Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst 2B of the last 50 years

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Worst 2B of the last 50 years

    One of my co-workers was telling me today that Soriano is the worst 2B in the last 50 years, basing his whole argument solely on the number of errors. I do not believe you can pick one stat (like errors) and say that because a player has more errors than anyone else they are the worst, but at the same time I have not watched soriano (or a lot of other 2B) enough to say whether he is in fact the worst in the last 50 years. What is your take, who is the worst defensive 2B in the last 50 years?
    I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker


    "While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

  • #2
    soriano has gotta be right up there. when you have 46 more than the next closest person over a 5 year time frame, there isnt anything mitigating about it.

    Ive seen enough of him to know a) he has a lead glove b) doesnt react well c) not as much range as he should with his speed

    maybe he isnt the worst in the past 50 years, but he certainly is the worst everyday second baseman of this generation.

    Comment


    • #3
      let's see...the worst defensive 2B of the last 50 years by PCA would be Jorge Orta

      But Soriano is in the top ten as far as defensive futility...one of the worst in recent memory.

      Comment


      • #4
        Wasn't Lenny Harris awful?

        Comment


        • #5
          Rodger Hornsby was one of the worst fielding second basemen ever. Had 893 errors with a .965 fielding percentage.
          go sox.

          Pigskin-Fever

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rockin500
            soriano has gotta be right up there. when you have 46 more than the next closest person over a 5 year time frame, there isnt anything mitigating about it.

            Ive seen enough of him to know a) he has a lead glove b) doesnt react well c) not as much range as he should with his speed

            maybe he isnt the worst in the past 50 years, but he certainly is the worst everyday second baseman of this generation.
            I actually think Soriano has pretty good range, just a terrible glove. A lead glove as you said. The 46 more errors than the next guy stat really does cement Soriano as being one of the worst defensive 2Bman in recent times. Of course, his bat and speed make up a lot for that. It makes a good question - is Soriano more valuable at 2B where he is among the premiere offensive 2Bman in the game but arguably the worst defensively, or does he have more value in LF where he does less damage in the field, but his offensive output is less valuable? I smell a poll coming...
            Last edited by DoubleX; 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              With all of the new defensive statistics at our disposal, were Steve Sax and Timmy Tuffle as bad as we remember?
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

              1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

              1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


              The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

              Comment


              • #8
                Before Whitaker came around, the Tigers had a couple of miserable 2d basemen in Gary Sutherland and Tito Fuentes.
                Can't get much worse than these 2!
                1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Going by errors alone is stupid. What second baseman had the most errors in the past 50 years? Why...it's Joe Morgan! Does that mean Lil Joe was the worst second baseman of the past half-century?!?
                  "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                  "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                  "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                  "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by STLCards2
                    With all of the new defensive statistics at our disposal, were Steve Sax and Timmy Tuffle as bad as we remember?
                    Steve Sax was.
                    I'm not sure if Glenn Beckert's bat made up for his glove.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chancellor
                      Going by errors alone is stupid. What second baseman had the most errors in the past 50 years? Why...it's Joe Morgan! Does that mean Lil Joe was the worst second baseman of the past half-century?!?
                      So we're all stupid?
                      Willie Randolph is almost as bad as Joe Morgan then.
                      And Pedro Garcia was SO much better.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Chancellor
                        Going by errors alone is stupid. What second baseman had the most errors in the past 50 years? Why...it's Joe Morgan! Does that mean Lil Joe was the worst second baseman of the past half-century?!?
                        Yes, yes it does.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
                          Rodger Hornsby was one of the worst fielding second basemen ever. Had 893 errors with a .965 fielding percentage.
                          You do relize there were a ton of errors back then, right?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Naliamegod
                            You do relize there were a ton of errors back then, right?
                            ... and Rogers Hornsby didn't play in the last 50 years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Juan Samuel made a TON of errors. He should be up there somewhere.

                              Chuck Knoblauch is the worst I've seen in the postseason.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X