3. 1910 A's
    4. 1931 Cardinals
    5. 1998 Yankees
    6. 1939 Yankees
    7. 1961 Yankees
    8. 1906 Cubs
    9. 1955 Dodgers
    10. 1967 Cardinals
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

I don't know how many of you may have this book, but Rob Neyer and Eddie Epstein have a great book on this subject called "Baseball's Dynasties" where they rate the great dynasties in history. They based it on standard deviation scores. That way, they could normalize the data to make sure the early teams don't get too much credit. I agree with most of their findings (in particular that the 1939 Yankees were better than the 1927 Yankees). However, I am partial to some teams:

1) 1929 Athletics
      2) 1936 Yankees (I like to include Gehrig)
      3) 1927 Yankees
      4) 1998 Yankees
      5) 1975 Orioles
      6) 1953 Dodgers (or 1955)
      7) 1908 Cubs
      8) 1969 Orioles
      9) 1984 Tigers
      10) 2001 Mariners (I have to include them, but they go on the bottom)
      I am the author of "Checks and Imbalances" and "The State of Baseball Management."

Comment

Here's my Top 10;

1927 Yankees
        1975 Reds
        1961 Yankees
        1998 Yankees
        1972-74 A's
        1969-71 Orioles
        1929-31 A's
        1936-39 Yankees
        1988-90 A's
        1984 Tigers

Comment

--HWR, please disregard my early short ballot. It was just off the cuff. I didn't realize we were actually into the project.
          1) 75 Reds
          2) 27 Yankees
          3) 71 Orioles
          4) 98 Yankees
          5) 31 A's
          6) 53 Dodgers
          7) 39 Yankees
          8) 06 Cubs
          9) 93 Braves
          10) 61 Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14
            I'm always surprised that on lists like this the Swingin' A's of the 70's get the short shrift. 3 straight WS titles (including on one over the Reds) 5 straight divisions, yet the Reds and Yanks get all the love.

My contention is that the A's were far more of a team than the other's in the 70's. The played hard together on the field, fought each other off it, yet kept on winning despite having one of the most contentious owners in the history of baseball. Why, because when they got on the field their one focus was to win and do what ever it took to win. That's how a guy like Gene Tenace comes out of nowhere to hit 4 HR's in the WS in 1972. Or get's three straight pinch hits to win a WS game. Total team baseball on the field.

The team doesn't look great on paper, three HOFer's, no one else even close, and not even a lot of stars. Yet they dominated the game over that time period.

So how about a little respect for Reggie, Catfish, Rollie, Vida, Geno, Kenny, Joe and Cap'n Sal??

KH14
            Great post on those A's teams KHenry.

I've always respected those colorful A's teams.You can't ignore the fact that they are the only franchise not named the NY Yankees to win 3 straight WS titles.

Comment

this is a great idea

1. 1998 Yankees (tied with 27 yanks. perfect on all levels. get a "played during my time" bonus)
              2. 1927 Yankees (most dominant team ever)
              3. 1975 Reds (2nd best lineup ever)
              4. 1961 Yankees (very good year for maris, mantle, and howard. good pitching team)
              5. 1906 Cubs (most dominant team before 27 yanks)
              6. 1909 Pirates (incredible year for them)
              7. 1942 Cardinals (great season. great rookie year for stan musial bonus)
              8. 1929 A's (good years for foxx and cochrane)
              9. 2001 Mariners (can't overlook 116 wins in offense dominated era)
              10. 1907 Cubs (best orvall and brown year. great season as well)
              Last edited by Yankee Legend; 03-28-2006, 08:26 PM.
              Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

1.'39 Yanks
                2.1970 Orioles
                3.1910 Athletics
                4.1998 Braves
                5.1927 Yankees
                6.1972 A's
                7.1931 Athletics
                8.1906 Cubs
                9.1975 Reds
                10.1931 Cardinals
                AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                AL Pennant: 1982
                NL Central Champions: 2011
                NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
                  I like the A's too, KHenry (might want to look closer at the team, they might have one more deserving HOF player, at least IMO). The only problem with this is that it's hard to pick out one year ('72 or '73 or '74) when they were the most dominant. For a period of years, I would probably pick them as the greatest team of all time. I'm not so clear whether this is meant to be just one year of if it is meant to be best "dynasty". I like to combine both, really, so this is my list:

1.1972-74 Oakland Athletics (could pick any year)
                  2.1975-1976 Cincinnati Reds
                  3.1936-1939 New York Yankees
                  4.1927 New York Yankees
                  5.1986 New York Mets
                  6.1998 New York Yankees
                  7.1906-1908 Chicago Cubs
                  8.1970 Baltimore Orioles
                  9.1953 New York Yankees
                  10.1984 Detroit Tigers
                  Chris,

Why did you pick the '84 Tigers? They were kind of a one year wonder.
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Dudecar00
                    1.'39 Yanks
                    2.1970 Orioles
                    3.1910 Athletics
                    4.1998 Braves
                    5.1927 Yankees
                    6.1972 A's
                    7.1931 Athletics
                    8.1906 Cubs
                    9.1975 Reds
                    10.1931 Cardinals
                    Why the '98 Braves but not the '98 Yankees?
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                      Chris,

Sorry, I know you didn't ask me the question directly and I wasn't the one who picked the '84 Tigers.

They might have been one year wonders, but what a year...Started the season 35-5 (if I recall) and coasted to a World Series. It doesn't really matter what hey did in '85 because they were still a great team in '84 (which is what this poll is asking).
                      RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                        Chris,

The Tigers were a one year wonder, but for that one year they very well may have been the best team the game has ever seen. My criteria was basically set over a period of years, with the highest weight given to the best year. I think they may have been the best team ever for one year, so it's hard to leave them off the top 10.

Comment

--Personally I see best team ever and team with the best season ever as two diffferent things. If they were really the best they would have been able to at least come close to that success level before and/or after 1984. They did make my first, casual ballot because they are one of my favorite teams ever (as is another fabulous one year wonder, the 2001 Mariners), They probably won't make my ballot again at any time in the top 20 though, due to their inability to repeat that year.
                          --Their lack of Hall of Famers is another shortcoming, although I think Trammell and probably Whitaker deserve to make it. I wouldn't even mind seeing Jack Morris make it. He wasn't as dominating as you'd like to see a Hall of Famer, but he was the biggest winner and best big ga,me pitcher of his generation. The lack of Hall of Fame talent is a problem for the 2001 Mariners too. Lots of career years, but only Ichiro has a legit shot at the Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by barzilla
                            I agree with most of their findings (in particular that the 1939 Yankees were better than the 1927 Yankees). However, I am partial to some teams:

1) 1929 Athletics
                            2) 1936 Yankees (I like to include Gehrig)
                            3) 1927 Yankees
                            4) 1998 Yankees
                            5) 1975 Orioles
                            6) 1953 Dodgers (or 1955)
                            7) 1908 Cubs
                            8) 1969 Orioles
                            9) 1984 Tigers
                            10) 2001 Mariners (I have to include them, but they go on the bottom)
                            Coulda fooled me
                            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
                              --HWR, please disregard my early short ballot. It was just off the cuff. I didn't realize we were actually into the project.
                              3) 71 Orioles
                              9) 93 Braves
                              10) 61 Yankees
                              3) Thank you (although there may be a better O's team
                              9) why the 93 Braves?
                              10) Overrated
                              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

My Greatest Teams

1. 1929-31 Philadelphia Athletics
                                2. 1917-19 Chicago White Sox
                                3. 1910-14 Phiadelphia Athletics
                                4. 1926-28 New York Yankees
                                5. 1921-24 New York Giants
                                6. 1894-96 Baltimore Orioles
                                7. 1955-58 New York Yankees
                                8. 1949-56 Brooklyn Dodgers
                                9. 1929-31 Homestead Grays
                                10. 1932-34 Pittsburgh Crawfords
                                11. 1936-43 New York Yankees
                                12. 1997-2002 New York Yankees
                                13. 1906-10 Chicago Cubs
                                14. 1970-76 Cincinnati Reds
                                15. 1988-92 Oakland Athletics
                                16. 1972-74 Oakland Athletics
                                17. 1976-81 New York Yankees
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-30-2006, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X