Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul/Strike Rule

have a dilemma about the foul/strike rules implemented

there are many references about a game where clark griffith faced off with john mcgraw - supposedly grif was tired in the ninth inning and mcgraw was at bat continually fouling off pitches in a losing cause - supposedly grif's complaining about this led to the rules where fouls became strikes

problem - these rules were implemented in 1894 and 1901 - john thorn in his book on relief pitching says the incident happened in 1894 however that makes no sense because the rule was changed before the 1894 season - grif was called up late in 1893 so it is very unlikely that the incident happened then

problem - i can find no first hand account of this incident or mention of it when the rules were implemented

problem - grif started four times against st. louis in 1900 - three losses and a tie - plus no mention of anything unusual in game accounts - or any kicking by grif subsequently

problem - grif and mcgraw were both known to embellish - mcgraw practically claimed that he created the modern game of baseball himself and new york reporters printed it so frequently that many still believe it - grif at times claimed to invent the screwball (even though it was thrown a decade before him), the spitball and scuffball

can anyone pinpoint the incident or do you think it was a little embellishment from an old ballplayer?

Originally posted by bkmckenna
    have a dilemma about the foul/strike rules implemented

can anyone pinpoint the incident or do you think it was a little embellishment from an old ballplayer?
    1894 and 1901? Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying (I at work and went over that quickly), but I've read in several bios- most recently that of Young, Dahlen, and Wagner, that the foul strike rule was implemented in 01' in the senior circuit and 1903 in the league of "Johnson's bushers" (McGraw's exact words).

In fact, Browning went into great detail researching players', managers, and owners perspectives on the rule change in the AL, in particular the staunch opposition that Young himself espoused. Young certainly never was a proponent of rule changes, whether they favored the hitter or the pitcher.

Comment

in 1894 they issued the rule that foul bunts were classified as strikes but you're right the swinging fouls were not counted until 1901 and '03 - not sure if the a.l. counted foul bunts as strikes before 1903 - caught foul tips were strikes in 1895

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rulechng.shtml
      Last edited by Brian McKenna; 03-22-2006, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X