Pythag wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pythag wins

I'm doing a little quick research on Pythag wins.......
    Anyone have a list of the top 5-10 over achievers and under achievers?

These might not be the top 10 but
    Underachiever:
    84 Pirates 12 g
    32 Giants 10 g
    70 Cubs 10 g
    06 Indians 9 g
    55 Reds 9 g
    66 Yanks 9 g
    09 A's 8 g
    21 Tigers 8 g
    43 Tigers 8 g
    90 Mets 7 g
    Overachiever:
    66 Giants 7 g
    64 Cards 5 g
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Its a start...thanks!

Comment

Yes we have done a thread in which we looked at over and underachievers.

Comment

The 1997 Giants were outscored by nine runs. Their expected win total was 80 wins and they won 90 games and the NL West title. A truly fluky team.
          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-03-2006, 07:14 AM.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Here is an excel file in which all the NL and AL teams from 1901 to 2005 look using ^2.0 and ^1.83. Its in two parts because of file size limititations. Simply uninstall them and copy and past them together.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
              Here is an excel file in which all the NL and AL teams from 1901 to 2005 look using ^2.0 and ^1.83. Its in two parts because of file size limititations. Simply uninstall them and copy and past them together.
              Killer! Much thanks Ubi!

Comment

There have been 85 teams that have had a winning record and been outscored.

highest winning % is the 1981 Orioles with a .562 winning %.

Two NY mets teams exceed the pyth the most which also means that they were greatly outscored. The 1984 and 1972
                Ny Mets won 23 more games then expected and one of the teams won 90 games. The 1905 Tigers exceeded the most their projection by being outscored by a whopping 90 runs and still finishing 5 games over .500

Comment

The 1984 and 1972
                  Ny Mets won 23 more games then expected
                  More like 11-12 wins
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

So ahh whats 11+12?

Comment

So ahh whats 11+12?
                      two SEPARATE Pythag overachievements

Comment

How many times have teams that made the playoffs had worse Pythagorean records than teams that finished behind them in the standings?

Comment

A bunch I'm sure. The more interesting question to me is how many have had any success once they made it in......

Comment

Originally posted by baseballPAP
                            I'm doing a little quick research on Pythag wins.......
                            Anyone have a list of the top 5-10 over achievers and under achievers?
                            I've got a question, how do you calculate it? I know it's got something to do with runs and runs against and the pythagereon therom (or a version of it), but don't anything else.
                            Thanks.
                            Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
                            I hope that's all.

Comment

This might answer posts 12 & 13:
                              1885 Chicago White Stockings
                              1906 ChiSox
                              1908 Cubs
                              1915 and 1916 BoSox
                              1928 Yanks
                              1934 Cards
                              1945 Tigers
                              1946 Cards
                              1949 Yanks
                              1959 Dodgers
                              1964 Cards
                              1965 Dodgers
                              up through the split into divisions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X