Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zack Wheat Thread

It's time for Zack Wheat.

Zack Wheat was a fan darling, who hit among his league's leaders, hit line drives to all fields, had excellent BA, and fielded his LF position well with a fine OF arm.

Zack adjusted to the live ball especially well. He had a bump in his career numbers when it was expected he should be gracefully declining. From 1923-25, at age 35-37, he had some of his best seasons. If that happened in today's climate, it would raise a lot of suspicious eyebrows, and cynical talk.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-25-2011, 01:19 PM.

-------------------------------------------1920------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1920

-----------------------------1916--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1916

----------------------------------------1914------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1916-17

-----------Zack Wheat, Brooklyn LF, 1911----------------------Zack Wheat, 1918

------------------------------1923-27

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-15-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I was wondering what modern -day player Wheat reminds you of. For some reason, Carl Yaz comes to mind. Any other/better suggestions?

Zack Wheat, Dodgers' LF---BB Ref

Zack Wheat, Dodgers' LF, 1919,---BB-Reference

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTaka View Post
        I was wondering what modern -day player Wheat reminds you of. For some reason, Carl Yaz comes to mind. Any other/better suggestions?
        Billy Williams comes to my mind. Hard hitting left-fielder, who hit hard line drives to all fields.
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 11-08-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

a friend of mine named his first son zack after the beloved and highly respected brooklyn dodger.
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X