared it with you all too many times.

Comment

Bill, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner on this, but these are the scores for my new ink system on those seasons you requested:

Ruth '24-84
                Musial '48-89
                Medwick '37-83
                Cobb '11-97
                Lajoie '01-95
                Wagner '08-89
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2006, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Chris, how are you doing that?

Did I do this wrong? I got 74 for Babe.

BA - 12
                  OBP - 10
                  SLG - 10
                  OPS - 15
                  HR - 10
                  RBI - 4
                  Runs - 5
                  Hits - 2
                  BB - 5
                  Team games - 1

Did you add a runs created category?

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
                    You moved Joe up several "clicks"? Where'd you have him before? Outside the top 10?

And no, I'm not going to move any of those guys up, except maybe Honus will move over Ted Williams. I've exausted all my reading on those guys, my general finding has been they have been hopelessly overrated. Sorry, that's my conclusion. I've shared it with you all too many times.
                    I told you in post #46 where I had him. I had Morgan around 9th among 2B. I moved him up because of your information.

I recently moved Babe up, Sisler/Ewing/Collins down. So, I am still trying to grow and open myself to new stuff. Honus over Ted is still good. Why wait?

Bill

Comment

And I only got 81 for Cobb's '11 season. What method are you using Chris?

BA - 10
                      OBP - 9
                      SLG - 10
                      OPS+ - 15
                      HR - 9
                      RBI - 5
                      Runs - 5
                      Hits - 5
                      doubles - 5
                      SB - 5
                      BB - 0
                      triples - 3
                      PA - ?
                      Team games - 0

Comment

Randy,

Chris is awarding 12 points, instead of 10 for leading your league in BA & SA.

Bill

Comment

Oh shoot, you're right :o

I still think there should be a runs created one, and get rid of the PA and team games played.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                            Oh shoot, you're right :o

I still think there should be a runs created one, and get rid of the PA and team games played.
                            I challenged him to come up with a combo Black/grey Ink stat.

Nothing stopping you from coming up with one of your own?

Just a thought.

Bill

Comment

I challenged him to come up with a combo Black/grey Ink stat.

Nothing stopping you from coming up with one of your own?

Just a thought.

Bill
                              Yeah, all these pictures that I'm now swimming in, thanks to you

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                                Yeah, all these pictures that I'm now swimming in, thanks to you
                                There will be time enough for stats - later, after we upset the Fever community for amazing shots.

Bill

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X