Clear All

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    How about this one? :hyper:

[ATTACH]132819[/ATTACH]
    Merry Xmas

BabeSanta.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
      I think two factors that led to Ruth having unnatural batting power can be discerned in photographs. One is that he was in a sense taller than he appeared. By that I mean the portion of his body that contributed physically to his swing, from the shoulders to the feet, was actually longer than that of the average 6'2'' man, due to Ruth's short neck and the way his head jutted out rather than up. Look at the photo below and you can see what I mean. When you look at Ruth in images, observe how high his shoulders are relative to those of the men around him. Ruth had the body of a man 6'3'' or taller, except for the neck.

The other factor that gave Babe an advantage was his enormous hands. They allowed him more control over the bat, and allowed for a greater transfer of the torque the rest of his body was creating to the bat head.

This is a really cool Ruth photo. It's just screams BALLPLAYER. I think I may add it to my FB page.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Ok, I take it all back! The Babe is the one of the most famous people ever! I posted the above picture on my FB and a friend who lives in Mexico and doesn't speak any English posted the following.

"El mejor" (The best)

I asked her if she knew who Babe Ruth was?

She responded, "Claro amo el beisbol.. Bebe ruth es el grande de los grandes" (Of course, I love baseball. Babe Ruth is a giant among giants)

I had no idea she was into baseball and that she knew who Babe Ruth was.
        Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 12-20-2013, 09:17 PM.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          Ok, I take it all back! The Babe is the one of the most famous people ever! I posted the above picture on my FB and a friend who lives in Mexico and doesn't speak any English posted the following.

"El mejor" (The best)

I asked her if she knew who Babe Ruth was?

She responded, "Claro amo el beisbol.. Bebe ruth es el grande de los grandes" (Of course, I love baseball. Babe Ruth is a giant among giants)

I had no idea she was into baseball and that she knew who Babe Ruth was.
          Don't know if you recall HWR, I touched on this a while back, how he is still known to some, who never saw him play, from different points of the world.
          In brief, I posted dozens pf pics and articles about Babe on a Babe Ruth page at Facebook.
          I was surprised to get replies from Europe, Western and even a half dozen or more from Eastern Europe, Africa, I did say Africa not a misprint and other parts of the world, a ton from Mexico. From the USA, not only young boys but many from young girls, they know who he was.
          One from a young girl in Germany, asking me to send her a pic of the Bam with his mother. It was written in German, went to Google Translator, sent her that pic.
          Researching him for years and found he was still known to many in the USA. But when I went to Facebook, I was rather shocked, gone all thse years but still many know of him.

Comment

• Only a small number of these I have saved in a folder. Most taken at a wax museum.

I guess Chicks really dig the long ball, they went to the right guy
            Attached Files

Comment

• Left this one out of my previous post.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Not really legible. What it is, Bosox will pay Babe 1000.00 if the Bosox win the pennant, looks like 1918.
                Attached Files

Comment

• I am reading the 2007 book, Ty and the Babe, by Tom Stanton about the 1941 Has-Beens Golf Championship between the two. It is a damn good book so far, and is packed with great photos, a very full bibliography, and an appendix that tracks every game between their teams in the 200+ contests the faced off in. Good stuff.

Point being, as I am not just posting to blab on here, I was wondering if any of you Ruth fans here have some of these newspaper articles that Stanton shows/quotes from during the golf tour that Babe and Ty went on, or any of these great photos of the two on the links together? Great stuff in here, and I am excited to read more about the actual golf tournament. I am only in the front half of the book, which is now talking about their baseball exploits. Funny that I have had this book sitting on a shelf in my library behind me for 6 years now, and have never cracked its spine before.
                  "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Here are some pictures of Ruth and Cobb golfing, not all of these are in the book I posted above (actually I only recognize the picture of "Spanky" Jocelyn handing Cobb a trophy as being in the book, but I am still in the beginning). Do you guys have any pictures like these?

Cobb, Ruth, Speaker.jpg

cobb.jpg

TyCobbRobertJoscelynBabeRuth.jpg

ruth and Cobb golf.jpg

Cobb and Ruth with club.jpg

Sorry some of those were pretty small, that is why I was wanting to know if you all have better photos of this golf tour?

Comment

• Has-Beens Golf Championship 1941: Ty v Babe!

Here are a few more. I did a simple google image search for "Babe Ruth golf pictures" and found some of these. I haven't searched any newspapers or sports publications yet.

Post43-CobbRuth-19433tournamentgolf.jpg

Cobb and Ruth.jpeg

Comment

• Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                        I am reading the 2007 book, Ty and the Babe, by Tom Stanton about the 1941 Has-Beens Golf Championship between the two. It is a damn good book so far, and is packed with great photos, a very full bibliography, and an appendix that tracks every game between their teams in the 200+ contests the faced off in. Good stuff.

Point being, as I am not just posting to blab on here, I was wondering if any of you Ruth fans here have some of these newspaper articles that Stanton shows/quotes from during the golf tour that Babe and Ty went on, or any of these great photos of the two on the links together? Great stuff in here, and I am excited to read more about the actual golf tournament. I am only in the front half of the book, which is now talking about their baseball exploits. Funny that I have had this book sitting on a shelf in my library behind me for 6 years now, and have never cracked its spine before.
                        If I recall, Ty did win the match.
                        Here are a couple of the Bam's days on the greens.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• From the greens to the alleys.
                          Jack came out on top, two game total 395, Babe .387.
                          This from 1930.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Yeah, just by flipping through the chapters, the author has their scores at the end of a few of the matches at different courses they played at during the tour that I saw so far, and Cobb won them both. Those are just the ones I have seen so far by flipping through, I haven't read about them yet. In the appendix of their baseball game by game history, there was an interesting note from a game when Ruth was still pitching for the Sox. In that game (Stanton gives some brief notes on the various games telling of the two guys achievements in the games) Ty Cobb was on second, and attempted to take third when no one was covering the bag. Stanton says Ruth ran over to cover down on third, took the throw, and nails Cobb. Here it is, just found it. On page 244 of Ty and the Babe, in the appendix (I am typing it just as it reads in the book):

May 11: Boston 2, Detroit 1 at Navin Field
                            Ty: 1 for 3
                            Babe: 2 for 4

Ruth wins his seventh straight game and gathers two hits to Cobb's one. He even fans Ty with a runner on third. "Ruth made Tyrus look cheap . . . ," reports The Boston Globe. "The Red Sox bench warmers gave Tyrus a great riding, getting just what they were after - his goat." In the ninth, Cobb daringly tries to take third on an infield out. But Ruth darts to the abandoned third base and swats Cobb with the ball, executing a rally-killing double play.

Comment

• I may as well just type out the 200 or so games in this appendix between Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth, and I will when I have the time (it will take a while...). Anyway, I just saw that in consecutive days in 1922, Ruth lost a home run each day to Ty Cobb's glove, one aided by a strong wind gust, however. Check these out, August 8 and 9 of 1922, in Detroit's Navin Field (from pages 258 and 259):

August 8: Detroit 2, New York 1 at Navin Field
                              Ty: 2 for 4
                              Babe: 1 for 3

A big gust blows one of Ruth's long drives out of the stands and into Cobb's glove for an out.

August 9: New York 8, Detroit 3 at Navin Field
                              Ty: 2 for 4
                              Babe: 1 for 5

Ruth cracks a home run after being deprived earlier when Cobb makes what longtime baseball writer Harry Salsinger describes as one of the greatest catches ever at Navin Field. Cobb climbs over collapsed bleachers and leaps at the fence to deny Ruth a four-bagger in the first inning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                                Yeah, just by flipping through the chapters, the author has their scores at the end of a few of the matches at different courses they played at during the tour that I saw so far, and Cobb won them both. Those are just the ones I have seen so far by flipping through, I haven't read about them yet. In the appendix of their baseball game by game history, there was an interesting note from a game when Ruth was still pitching for the Sox. In that game (Stanton gives some brief notes on the various games telling of the two guys achievements in the games) Ty Cobb was on second, and attempted to take third when no one was covering the bag. Stanton says[B] Ruth ran over to [/B]cover down on third, took the throw, and nails Cobb. Here it is, just found it. On page 244 of Ty and the Babe, in the appendix (I am typing it just as it reads in the book):

May 11: Boston 2, Detroit 1 at Navin Field
                                Ty: 1 for 3
                                Babe: 2 for 4

Ruth wins his seventh straight game and gathers two hits to Cobb's one. He even fans Ty with a runner on third. "Ruth made Tyrus look cheap . . . ," reports The Boston Globe. "The Red Sox bench warmers gave Tyrus a great riding, getting just what they were after - his goat." In the ninth, Cobb daringly tries to take third on an infield out. But Ruth darts to the abandoned third base and swats Cobb with the ball, executing a rally-killing double play.
                                A play just like the one you describe, Babe racing to third to nail Cobb, maybe 1918-1919, I do have the article can not locate it.
                                Same deal, Babe on the mound. He and Ty had words all though the game. On one play Cobb running the bases, attempts to make third, Babe runs to the bag tags out Ty.
                                More than just a tag. The NY Times description, Babe slapped a hard tag to to Ty's mid section for the third out. Ty was hurt, lay prone for almost a minute, refused help from teammates to stand up.

This article is not from that game. This is all about Ty and babe again. Babe asked to pitch this game so he could face off against Ty.
                                It was Babe's day, two long home runs and he and Ty face off, umps and teammates break it up.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X