No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This might have been already posted, but I love the sound of the bat hitting the ball. Babe Ruth 1935 Boston Braves in Newark, NJ.

http://www.t3licensing.com/license/clip/331745_019.do

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
      She was searching for a pic of Babe eating a hot dog. This pic was available, had it saved and sent it to her.
      Not even certain if it was hot dog but as close as I could come.
      Could be wrong but first glance, I think it's a piece of cake. Think I've seen video around birthday time...that shirt looks familiar. No matter..awesome experience you must have had Joe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dto7 View Post
        This might have been already posted, but I love the sound of the bat hitting the ball. Babe Ruth 1935 Boston Braves in Newark, NJ.

No worries Dto, we've seen that video before.

What I still like to see...from the 8:00 to 12:00 minute mark...Ruth holds up....a typical "take" from him. He put that much energy into every swing or swing attempt. If you can pause it at the 11:38 mark, you can see how committed he appears, but still holds up. Every approach...there's a split second decision made in that instant. And still .342/.690.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
          Could be wrong but first glance, I think it's a piece of cake. Think I've seen video around birthday time...that shirt looks familiar. No matter..awesome experience you must have had Joe.
          Right Randy, as close as I can come but not certain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dto7 View Post
            This might have been already posted, but I love the sound of the bat hitting the ball. Babe Ruth 1935 Boston Braves in Newark, NJ.

This is with no doubt my favorite. the sound.
            You can see some spectators looking over the wall a he rounds the bases.

Comment

• The "Babe eating" photo above is the one that I remember, but I think I have a few others. I'll look for them.

I downloaded a 72 mb version of the film clip of Ruth hitting that home run in New Jersey in 1935. It's clearer than the embedded one at that link, and can be brightened, which really helps. But as far as the sound, can anyone vouch that it is authentic? Having a film camera with sound recording in the stands for an exhibition game in 1935 would have been unusual, even given The Babe's presence. If someone did add the audio track, though, they did an excellent job of matching it.
              Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
                The "Babe eating" photo above is the one that I remember, but I think I have a few others. I'll look for them.

I downloaded a 72 mb version of the film clip of Ruth hitting that home run in New Jersey in 1935. It's clearer than the embedded one at that link, and can be brightened, which really helps. But as far as the sound, can anyone vouch that it is authentic? Having a film camera with sound recording in the stands for an exhibition game in 1935 would have been unusual, even given The Babe's presence. If someone did add the audio track, though, they did an excellent job of matching it.
                Can't say for sure, you can hear the first pitch hitting the catcher's mitt, that sounds real.
                Also, the chatter in the background, right after he connects, are those broadcasters.
                Listen to that background when he's about 10 to 15 feet from third base it sounds like....................."he really got a hold of that one, didn't he", what do you think, the conversation.

Comment

• I think the camera was on the field in front of the box seats. This was 1935 and most state-of-the-art commercial cameras would have had sound. I believe the "colorful" comments were from patrons very near the camera mic, awestruck by the ferocity of the blow.
                  Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                  Can't say for sure, you can hear the first pitch hitting the catcher's mitt, that sounds real.
                  Also, the chatter in the background, right after he connects, are those broadcasters.
                  Listen to that background when he's about 10 to 15 feet from third base it sounds like....................."he really got a hold of that one, didn't he", what do you think, the conversation.

Comment

• New footage hopefully available soon (short clip at the end):

http://baseballresearcher.blogspot.c...e-footage.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
                      New footage hopefully available soon (short clip at the end):

Wow, great stuff.

Amazing how we have long threads about Robinson Cano not hustling to first base. Do people really believe that everyone hustled in the old days? Ruth was practically walking down the first base line when he grounded out!
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Olbermann tells the story here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohLTdg2nbrU

Comment

• Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                          Wow, great stuff.

Amazing how we have long threads about Robinson Cano not hustling to first base. Do people really believe that everyone hustled in the old days? Ruth was practically walking down the first base line when he grounded out!
                          And he didn't even make it to first base!
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
                            New footage hopefully available soon (short clip at the end):

Thanks for posting. It turns out that Ruth was actually sprinting to first base. That's how slow players were back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                              Wow, great stuff.

Lets get on those lazy old timers.
                              I followed that Cano thread and the focus was on Cano not hustling down the line, compared to others in the game, not "old Timers''.
                              Plus how many posters thought Cano's style was fine, why bust it down the line and risk injury.
                              We're looking at a player here Ruth, his first game back, in June, why bust it.

Comment

• More on that June 1925 game and some footage that I cropped from an old video some years ago and put it in a sequence, Babe head first to home plate.
                                Plus some outfield plays.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X