Ortiz No.1 DH of All-Time ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ortiz No.1 DH of All-Time ???

Could David Ortiz be considered the No.1 DH of All-Time ???

Wrong forum?

And no

Comment

As of right now no (he is best in the league). But if he has some more good years like 04 and 05 he could most deffientley be number one. But right now my top 3 looks like this
      1. Frank Thomas
      2. Edgar Martinez
      3. Paul Moliter

just needs some more good years
      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Ortiz will not last long enough to surplant Thomas nor Martinez. He is the new Mo Vaghn and will eat himself out of the league by age 35.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

He's not the best, but he's probably around the best DH right now...
          Red Sox...

Red Sox Nation- Wily mo pena

:gt

Comment

errrr.... NO.

Comment

Edgar Martinez, Paul Molitor, Don Baylor are all ahead of him without really thinking too hard about others.
              Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

Martinez, Thomas, Molitor and McRae are way ahead of him
                Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                  Ortiz will not last long enough to surplant Thomas nor Martinez. He is the new Mo Vaghn and will eat himself out of the league by age 35.
                  Agreed. I posted something very similar to this in the Red Sox forum about a week ago. Ortiz is tremendous right now, but like Mo Vaughn and Cecil Fielder, the long-term prognosis is not good for Ortiz. It's tough to have a long career with that kind of frame. The body just breaks down from the weight and strain. Though Ortiz is unquestionably the best DH right now.

Comment

Why is being a DH a distinction? Who cares?

I understand why you can compare the best hitting 2B of all time. 2B is a designation that implies a specific skill set outside of the batter's box. But a DH has no other skill set that you can use to justify not comparing him to ALL other hitters.

Being the best DH of all time is a meaningless distinction. It's like being the best #2 in a rotation pitcher. There's nothing specific to differentiate him from anybody else, so why should he get his own "category?"

Somebody else here, I forgot who, explained this notion very well. It basically went like this:

Excepting pitchers, all players start out as hitters. They are then divided up and identified based upon the defensive position they play for purposes of comparison, because a 1B is a hitter with other skill set A, and a 2B is a hitter with other skill set B, etc. But a DH doesn't have that defensive role to further define him, so he must compete against all HITTERS, because that's as specific as his definition gets.
                    THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

That was me.
                      "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
                        That was me.
                        I actually thought it was you but wasn't sure. I was too lazy to look it up and re-post it, so I just decided to paraphrase.

I agree completely. We see a lot of these types of threads here and I express this position every time. You did the best job of explaining it I've seen though.
                        THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                          I actually thought it was you but wasn't sure. I was too lazy to look it up and re-post it, so I just decided to paraphrase.

I agree completely. We see a lot of these types of threads here and I express this position every time. You did the best job of explaining it I've seen though.
                          Thanks, appreciated.
                          "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

1. It is a distinction.

2. The designated hitter is here to stay - this is its 34th season, with no end in sight - get over it.

3. David Ortiz as the greatest DH in history is laughable at this point.

4. And highly improbable at some future point.

5. This thread is being moved to the appropriate forum.
                            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

--I have to disagree that it is a distinction - or at least not one worthy of special recognition. As stated above thre is nothing special required to be a DH. You are simply a batter who doesn't play the field and ANY player could fill that role.
                              --There have been 8th place hitters far longer than there have been DHs. Is being the best 8th place hitter a distinction worthy of spearate discussion in regards to the Hall? Of course not, because the 8th place hitter is just a fielder who is the worst hitter in the lineup. Just as the DH is a batter who is not just the worst fielder in the lineup, but is not a fielder at all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X