Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Pitchers of Yesteryear Throw With "Much Less" Velocity Than They Do Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

Lets be realistic here, just his opinion, we will never know.
    True. But I loved that quote from one of the all time greats.
    27 World Championships
    22 retired numbers
    Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
    Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

True. But I loved that quote from one of the all time greats.
      I hear ya, I like it to, a legend gives us his take.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

I hear ya, I like it to, a legend gives us his take.
        It just seems like those old timers were usually a lot more humble when discussing who was the 'best'. They wouldn't mention themselves on all time teams, and usually say another guy was better than them. It feels odd to hear Cy Young talk like that.

Comment

• Funny thing is, all we keep hearing about is speed, 100 MPH or just under that speed. Has anyone noticed, I bring this one up often but little feedback........ the change up is back, big time. Some of the young pitchers finally taking the advice of some former pitchers, you can get hitter out, swing and miss or make poor contact with a much slower pitch. In fact with the high speed pitchers are throwing today makes the change up even more effective, the batter has little time to decide. Watching this game many years, never saw so many young pitchers featuring the change up, with some that is their specialty pitch. One of the greatest Warren Spahn in a few words said it all, hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing.

Comment

• I'd have to think that pitchers do throw faster today. Back from 1920s to 1945 you had a lot of pitchers that stood 5'10 or 5'11 and weighed 160 to 175 pounds. They weren't built along the same lines as today's behemoths. Every MLB staff has a t least one guy who exceeds 6'6" several guys that are at lewast 6'4" and you have guys that weigh anywhere between 220 lbs. and 300 lbs. It stands to reason that these big guys can throw harder and today's pitchers' strikeout totals reflect it over the much more modest strikeout totals that were typical of baseball's yesteryear. Many more pitchers back then were "pitch-to-contact" types whereas today's hurlers have more overpowering stuff so they rack up more strikeouts..

Comment

• Who has seen the documentary "Fastball" on Netflix? It was very interesting and insightful I thought. Lots of great historical information about the fastest pitchers in baseball history.
              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• I don't think the fact that pitching motion itself has so massively changed has been noted enough. Back in the day, many (most?) pitchers had much larger leg kick deliveries. How many pitchers today have the big leg kick? Do we have any? The big leg kick emphasized leg usage.

Have any biometric studies been done to determine how the lack of leg kicks impact velocities? I personally think the lack of strong leg kicks puts stress on arms and shoulders which may have been alleviated in older generations.
                "I, Toledo Inquisition, firmly believe that the New York Mets will win the 2021 World Series."
                Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• This thread was started in the pre-Google Era....and is still exigent (seems impossible!!!) I mention this primarily to emphasize the drastic improvements in the exactitude of measurement since the genesis of this discussion.

We now know, for example, that MLB fastballs were thrown about 3 mph faster in 2017 than they were in 2002. Same goes for all other pitches, also.

So...to respond to hitchedtoaspark's original query: if that kind of quantum leap in average league velocity can occur in 15 years...how likely is it that 2017 pitchers throw with 10+ mph average velocity more than the median pitchers of 1950....or 1915?

Comment

• From Wired magazine.

WHY IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE FOR FASTBALLS TO GET ANY FASTER
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• One of our more interesting old threads. Would love to hear people's thoughts!

Frank Thomas on how much harder pitchers throw versus his prime:

Comment

• Anybody have rough guesses as to average (and max) velocity by era?

And how much pitching velocity has changed over time?

Comment

• Bump this up. (Inspired by the outstanding discussion going on right now in the Jacob DeGrom Thread!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post
                            Bump this up. (Inspired by the outstanding discussion going on right now in the Jacob DeGrom Thread!)
                            How could we ever know.
                            Seems to me since players are bigger and stronger, on average harder faster today.
                            With that said in recent years some younger pitchers taking advice from some former pitchers, "pull the string". You can also get the hitter out with an 80 MPH pitch.

The fact that pitchers today throw so fast makes the change up more effective, batter has less time to decide.
                            Warren Spahn got it right to the point. "Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing".

Comment

• Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                              It was easier to go 8-9 innings every 3-4 days when you were only throwing 90mph a few times per game.
                              Why would you assume this to be true?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post

His line is now

Vs Righties: .305/..422/.534 in over 8,200 PA
                                Vs Lefites: .277/.356/.493 in almost 2,000 PA

About 830 of unknown hand.

we now have Ott’s almost complete data.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...