No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an very in-depth breakdown of Babe's career homeruns I stumbled upon:

Ruth's 714

Interesting to note that Babe hit over 10 homeruns off of three different left handed pitchers- he hit at least 10 off of 13 different pitchers (two of them were Lefty Grove and Walter Johnson). Ruth hit 9 off of Grove, despite Grove's usage pattern during the A's dynasty, wherein he hardly faced the Yankees. I'd love to see his career numbers against left handed pitching; I think it would make his hitting/slugging exploits even more impressive to me.

Does anyone know how many times Ruth faced Johnson or Grove, and what his career numbers were against the two greatest of his time, aside from his homerun totals?

Comment

• Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
      Here's an very in-depth breakdown of Babe's career homeruns I stumbled upon:

Ruth's 714

Interesting to note that Babe hit over 10 homeruns off of three different left handed pitchers- he hit at least 10 off of 13 different pitchers (two of them were Lefty Grove and Walter Johnson). Ruth hit 9 off of Grove, despite Grove's usage pattern during the A's dynasty, wherein he hardly faced the Yankees. I'd love to see his career numbers against left handed pitching; I think it would make his hitting/slugging exploits even more impressive to me.

Does anyone know how many times Ruth faced Johnson or Grove, and what his career numbers were against the two greatest of his time, aside from his homerun totals?

One of Ruth's lost home runs involved Left Grove. April 15, 1930 at Shibe Park. Ruth hit a long drive to right center field that cleared the wall but struck a speaker support and bounced back on to the playing field. The Yanks lost the argument and Ruth was sent back to second base, a double. That came off off Left Grove, third inning with one man on base.

September 26, 1930 same deal, ball clears wall strikes same speaker support. Again the Yanks lose the argument another double. This one off off Athletic's pitcher Perkins.

Ruth ended the season with 49 home runs, could have been his 5th season with 50 or more home runs.

Comment

• Another non-homer off Grove came during an exhibition game at the Polo Grounds in 1923, where Babe played with the Giants. With a sprained ankle and the world series around the corner, he played five innings and hit one over the roof off Grove.

Speaking of lefty/righty. Interesting to note, that according to the distances Jenkinson has calculated...of Ruth's 49 career homers that traveled 500+ feet, thirteen of them were off lefties.

Pennock - 505
        Weilman - 520
        Harper - 525
        Pennock - 500
        Thormalen - 510
        Bert Cole - 575
        Wieneke - 550
        Heimach - 505
        Cvengros - 505
        Buster Ross - 510
        Hal Wiltse - 515
        Phil Page - 505
        Walberg - 535
        Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 05-09-2007, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Ruth's 714

Great breakdown, but I don't understand what LO IP refer to. IP usually meaning innings pitched in baseball abbreviations.

Comment

• Pretty funny stuff. Listening to my local sports talk radio today, 1080 "The Fan" the two guys were discussing greatest outfielders of all time at each position. First guy picks Ruth for right field, and says there's no close second. Of course , I'm thinkin' the next guy, an ex NFL offensive lineman, knows at least enough to either pick Ruth, Aaron, or at the very worst Frankie Robinson, but the guy chooses ROBERTO CLEMENTE for his right fielder. His reason for not choosing Ruth? He sees Ruth more as a "mythical figure."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
              Pretty funny stuff. Listening to my local sports talk radio today, 1080 "The Fan" the two guys were discussing greatest outfielders of all time at each position. First guy picks Ruth for right field, and says there's no close second. Of course , I'm thinkin' the next guy, an ex NFL offensive lineman, knows at least enough to either pick Ruth, Aaron, or at the very worst Frankie Robinson, but the guy chooses ROBERTO CLEMENTE for his right fielder. His reason for not choosing Ruth? He sees Ruth more as a "mythical figure."
              Now that is funny. If there is anybody who has a mystique about him it's Roberto Clemente.

Was Clemente a great player? of course. Was he as great as many make him out to be? Not even close. For RF alone, I have Clemente, at best, 7th (Ruth, Aaron, F. Robinson, Ott, Jackson, Gwynn, Crawford, Kaline, P. Waner, Heilmann are some who can arguably be ranked over Clemente.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                Pretty funny stuff. Listening to my local sports talk radio today, 1080 "The Fan" the two guys were discussing greatest outfielders of all time at each position. First guy picks Ruth for right field, and says there's no close second. Of course , I'm thinkin' the next guy, an ex NFL offensive lineman, knows at least enough to either pick Ruth, Aaron, or at the very worst Frankie Robinson, but the guy chooses ROBERTO CLEMENTE for his right fielder. His reason for not choosing Ruth? He sees Ruth more as a "mythical figure."

I heard once that Don Mattingly thought, well into his teens, that Babe Ruth was a fictional, Tall-Tale type of character, "like Paul Bunyon." The person who told me this is very knowledgeable about Baseball, and a huge Mattingly fan. Can't say if it's true, but supposedly Mattingly said in the rural parts where he grew up, he thought other kids believed the same thing.

The more one learns about Ruth's almost-superhuman feats, the more I guess I can understand the Paul Bunyon analogy.

Comment

• Originally posted by TRfromBR View Post

I heard once that Don Mattingly thought, well into his teens, that Babe Ruth was a fictional, Tall-Tale type of character, "like Paul Bunyon." The person who told me this is very knowledgeable about Baseball, and a huge Mattingly fan. Can't say if it's true, but supposedly Mattingly said in the rural parts where he grew up, he thought other kids believed the same thing.

The more one learns about Ruth's almost-superhuman feats, the more I guess I can understand the Paul Bunyon analogy.
                  I've heard that also but would like to hear Don say it was true. Hard to believe that a MLB player, who had to be playing as a young boy would think that Babe Ruth was fictional. I would bet that a fair number of teen age girls would at the least know that Babe Ruth was the real thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                    I've heard that also but would like to hear Don say it was true. Hard to believe that a MLB player, who had to be playing as a young boy would think that Babe Ruth was fictional. I would bet that a fair number of teen age girls would at the least know that Babe Ruth was the real thing.
                    If I'm not mistaken, Mattingly supposedly stated this erroneous impression of his during a television interview, while he was playing for the Yankees. And, yes, he apparently said he did not realize the truth until well after he had been playing ball as a kid.

With respect to teenage girls, I would have thought so, too. But, maybe the mythical Ruth was more prevalent than we know. Maybe some thought of him along the lines of The Mighty Casey of Mudville.

Comment

• I stumbled upon this website, the Library of Congress, and found these photos.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...otos&gst=&so=3

1920-21: Babe Ruth and Tom Gibbons before the start of the
                      Yankee-Athletic game at the Polo Grounds
                      BR.jpgabc.jpg
                      Image1.jpg
                      swinjg.jpg
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-14-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• --------------------------------
                        Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 12-02-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Ruth's 714

I don't see Ruth's "called shot" on that list anywhere. Not even mention of hitting a home run off Charlie Root.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                            I don't see Ruth's "called shot" on that list anywhere. Not even mention of hitting a home run off Charlie Root.
                            Took a quick look at that list, did not see World Series home runs.Did you know that Root home run came in the 1932 WS.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                              Preseason, exhibition or postseason competition would not calculate into Ruth's 714.

Comment

• Babe against one of the best

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                                Another non-homer off Grove came during an exhibition game at the Polo Grounds in 1923, where Babe played with the Giants. With a sprained ankle and the world series around the corner, he played five innings and hit one over the roof off Grove.

Speaking of lefty/righty....
                                Thought this should belong here. Thanks to Ubi for doing the legwork and going back through the boxes. No pitcher vs. batter matchup data will be complete until full PBP info is available for old time games, but I thought this was very interesting nonetheless....

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                                For Grove vs. Ruth I found about 129 at bats in which Ruth got 39 hits, of those hits I could find 9 homers and 1 double. Along with 17 K's and 9 walks.

His batting average was .313 and his SLG was .527. *Rough approximate of OBP is .372. This does not count HBP or sacrifices.*

I'm pretty sure that I am missing some at bats and this isn't the final numbers. But it is a ballpark estimate, and if I had to guess I would say both numbers might go down slightly.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X