No announcement yet.

Joe Jackson Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe getting hitched. Article follows courtesy of the Greenville News via blackbetsy.com

joe-katie-wedding-day-large.jpg

Joe Jackson, The popular center fielder of the local team
    made the greatest home run of his career on Sunday. The
    home run was made on Cupid's diamond and the victory was a
    fair young lady. On Sunday afternoon at 4:30 o'clock Joe was
    married to Miss Kate Wynn, The Rev. W.B. Justis Officiating.
    The happy couple have the best wishes of all fandom.
    Last edited by bluesky5; 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Jackson may have a case for best first and last season in a single career.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

In looking at Joe jackson's stats I noticed that in 1917 his avg. dropped to 301 despite playing in 146 games. Any ideas what on what happene?. I also noted that in a 1949 interview with Sports Magazine in reflecting upon his career one of the achievments Joe noted was that he held the all time throwing record for distance. Anyone know anything about this?

Comment

joe jackson > mike trout

Comment

Originally posted by Corgidog1 View Post
            In looking at Joe jackson's stats I noticed that in 1917 his avg. dropped to 301 despite playing in 146 games. Any ideas what on what happene?. I also noted that in a 1949 interview with Sports Magazine in reflecting upon his career one of the achievments Joe noted was that he held the all time throwing record for distance. Anyone know anything about this?
            yes it says in "Ty and the Babe" that Joe Jackson threw a ball 390 feet

which is longer than a football field!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
              yes it says in "Ty and the Babe" that Joe Jackson threw a ball 390 feet

which is longer than a football field!
              If Jackson was claiming that is an all-time record, it wouldn't have even been a record at that time. Honus Wagner threw for a then record 403 feet in the field day competition in 1898, a record that stood until 1908.

Nevertheless, this would imply that Jackson did have a strong throwing arm. While much of the discussion about Shoeless (rightly) focuses on his hitting, I am curious about his "other tools". What do we know about his baserunning speed/skill and fielding ability?

Comment

Originally posted by CTaka View Post
                If Jackson was claiming that is an all-time record, it wouldn't have even been a record at that time. Honus Wagner threw for a then record 403 feet in the field day competition in 1898, a record that stood until 1908.

Nevertheless, this would imply that Jackson did have a strong throwing arm. While much of the discussion about Shoeless (rightly) focuses on his hitting, I am curious about his "other tools". What do we know about his baserunning speed/skill and fielding ability?
                Glen Gorbous' record throw was about 446 feet, and there is a story about Steve Dalkowski (who knows if you can believe ANYTHING said about him) that he threw a ball from CF fence 440 feet from home and the ball went over the stands behind the plate. I guess there are supposed to be some parks around the country where holes Dalko made in welded wire fending with wild pitches are still preserved, but I can't say that I've seen any real photos.
                But, Jackson was reputed to have a great arm in his day, with good accuracy. He played against adults when he was a youngster and they learned to not try to take the extra base against the kid. Can't remember ever seeing that he had really good speed, though.
                "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Joe's great, great, great nephew was drafted with the 160th pick by the Texas Rangers. He is also named Joe Jackson and is from Greenville, SC just like Joe.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...at-the-citadel

Comment

There is a signed baseball signed by some of the 1919 White Sox players, including Joe Jackson, up for auction. I thought Jackson was illiterate?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...ilia-auctioned
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Yeah, my 3-year-old son can't read more than a few words, but he can spell and write his first and last name(s).
                      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight
                        Quite a few illiterate people can sign their own name. It's really only one pattern, so I would assume they have someone sign their name and then they memorize it.
                        I've also read that Jackson's wife would sometimes sign Joe's name on documents. Any truth to this? The baseball for auction was from 1919 so I was wondering if Jackson had learned to sign his name by then? Didn't he sign a confession with an 'X'?

http://www.psacard.com/autographfact...21/joe-jackson
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X