*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Don't know where else to look Randy, thanks, but the search goes on.
    Can't get past here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101388/

http://www.tvtango.com/movie/babe_ruth
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

What really burns me, I recorded that movie on VHS tape, moved and lost it.
      I "found" it! It's available on DIRECTV!

https://www.directv.com/movies/Babe-...NYWk5qaG9udz09
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post

FML - I have DISH - nice find ADAM !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
          FML - I have DISH - nice find ADAM !!
          Does that mean you can record it?!
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post

Great HWR, I don't have the dish but some friends that do, I also wonder, could they record it, they have DVD burners.

Comment

Great HWR, I don't have the dish but some friends that do, I also wonder, could they record it, they have DVD burners.
              That should be easy to do. But I suspect Randy is already 20 minutes into recording the film.

I found this as well, cool photo.

http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Lang-B.../dp/B00BVPYQJY
              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Michael Schell's book on stats is the best effort to try and compare players from different eras. He looks at standard deviations for that era, park factors, including which parks favored righties and lefties, etc.

Here's Schell's list of the best home run seasons. These are adjusted in the modern era and are the number of HRs per 500 at-bats for a season:

1. Bonds 2001 73.5
                2. Ruth 1920 63.7
                3. Ruth 1919 61.8
                4. McGwire 1998 61.6
                5. Bonds 2002 61.4
                6. Bonds 2003 60.3
                7. Ruth 1927 57.7
                8. Ruth 1959 56.0
                9. Freeman 1899 54.0
                10. Ruth 1926 53.7

Ruth and Bonds' on steroids dominate this list. Sosa smashed over 60 HRs 3 times, yet didn't make this list. Ruth's 1919 season tells a huge story. It's really showing the effect of the Dead Ball era and Fenway for lefties back then. That was Ruth's first full season in which he wasn't too distracted from pitching(still managed 9-5 record).

Comment

• Originally posted by csh19792001

I think the difference is....Ruth didn't set out planning to tell the world "my way of approaching hitting is going to be found to be the most productive in the future".
                  Chris, is the last quote perhaps a sign that Ruth was well ahead of his time, in understanding the value?

-------------------------------------------

“The way they used to play for me,” he said. “I could have popped the ball into left field and walked to first base – or even second, if I got it close enough to the foul line. I could have hit .600.”

So he could. Why didn’t he? I’ll let him answer the question for you as he answered it for me.

“I wasn’t getting paid to do that,” he said. I was getting paid to hit home runs.”

So he hit more home runs than any other man that ever lived. They didn’t have to hop the ball up for him, either. He made home run records before they hopped the ball – and they hopped it to create imitators of him – and none of them got even close to him.

"I'm paid to hit home runs. In a way, thats a handicap. To hit home runs, I've got to swing from my heels with all the power in my body. Which isn't good batting style."

Before Nat Fein photo was taken - It was too wet and cold, so he turned around and went back to the locker room. When it was just about time for him to be introduced, went through the runway and sat in the dugout next to former Cleveland pitcher Mel Harder. In his raspy voice he said to Harder, "You remember when I got five for five off you in Cleveland and they booed me?" As Harder smiled in rememberance, Ruth followed up with, "Line drives, all to left field. And they booed the sh*t out of me."

"Why choke up? The third strike can carry that agate as far as the first. Some of my longest hits have been made on the third strike, anyhow. Those guys who shorten up are not team players; they are selfish individuals who would take a chance on hitting into a double play, rather than face the shame of striking out. A club with two or three of those guys will be out of the race before the Fourth of July. They're quitters."

Comment

Here he is, out of shape, out of the game for 3 years, 43 years old.
                    Check out some of his competition, in their prime, three of the some of the NL's heavy hitters, in the top 8 or 10 in home runs over the last three seasons.
                    That first picture doesn't appear to be dated correctly. Babe in 1938 had a big gut, much bigger than 1935 when his gut was getting there. Yet in the picture there is no evidence of a huge gut- unless it is the finish of the swing which creates the illusion of a flat stomach.
                    Last edited by Corgidog1; 08-05-2013, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I recall doing the same with baseball cards from the 1950's, no Babe but as a Yankee fan, some Yogi and a dozen or more Mantle cards, early Mantle cards.
                      It was a matter of luck, no one, not many saved cards back then. Luck, they happened to leave a box of cards in the attic or cellar, 30 years later they find what they forgot about is worth some bucks.
                      I always used my "doubles" to put on my bike back in the late 50s early 60s. You could always get 2-3 needed cards in return for a Mantle card and I always thought Topps made less copies of good cards to keep the kids buying more packs to get the hard to find cards. Always had doubles and triples of the scrubs back then

Comment

• Originally posted by Corgidog1 View Post
                        That first picture doesn't appear to be dated correctly. Babe in 1938 had a big gut, much bigger than 1935 when his gut was getting there. Yet in the picture there is no evidence of a huge gut- unless it is the finish of the swing which creates the illusion of a flat stomach.
                        The pic from the newspaper appears to say that was the at bat the day of the event.
                        I do agree after you mentioned it, he does not look that heavy, could be the swing, his finish.
                        Then of course could be the newspaper using a picture of him before 1938, the 1938 is correct.

Comment

• I'll second that! In some things (in fact, in most things - I'm seventy) older is better. Man-o-man, it's great to be back in the future.

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                          Cool, it's back to normal now. Except I lost a post I spent a few weeks putting together.
                          ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Comment

• Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                            I'll second that! In some things (in fact, in most things - I'm seventy) older is better. Man-o-man, it's great to be back in the future.
                            At 70, you probably have more energy than I do, to re-do that fackin' post. This site it screwed

Comment

• Originally posted by Dude Paskert
                              I think I had at least 1000 Larry Bowa cards back in the '70s...he wasn't a scrub, but I sure wasn't excited about getting 2-3 of him per pack.
                              Yessir. My knowledge of bench guys is pretty good from the 1985-1988 years, thanks to Topps...

Mike Fischlin, Steve Jeltz, Ed Romero, Kevin Romine, Alan Knicely, Tom Lawless, John Morris, Darryl Motley, Donnie Hill, Jerry Willard, John Mizerock, Brian Dayett, Chico Walker, Lou Thornton, and on and on and on...
                              "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• I'm not sure if this Ruth documentary has been posted before. I'm not going to go through 83 pages of posts to check.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X