The 10 Best World Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 10 Best World Series?

Which World Series do you think were the 10 best?

In no particular order...

Every one of those series went the distance except 1905, which of course featured the single most impressive feat in the history of baseball. I was hesitant to put in the 1997 series, just because there were only about 8 viewers, worldwide, but it was a heck of a series.

Note that not one of those was won by my Yanks, and we in fact got trounced in three of them.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Last edited by yest; 03-30-2006, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I remember about 10 years back or so SI ran an article in which they asked this very same thing. Don't really recall what they picked the only thing I really remember is a blurb of theirs. It went something like this:

Most series are not memorable, there are memorable moments and memorable games but most series are not memorable as a whole. We remember a home run or a game 7 but a game 3 in a 7 game series? Very unlikely. Would 1991 be a great series if the Braves won in 6? Does anyone really remember anything else from the 1988 World Series? How many games in the 2001 WS can be truly called great? Was there any games in that series that were great or were there great moments in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
          How many games in the 2001 WS can be truly called great? Was there any games in that series that were great or were there great moments in the game?
          One game was great, and three were astounding. Game 3, which the Yanks won 2-1, was enthralling. People remember the HR's from games 4 and 5, but don't also forget that they were tensely fought pitcher's duels the whole way through, and game 5 lasted 12 innings and was capped with a play at the plate.

And game 7 was supposed to be a 2-1 Yankee victory on a home run by Soriano off a ball that may have actually bounced before he hit it.
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

1. 1975
            2. 1960
            3. 1924
            4. 2001
            5. 1991
            6. 1955
            7. 1912
            8. 1993
            9. 1986
            10. 1905
            "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
              One game was great, and three were astounding. Game 3, which the Yanks won 2-1, was enthralling.
              Three were astoundingly great, I'd say. Game 3 was an excellent game, and game 6 was historically important, if just for the 1) level of trouncing and 2) prelude of Randy Johnson's game 7 heroics.
              Now it is done. The story ends, and there is no way to tell it. The art of fiction is dead. Reality has strangled invention. Only the utterly impossible, the inexpressibly fantastic can ever be plausible again.

-Red Smith, New York Herald Tribune, October 4th, 1951

Comment

Can I vote for the 1986 NLCS?...either one?

1986 may be one of the best postseasons in its entirety.
                THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

No order
                  "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

1.) 1991
                    2.) 2001
                    3.) 1960
                    4.) 1986
                    5.) 1964
                    6.) 1997
                    7.) 1987
                    8.) 1946
                    9.) 1993
                    10.)1955

Comment

no order...

edit: replaced 1997 with 1926. If I could punch in a date on the delorean time capsule dashboard, that'd be a must see series.
                      Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 03-30-2006, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                        no order...

1989? That was about as godawful a World Series as you could script. It was a total beat down, only lasted 4 games, there were no memorable performances, it was only the 2nd (and least memorable) of 3 straight WS appearances by the A's, and was interrupted by an earthquake. I think it was ESPN that ranked the top 100 WS through 2003; 1994 ranked #100, 1904 ranked #99, and 1989 ranked #98.
                        "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

I see 1986 alot. To me other than Game 6 it was pretty boring. I think Game 1 was 1-0 but every other game was pretty much easy wins/blowouts.

Granted Game 6 was unbelievably suspenseful but still, as a whole I don't see it as Top 10.

Comment

While 1986 didn't have a great game every time it had a few games that were big. Game 7 gets overlooked but going into the bottom of the 6th the Red Sox had a 3-0 lead and Hurst had a 1-hitter. He ran out of gas and couldn't stop anybody from getting dinky hits to give up the lead. The next inning the scared rabbit comes in gives up two quick runs and a future runner of his will score to send the Red Sox down 6-3. All looks lost but the Red Sox hitters don't give up they get two quick runs in the next inning to bring it back to 6-5. Once again the Red Sox pitching lets them down and the Red Sox lose. Most people when they think of 1986 think of game 7 as an afterthought, as if the Red Sox were fated to lose or had already given up. They had not, they were 12 outs away from a WS victory and the game was on the line all the way up until about the 9th inning.

Comment

Very few mentions of 1968, which was a vastly underrated Series.

It started out with one of the most-hyped pitching matchups in Series history: McLain vs. Gibson. It also featured probably the most controversial managerial move in Series history, Mayo Smith's decision to use centerfielder Mickey Stanley at shortstop.

In addition, that series had one of the most controversial defensive plays in Series history: Willie Horton throwing out Lou Brock at the plate in Game Five.

And, to top it off, you had the Tigers rallying from a 3-1 deficit to beat Bob Gibson in Game Seven. And Mickey Lolich was one of a handful of pitchers to win 3 games in a series.

1968 wasn't the greatest World Series ever, but it's one of them.
                              "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X