*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
    Thanks for that link to your earlier post in this thread. I will look into that. I'll also go through the photos I've collected, as many show Ruth sitting down with Ruppert and signing contracts. Other photos show the actual contracts. I also have images of canceled payroll checks from the Yankees to Ruth.
    I'm not sure what the mystery is. What do you wanna know about his contracts. We know exactly what they were signed for.

The only unknowns are the years in which he received a % of the gate....which includes his last few seasons with the Yanks and three seasons with the Braves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      So did Ruth earn over $1 million in salary as a ballplayer?
      Leaving 1914 out, he was at exactly 700k just from salary going into 1932 (not including the bonus that Frazee later gave him for 1918)...chump change. So call it 700k. Going into 1932 is when he started getting 25% of gate. So without gate, through '34 he's at 862,000. The amount he made away from the field had to be at least equal to that, probably much more. Throw in '35 and a couple years after of gate and I'd say he's right about 1 mil just in baseball.

Comment

• Hadn't seen this: the Yankee road uniform made for Babe Ruth for the 1935 season, and a 1935 contract with the Yankees with a "One Dollar" figure filled in. Maybe the contract was a "retire as a Yankee" gesture. There are huge 3000px images of the uniform at the link if you log in.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...01#98709870920
        sigpic

Comment

• On the Babe Ruth Central site, I posted this story that I got from a close friend of mine, it was about his father and Babe Ruth. His father's name was Henry.
          In the early 30s, Henry and a friend would, go down to Nevin Field, in Detroit, to check out the visiting players. On this particular day, the Yankees were in town. At the end of the game, they would stand outside the fence that surrounded the players parking lot, and they could catch glimpses of players coming out of the stadium, to get into their cars. And on this day, sure enough, out stepped Babe Ruth. He noticed the two boys standing outside the fence and walked up to them and asked "did you see the game"? They both shook their heads no. Well, said Babe, come with me. He walked the boys around the fence, into the stadium, and onto the outfield grass. From foul pole to foul pole they walked, and talked with Babe Ruth. Henry later told his son, that was one of the most memorable moments of his childhood.
          To me, this is why Babe Ruth was the greatest ballplayer ever. Because he treated all kids like Henry.

Kids with Ruth ball523.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by mi-billyb View Post
            On the Babe Ruth Central site, I posted this story that I got from a close friend of mine, it was about his father and Babe Ruth. His father's name was Henry.
            In the early 30s, Henry and a friend would, go down to Nevin Field, in Detroit, to check out the visiting players. On this particular day, the Yankees were in town. At the end of the game, they would stand outside the fence that surrounded the players parking lot, and they could catch glimpses of players coming out of the stadium, to get into their cars. And on this day, sure enough, out stepped Babe Ruth. He noticed the two boys standing outside the fence and walked up to them and asked "did you see the game"? They both shook their heads no. Well, said Babe, come with me. He walked the boys around the fence, into the stadium, and onto the outfield grass. From foul pole to foul pole they walked, and talked with Babe Ruth. Henry later told his son, that was one of the most memorable moments of his childhood.
            To me, this is why Babe Ruth was the greatest ballplayer ever. Because he treated all kids like Henry.

[ATTACH]131952[/ATTACH]
            Babe Ruth saw no class distinction, a president king or queen, he saw them the same as any person he might meet on the street or at the park.
            Who else would call the president of the USA, "Prez".

Some where I have a news article saved. He was to meet a woman of royalty, don't recall her status or country. He showed up over an hour late. Walked out of his car with muddied shoes and pants, told reporters he had stopped on the way to play some ball with some kids.

Comment

• We do know what Babe was paid to play but will never know for sure what his total income was, playing, endorsements, money was coming his way from many sources.
              From 1926. Think about it. A baseball player receiving the highest pay, higher than any of the greatest acts of that day, professionals, paid to act.
              He has no act, just walk on stage and be Babe Ruth, 100,000.00 for 12 weeks.
              Attached Files

Comment

• More cash from outside the game source coming his way as early as 1921.
                That 3000 per week was really big bucks in 1921 even for the Bam.

Here is the info on his signing and pay.
                Also a review, one of his appearances on stage.
                It's the Bam, packed house, standing room only, hundreds turned away.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Yes, he was arrested and "booked" for a violation of the Child Labor Act of California.

Long article, in brief, his crime.
                  Bringing some kid on stage to join in the act.
                  Nothing came of the charge, he did not appear, forfeited bail, that was the end of the story.

Just a footnote, 1935 just about finished as a ballplayer, a circus offered him 75,000.00 to appear with the circus in 1935.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Shoelessjoe,

Your knowledge and sources of Babe Ruth always astounds me. I enjoy all your postings, keep up the great work.

Comment

• Here is a document from Ruth's association with Pantages vaudeville.

Here is a document regarding the reason Ruth wanted out of the vaudeville contract a bit early (as mentioned in the document above):

I believe that "Lily of the Laundry" was re-titled to "Babe Comes Home":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017652/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_9

Here's a nice image of a Babe Comes Home banner:

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread moving.
                      Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 11-29-2013, 01:01 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Some good stuff SULTAN never saw this before.

Comment

Shoelessjoe,

Your knowledge and sources of Babe Ruth always astounds me. I enjoy all your postings, keep up the great work.
                          He has to be the most interesting athlete on and off the field, loads of information on his life available, thank you..

Comment

Shoelessjoe,

Wouldn't that make a great movie. Tough waterfront kid placed in an institution for most of his youth, future not looking good at all. Released to a baseball club, then despite not playing any real organized baseball, no real training, the same year of his release, he is amongst the best pitchers in International League.

Only two years later 1916 he has close to a Cy Youing season and pitches in the World Series.
                            Considered the best lefthander in both leagues.
                            Then goes to the outfield and becomes arguably the game greatest hitter, should make anyone's best 3 hitters in the game, becomes the idol of millions.
                            Who would believe it.

Comment

• I often thought a story of Babe's contribution to baseball through public relations contact with the public, away from baseball. A good title would be "Babe Ruth, the other half of his legend, OUTSIDE THE CHALK LINES". There is certainly enough material, and would make a great story, away from all the homeruns and baseball records.

Comment

• Salt Lake newspaper article -

The Week Babe Ruth Owned Salt Lake City

babe_main_071011~5.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X