Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I would loved to have listened in on any conversation these two guys had. For sure the main subject would have been about hitting.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • Remember when this happened...the momentous occasion when Bill moved Babe past Willie all-time. A huge step for him.

      Originally posted by Bill Burgess
      I've decided to change my mind. I've decided to vote for Babe Ruth as a "magical player". I realize he was not the most complete player, but I think I've shorted him somewhat. I am basing my change due to his defense.

      True, he was always moved around due to lack of speed, but I think he fielded well. I have some quotes by folks like Speaker, Sisler, Ban Johnson, and others who claim that he fielded well, despite his not being able to catch up with long line drives to his side.

      And I have almost never credited him for his pitching. He did pitching, hitting well, and both require explosive movements.

      So I am going to adjust the vote totals, but I can't move my name to his column. I am also moving Babe up to 3rd place after Ty/Honus, and ahead of Willie Mays.

      One of the things that Fever has changed me on, is that it is possible to have greater value in one or two great areas, even if someone else is better rounded. And this has been an extremely difficult, almost painful kind of evolution for me.

      But I am committed to growing, even if it means admitting I was wrong about certain things before.

      Bill
      Originally posted by Bill Burgess
      For me, switching Babe with Willie is painful. It requires me to reevaluate so much of my prior eternal verities.

      I've always defined better with being better rounded, more complete. But when a man is a pitcher, he's a specialist. When he's a superb slugger, he's a specialist. But what do I make of a man whose a specialist in 2 completely different skill sets??!!

      Quite a unique dilemma, predicament, conundrum! Is such a man still a "specialist"? I never really forced myself to deal with such implications, up to now. And so now I am forcing myself into a quite clumsy, awkward turnaround. One I had scarcely left room for myself to execute. And I feel quite confused by this, and am experiencing quite mixed feelings. But I'll soon right myself and find new bearings and parameters to light my way. Just got to get used to probing in the dark for awhile, until I get used to the feelings.

      Maybe Mark went through similar Epiphanies in going with Willie, or Chris the Younger in going with Willie over Oscar.

      Growth is good, if somewhat scary initially. Wish me luck on my new journey. Almost feels like a religious conversion!

      Bill
      There's no truth to the rumor he was moved in the field due to lack of speed. The Yanks wanted to protect his eyes from the sun, and Meusel never minded switching when required. It was just accepted. I know you can't respond ol' buddy, just had to spar with ya one last time. From the bottom of my heart, RIP.
      Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 04-17-2014, 08:57 PM.

      Comment


      • Not sure if this has been posted so here goes

        The Adventures Of Babe Ruth Radio (Old Time Radio) - approx 15 mins in 8 parts as told by Steve Martin

        https://archive.org/details/The_Adve..._Babe_Ruth_826

        Comment


        • Originally posted by scribbs View Post
          Not sure if this has been posted so here goes

          The Adventures Of Babe Ruth Radio (Old Time Radio) - approx 15 mins in 8 parts as told by Steve Martin

          https://archive.org/details/The_Adve..._Babe_Ruth_826
          Did pick this one up a few years ago, listened to some.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
            Remember when this happened...the momentous occasion when Bill moved Babe past Willie all-time. A huge step for him.

            There's no truth to the rumor he was moved in the field due to lack of speed. The Yanks wanted to protect his eyes from the sun, and Meusel never minded switching when required. It was just accepted. I know you can't respond ol' buddy, just had to spar with ya one last time. From the bottom of my heart, RIP.
            Bill's magical players was a cool compilation. Do you know where that is at?
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

            Comment


            • 100 Years Ago Today ... April 22, 1914

              Babe Ruth plays his first regular season professional baseball game.
              As the starting pitcher of the International League Baltimore Orioles, he defeats Buffalo 6-0.

              The legend begins!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                Bill's magical players was a cool compilation. Do you know where that is at?
                Found it!!
                "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                Comment


                • I've often heard of Josh Gibson being the Babe Ruth of the Negro Leagues. I did some research and the stats don't bear this out. Does anyone else have any info that might shed some light on the subject? The entry on the MLB site is totally at variance with the data from the Negro League stats. The Negro League stats have him at a career total of 107 home runs with 12 being the most he hit in a single season. The MLB site has him hitting a total of 962 home runs over a seventeen year career, with a season high 82! I don't get it. I also did some research about the Negro All-Star game and found out he never homered once. And note that old canard about him hitting one out of Yankee Stadium. That was totally discredited here some time ago.

                  http://www.baseball-reference.com/nl...d=gibson002jos

                  http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/mlb_n...er=gibson_josh
                  ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                    I've often heard of Josh Gibson being the Babe Ruth of the Negro Leagues. I did some research and the stats don't bear this out. Does anyone else have any info that might shed some light on the subject? The entry on the MLB site is totally at variance with the data from the Negro League stats. The Negro League stats have him at a career total of 107 home runs with 12 being the most he hit in a single season. The MLB site has him hitting a total of 962 home runs over a seventeen year career, with a season high 82! I don't get it. I also did some research about the Negro All-Star game and found out he never homered once. And note that old canard about him hitting one out of Yankee Stadium. That was totally discredited here some time ago.

                    http://www.baseball-reference.com/nl...d=gibson002jos

                    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/mlb_n...er=gibson_josh
                    The MLB site is counting barnstorming HR's against all competition. BB-Ref. only uses stats against Negro League competition. The MLB.com article is hackneyed and pathetic. It looks like something a high school freshman would copy off cliff notes and hand in for a quick, easy C.
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                    Comment


                    • Thanks bluesky5. I knew something was really skewed. I just wonder why the MLB site would resort to such rubbish.

                      Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                      The MLB site is counting barnstorming HR's against all competition. BB-Ref. only uses stats against Negro League competition. The MLB.com article is hackneyed and pathetic. It looks like something a high school freshman would copy off cliff notes and hand in for a quick, easy C.
                      ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                        Thanks bluesky5. I knew something was really skewed. I just wonder why the MLB site would resort to such rubbish.
                        Because it's run by a scumbag used car salesman.
                        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                          I've often heard of Josh Gibson being the Babe Ruth of the Negro Leagues. I did some research and the stats don't bear this out. Does anyone else have any info that might shed some light on the subject? The entry on the MLB site is totally at variance with the data from the Negro League stats. The Negro League stats have him at a career total of 107 home runs with 12 being the most he hit in a single season. The MLB site has him hitting a total of 962 home runs over a seventeen year career, with a season high 82! I don't get it. I also did some research about the Negro All-Star game and found out he never homered once. And note that old canard about him hitting one out of Yankee Stadium. That was totally discredited here some time ago.

                          http://www.baseball-reference.com/nl...d=gibson002jos

                          http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/mlb_n...er=gibson_josh
                          One caveat is that Gibson played in some rather large ballparks in his prime like Griffith Stadium.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                          Comment


                          • Thanks Honus, much appreciated.

                            Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                            One caveat is that Gibson played in some rather large ballparks in his prime like Griffith Stadium.
                            ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                              One caveat is that Gibson played in some rather large ballparks in his prime like Griffith Stadium.
                              Yep, also Forbes Field a little bit when he was with Cum Posey's Homestead Grays.
                              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                              Comment


                              • One thing that impresses people is Gibson's HR per AB rates, just about the best in the NLs, hence the black Babe Ruth moniker.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X