Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    And with at least Tony it looks to have been true. Williams worked with Gwynn before the 1997 season and afterwards had one of his best seasons if not the best season with the bat of his career and had increased pop the next 3 years of his career. Tony largely credited Williams for this.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by dgarza View Post
    I've always thought this was the most awkward 3000th hit.
    Carew's batting stances always seemed awkward, almost as if he chose the batting stances that limited his power to the greatest degree. It's worked for winning batting titles and getting lots of singles but Ted Williams said Carew could have hit for more power without sacrificing batting average very much. Ted said the same thing about Tony Gwynn.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    His helmet almost falling off and Carew's silly-looking attempt to keep it from falling were the first things the grab my attention when I saw this clip back in the 80s. It's still all I can concentrate on!
    Yeah, I did remember him fumbling with the helmet, I forgot about about the awkward bending over. That man had an incredible ability to reach out and make contact with all kinds of pitches.

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    Agreed! I saw one article about it a while back where the author said that hit was the stereotypical Carew slap into shallow LF, so it was a fitting example of his career to have a hit like that for number 3000. Watching it again the time I posted it, I don't think I ever noticed how he seemed to almost fall over after making contact.
    His helmet almost falling off and Carew's silly-looking attempt to keep it from falling were the first things the grab my attention when I saw this clip back in the 80s. It's still all I can concentrate on!

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Agreed! I saw one article about it a while back where the author said that hit was the stereotypical Carew slap into shallow LF, so it was a fitting example of his career to have a hit like that for number 3000. Watching it again the time I posted it, I don't think I ever noticed how he seemed to almost fall over after making contact.

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    Rod Carew getting hit number 3000 vs his old team, the Twins:

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
    Did someone say breaking records that mean something? In that era?

[ATTACH]144753[/ATTACH]
    Barely halfway to the MLB mark. How much did the record mean for Billy Williams?

Leave a comment:

• Second Base Coach
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankillaz View Post
    Is it me, or back then breaking records or getting to some benchmarks really meant something?
    Did someone say breaking records that mean something? In that era?

Garv SI.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    1988 World Series Game 1, 9th Inning. . .

Who doesn't remember this one? Wow. Here is the 9th inning:

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    I can't find a video of the final out of Don Sutton's 300th career win, but here is his Hall of Fame bio. Crazy. The Hall didn't even show a clip of him winning his 300th game. Poor Don.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Gaylord Perry Wins Number 300

Here's the great spitballer winning his 300th career game in 1982 (another great year for me anyway):

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Here's Phil Niekro picking up win number 300 in 1985, which is one helluva baseball year:

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Steve Carlton Wins Game Number 300

Here's Lefty striking out 12 of my Redbirds en route to his career win number 300:

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    First man to 5000 strikeouts, and he gets Rickey Henderson:

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Nolan Ryan -- Strikeout King

Here's Ryan's Express passing the Big Train:

First man to 4000 strikeouts:

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget