Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4:44 mark

    Had never seen this until very recently. I always think to myself that Ruth had a great voice...esp for a public figure. And whimsy/sentimentality to boot...

    "As my old friend Cy Young says, I hope baseball goes another hundred years, and I hope the next hundred years will be the greatest." -Babe Ruth, June 12th, 1939
    Last edited by csh19792001; 05-02-2014, 05:25 PM.

    Comment


    • Interesting observation Chris. I agree with you. The flow and the tone; had a sincerity behind it.

      His singing needed some work though :guitar:



      Can you imagine Bonds or any modern player doing this?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
        Can you imagine Bonds or any modern player doing this?
        Only Manny!!!!

        http://www.theonion.com/channels/manny-ramirez/

        Comment


        • Worth another look - Bob Feller on Babe Ruth:

          http://m.mlb.com/video/v7144031/bob-...ith-bob-costas
          ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

          Comment


          • You may or may not be aware of it, a story about that Feller bat that Babe picked up that day.

            A bit lazy to go into my files, but I can get the story close on my own, memory.

            That bat was picked up by one of Bob's teammates, name was never revealed, possible Bob did not know who the teammate was.
            Anyway, the bat was sold a couple or few times and Bob did locate the bat around 40 years later.
            To get to the point, Bob had to buy that bat, his own bat.
            If I recall, he paid 80 to 90 thousand, to get back his own bat.

            Comment


            • I know that Babe Ruth had a winning record against Walter Johnson, either 6-3 or 6-2, depending on the source. Does anyone know? Just curious. I also know that once over a two year period Johnson gave up only two home runs. Ruth hit both.
              ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

              Comment


              • Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 05-10-2014, 06:53 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                  I know that Babe Ruth had a winning record against Walter Johnson, either 6-3 or 6-2, depending on the source. Does anyone know? Just curious. I also know that once over a two year period Johnson gave up only two home runs. Ruth hit both.
                  Page 9 of The Ultimate Babe Ruth Thread starts with his pitching. Might be mentioned there somewhere. http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...h-Thread/page9

                  I know it's been covered before, by me or Shoeless, or somebody.

                  Here's this...

                  RUTH and JOHNSON recap for 1916

                  --------------G-----IP------H-----K-----BB----R----ER---ERA-----opp BA

                  RUTH---------5----47.2----28----26----12-----4----4----0.76-----.196

                  WALTER------5----45.2----38----23----7------13---11---2.17-----.277

                  Ruth vs Johnson isn't truly Ruth vs Johnson the pitchers. It's Ruth vs Washington hitters and vice versa. Ruth was not the pitcher Walter was. As a developing youngster, he showed promise. Amazing promise. Being in the top 3-5 pitchers in either league, either hand. But his hitterish feeling and abilities would not allow him to stay on the bump. A hall of fame pitching career was derailed in favor of a HOF hitting/fielding career imo.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 05-10-2014, 06:22 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Many thanks, I'll give it a look. Meanwhile if anyone has a list of pitchers with a winning record against Walter Johnson, please let me know. I just can't imagine Ruth being the only one. Johnson was a beast. I know he actually hit more home runs than he allowed one year. He was a very fine hitter and he would often place in those fungo contests they used to have.

                    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                    Page 9 of The Ultimate Babe Ruth Thread starts with his pitching. Might be mentioned there somewhere. http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...h-Thread/page9

                    I know it's been covered before, by me or Shoeless, or somebody.

                    Here's this...

                    RUTH and JOHNSON recap for 1916

                    --------------G-----IP------H-----K-----BB----R----ER---ERA-----opp BA

                    RUTH---------5----47.2----28----26----12-----4----4----0.76-----.196

                    WALTER------5----45.2----38----23----7------13---11---2.17-----.277

                    Ruth vs Johnson isn't truly Ruth vs Johnson the pitchers. It's Ruth vs Washington hitters and vice versa. Ruth was not the pitcher Walter was. As a developing youngster, he showed promise. Amazing promise. Being in the top 3-5 pitchers in either league, either hand. But his hitterish feeling and abilities would not allow him to stay on the bump. A hall of fame pitching career was derailed in favor of a HOF hitting/fielding career imo.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------
                    ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                      Many thanks, I'll give it a look. Meanwhile if anyone has a list of pitchers with a winning record against Walter Johnson, please let me know. I just can't imagine Ruth being the only one. Johnson was a beast. I know he actually hit more home runs than he allowed one year. He was a very fine hitter and he would often place in those fungo contests they used to have.
                      Funny thing is that as a youth [high school age] Johnson was an awkward and hence poor fielder and runner with hands and feet that he had yet to grow into. But he always had that fastball and could always hit.
                      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                        Many thanks, I'll give it a look. Meanwhile if anyone has a list of pitchers with a winning record against Walter Johnson, please let me know. I just can't imagine Ruth being the only one. Johnson was a beast. I know he actually hit more home runs than he allowed one year. He was a very fine hitter and he would often place in those fungo contests they used to have.
                        In 1917, Ruth's losses, ER allowed

                        6, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1

                        That is 12 games. He threw complete games in 11 of those.

                        ----------------------------------------------------
                        5/7/17 at Washington (Johnson)

                        Result: 1-0 Win (W 6-0)

                        After being scratched from the lineup in their first would-be meeting (attack of indigestion) on 4/25, Walter was available for this start. Babe and Johnson squared off in a doozy. Big Train did not allow a single base runner until Everett Scott singled in the sixth inning.. Johnson pitched great, but Ruth was even better. The two hits Ruth gave up were mere singles and he was never in trouble. No Senator batter reached second base the entire game. The lone run scored by the Sox was on a sac fly by Ruth.

                        ----------IP---H---SO---BB---R----ER

                        Ruth------9----2----3----1----0-----0
                        Johnson--9----4----7----1----1-----1
                        ----------------------------------------------------

                        Comment


                        • some of his hitting secrets
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by elmer; 05-11-2014, 05:20 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Babe's hitting secrets:
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • Again, many thanks Elmer. This is a really astute explanation of Ruth's power. And it shows that the real Ruth is so much more than the mythic Ruth where things are a bit opaque. In the end, a real aficionado knows that the Ruth we write about now, 100 years after his debut in a major league game (July 1914), is based on a performance of unparalleled and un-matched achievement.

                              Originally posted by elmer View Post
                              Babe's hitting secrets:
                              ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

                              Comment


                              • more Ruth hitting theorem
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X