1980s Star Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    Agreed! I saw one article about it a while back where the author said that hit was the stereotypical Carew slap into shallow LF, so it was a fitting example of his career to have a hit like that for number 3000. Watching it again the time I posted it, I don't think I ever noticed how he seemed to almost fall over after making contact.
    His helmet almost falling off and Carew's silly-looking attempt to keep it from falling were the first things the grab my attention when I saw this clip back in the 80s. It's still all I can concentrate on!

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
      His helmet almost falling off and Carew's silly-looking attempt to keep it from falling were the first things the grab my attention when I saw this clip back in the 80s. It's still all I can concentrate on!
      Yeah, I did remember him fumbling with the helmet, I forgot about about the awkward bending over. That man had an incredible ability to reach out and make contact with all kinds of pitches.
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
        I've always thought this was the most awkward 3000th hit.
        Carew's batting stances always seemed awkward, almost as if he chose the batting stances that limited his power to the greatest degree. It's worked for winning batting titles and getting lots of singles but Ted Williams said Carew could have hit for more power without sacrificing batting average very much. Ted said the same thing about Tony Gwynn.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

And with at least Tony it looks to have been true. Williams worked with Gwynn before the 1997 season and afterwards had one of his best seasons if not the best season with the bat of his career and had increased pop the next 3 years of his career. Tony largely credited Williams for this.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X