Joe Jackson Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Jackson Thread

Joe Jackson deserves a thread of his own. I hope we can avoid the Black Sox Scandal issue in this one. Let's reserve this thread for the non-Black Sox' scandal Joe Jackson issues, and let the other thread---Joe Jackson's Innocense---deal with Joe's Black Sox' Scandal stuff.

But realistically, I realize that if one tries to assign value to him, that isssue might come up. But please, let's just refer to it obliquely, and only refer to it as a reference point, and skirt it so that it doesn't dominate this thread.

Here is a link to a Joe Jackson website.

Shoeless Joe Jackson's Virtual Hall of Fame
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-28-2012, 06:57 PM.

Originally posted by Bill Burgess
    I am saying that Joe Jackson needs/deserves his own thread, and I hope we don't get bogged down in the 1919 Black Sox Scandal. I hope we can discuss him as a player, and keep it as above the fighting/arguing as we can.
    Fair enough Bill.

I've been sitting on this AP press photo marking the passing of Joe for a while.
    I wasn't sure what context would be good to show it...but this would seem to be the right thread. So, this is from December 5, 1951. I like how the AP didn't get into the scandal...but DID mention how, "He was considered by many to have been one of the greatest natural hitters of all time".
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Joe Jackson - 1914

Comment

Joe Jackson - September 1919
        I spent a few hours cleaning this picture up. I could probably spend a month on it...but here ya go for now.

Comment

According to MLB.com:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

I wouldn't be surprised if what Macker said was the common interpretation of the times.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

His rookie year is never mentioned with the greatest of all-time. Despite the fact that it may very well be.
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight
              I'd like to see the what the Trout lovers have to say about this. Seriously, those guys who worship his 2012 are so annoying.
              Who worships Mike Tout's 2012 season? Oh..wait...:hyper:

Mike Trout SI Cover 1.jpg

Mike Trout ESPN the Mag.jpg
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

It's been established for years that Joe Jackson was "illiterate". Why he completely illiterate or functionally illiterate?
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

joes_story_header_2.jpg

shoeless-joe-jackson-shoes.jpg

e901_jackson.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
                    I don't understand the hate for Mike Trout. Does anyone really dispute that he had a historic season for a 20 year old rookie? If it wasn't the best ever, it was at least top 3.
                    Undoubtedly, if any season challenges Jackson's it is his. I think Trouts was better. Don't wanna get too deep into the debate though. It's Joe's thread after all.

Comment

Hometown tribute for Shoeless Joe
                      07/18/05

The Greenville Bombers honored Greenville, South Carolina native son "Shoeless" Joe Jackson on Saturday, July 16 in memoriam of the 117th anniversary of the baseball legend's birth. The evening included many festivities, as hordes of fans came out for the celebration/baseball game against the Columbus Catfish.

"I've always been a Shoeless Joe Jackson fan. It's nice to be able to come to the park and honor a hometown guy who was one of the greatest baseball players ever. I'm just happy to have the chance to experience it with my kids", said Jonathan Patterson, who was accompanied by his six-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son.

More than 70 members of Jackson's own family came out for the game and celebration. Surely they were able to see the lasting impact their relative had on the city of Greenville and the sport of baseball as a whole. A plethora of activities, souvenirs and fond memories filled Municipal Stadium that Saturday night, all contributing to the memory of a timeless hero of the baseball diamond.

Among the many enthralling items making the celebratory night were T-shirts, free birthday cake, exhibits from the "Shoeless" Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame (www.blackbetsy.com) and Greenville's City Hall Joe Jackson collection. The most coveted piece of memorabilia from the night was a "Shoeless" Joe Jackson bobblehead doll dressed in a historic Brandon Mill uniform with stocking feet. The collector's item was given out to the first 1,000 fans in attendance and was sponsored by Southeastern Products, the company that sponsored the rest of the commemorative events that evening as well.

"Joe Jackson is perhaps the most famous citizen to come out of Greenville", remarked John Burgess, president of Southeastern Products. "We are proud to sponsor the events [that were] on Saturday and I think it is important to do events like these in order to carry on his legacy".

Comment

Joe`s final home and where he died in his sleep on December 5,1951.Now a museum.117894[/ATTACH]
                        Attached Files

Comment

Joe Jackson page on http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=1743

jacksonjoseph.jpg

jacksonjoseph2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                            It's been established for years that Joe Jackson was "illiterate". Why he completely illiterate or functionally illiterate?
                            According to the SABR biography by David Fleitz, Joe started work at the Brandon Mill textile factory at 6 or 7 years of age and never attended school.

Comment

I particularly like pictures of Jackson with the Athletics.

1909jjathletics1.jpg

Joe is on the viewers right.

phillyjoe.jpg

Joe is fourth from the left in the third row.

ateam.jpg
                              Last edited by bluesky5; 12-28-2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X