Single Most Devastating Death In Baseball History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Most Devastating Death In Baseball History

-Bart Giamatti: Dies eight days after banishing Pete Rose even though Giamatti had only been the commissioner for 154 days. Fay Vincent takes over for Giamatti yet the owners (one of them being Bud Selig) decided to kick him out of office about three and a half years later. Soon after Selig takes over as "acting commissioner", we get the worse work stoppage in sports history as the World Series gets canceled for the first time in 90 years.

-Dick Howser: Dies of a brain tumor about a year and a half after managing the Kansas City Royals to their first ever World Championship.

-Darryl Kile: Dies of a heart attack just days after Jack Buck dies. In retrospect, the death of Jack Buck, who at 77 years of age had been ill with lung cancer, diabetes, and Parkinson's for some time, wasn't really much of a shock. But Darryl Kile's death came right out of the blue as Jack Buck's son Joe was forced to announce the news on live television.

-Thurman Munson: The first Yankee captain since Lou Gehrig dies while arguably still in his prime just like Gehrig.

-Donnie Moore: Moore kills himself (right in front of his own children no less) three years after giving up the home run to Dave Henderson in the 1986 American League Championship Series (and four years after playing in the All-Star Game).

-Lyman Bostock: Gets murdered (by some accounts, by accident) while on the brink of reaching his full potential.

-Mickey Mantle: Spent his remaining days lecturing young people to not live like him (after Mantle spent years killing himself with alcohol).

-Ray Chapman: Ray Chapman became the only modern major leaguer to have died as a direct result of being hit by a pitch.

-Tony Conigliaro: Conigliaro never really fully recovered after getting hit in the eye and wound up suffering a heart attack at the age of 37. Conigliaro would ultimately die at the age of 45.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-11-2006, 11:46 AM.

Ed Delahanty

Roberto Clemente

Lou Gehrig

Comment

We need more description of what you are wanting.

Most stunning death(s)-Roberto Clemente or Thurman Munson
      Personal death that hit hardest-Mickey Mantle
      Cardinal death that hit hardest-Jack Buck

please elaborate on what you are looking for.
      Waner, Mantle, Bench, Nightal?

Comment

Originally posted by nightal
        We need more description of what you are wanting.

Most stunning death(s)-Roberto Clemente or Thurman Munson
        Personal death that hit hardest-Mickey Mantle
        Cardinal death that hit hardest-Jack Buck

please elaborate on what you are looking for.
        you stole my thunder, nightal.
        the sudden deaths of clemente and munson were truly devastating. i remember as yesterday the news.

the most aching, after his quiet battle, lou gehrig. still inspirational to many who were not even alive at the time of his death, much less those who did not even get to see him play.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ken Hubbs?
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Harry Agganis? Gil Hodges?
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Dan Quisenberry or Catfish Hunter? Steve Olin (and the other guy, dang) followed quickly by Cliff Young)? Bo Diaz? Hary Caray?
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                Dan Quisenberry or Catfish Hunter? Steve Olin (and the other guy, dang) followed quickly by Cliff Young)? Bo Diaz? Hary Caray?
                Tim Crews.

Danny Thompson.

Andujar Cedeno.

Ross Youngs

Addie Joss.

Francisco Barrios.

Lynn McGlothen, who died in a fire while trying to save family members.

Steve Bechler.

Doug Million.

John McSherry, which thousands of shocked Reds fans witnessed.
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                  Andujar Cedeno.
                  Doug Million.
                  I kinda wondered what happened to these guys. Plus, Josh Gibson, and the catcher from awhile back that killed his family then committed suicide

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    I kinda wondered what happened to these guys. Plus, Josh Gibson, and the catcher from awhile back that killed his family then committed suicide
                    Cedeno was killed in a car accident in his native country, I believe. And Million died of an asthma attack.

Bill Burgess can tell you all about Marty Bergen, RMB. Once he found out why his career was so short, he went about researching in a way that would have made him a natural for Langley, Virginia.

To me, Moore's death was incredibly shocking, just because of the complete downward spiral his life took after giving up Dave Henderson's home run. Some vile filth passing as a former member actually thought this was funny.
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

In my mind the sudden death of Bart Giamatti had the greatest impact on baseball (especially on Pete Rose and the Hall of Fame).

The most stunning death was that of Roberto Clemente, on his mercy mission to Puerto Rico.

The most tragic death was probably Ray Chapman, whose death was the direct result of action in a game.
                      Luke

Comment

Ed Delahanty... probably the greatest player ever to die while active, and he was relatively in his prime, too... his numbers at the time of his death would have ranked in the top 5 in BA, OBP, and OPS that year. And the year before, he led in OBP, SLG, OPS, 2B, and was in the top 5 in H, BA, HR, TB, R, and RBI.
                        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

To me, there's a couple that stick out...

Munson---the guy was the heart and soul of the Yankees, beloved then and now.

Giamatti--Baseball was waiting for someone like him to come along for years, who knows what the face of the game might be had he lived.

Clemente--selflessly gave his life for others, a true hero gone too soon

Chapman--nobody should die playing the game they love

KH14
                          “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                            Ed Delahanty... probably the greatest player ever to die while active, and he was relatively in his prime, too... his numbers at the time of his death would have ranked in the top 5 in BA, OBP, and OPS that year. And the year before, he led in OBP, SLG, OPS, 2B, and was in the top 5 in H, BA, HR, TB, R, and RBI.

Is the story still that he fell off a bridge? I've got versions of his death from falling from a train track to drunk and falling off a bridge.Any different data or info???
                            Waner, Mantle, Bench, Nightal?

Comment

The death that had the greatest impact on the game IMO would be Chapman. That death directly resulted in several changes to the game... without the knowledge that a pitch can kill, we probably wouldn't have the safety equipment we do today... also, Chapman's death was one of the biggest reasons why the spitball was banned.

Munson and Clemente's deaths, while stunning, merely left the game one less superstar.

I also agree with KHenry; Giamatti's death has a huge theoretical impact on the game as we know it.
                              Last edited by J W; 11-29-2004, 04:32 PM.
                              http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X