No announcement yet.

*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I rarely see such a pronounced closed stance. I've intuitively thought that this a partial explanation of his brute power. Most batters adopt a parallel stance. I believe this stance allowed him to get to outside pitches and to drive them - with power. Many of his monster shots were to the opposite field. A parallel stance would work against such power to the opposite field. Smelser likened it to Beethoven's breaking the rules after teaching a student that he must observe rigid rules. His response, "But I'm Beethoven, I can break the rules." So with Ruth, "I'm Ruth, but you shouldn't try this at home."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qHYeOxsjY-...uM/s1600/1.jpg

Originally posted by elmer View Post
    more Ruth hitting theorem
    ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
      At the 1:20 mark...this appears to show Ruth walking AND being thrown out in the '26 WS. Would almost bet my life on it. The crowd, the infielders reaction, and the hook slide resembles a pic I've seen of the play. Even the ump makes the call while sprinting for safety lol. Can anyone confirm this?

If I had to bet Randy, I agree.
      Thrown out at second, the players reaction, looks like the WS 1926.
      Also froze the pic when he's at second, looks like photos I've seen, out at second 1926 WS.
      Wonder what might have been had it been Gehrig following Babe, would he have attempted a steal.

Terrible choice by Babe, because it failed.
      No cover for this one ended the WS, but.
      What Babe was thinking, Hornsby said, it did make sense.
      Alexander was on his game and Babe thought the most they might get, was maybe a single, he had to get into scoring position.
      Again his thinking sounded reasonable, but still in the end it failed, bad choice.

Just thinking, the 1928 WS against the Cards, how did that one end.
      It was Babe again involved in the very last play that ended the game.
      Better ending in 1928. Babe making a running catch along the third base side grandstand

Newspaper's description, Babe running along the rail, seating area one handed the ball.
      Spectators, throwing bits of paper, score cards at him as he running for the ball.
      Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• If I recall, in that 1926 Cards/Yanks WS.
        Alexander pitched to 5 or 6 batters, no one hit a ball out of the infield.

Comment

• Yeah Joe, not sure if you caught this special piece by Jenkinson. He breaks down the circumstances.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...43#post2125043

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
            Yeah Joe, not sure if you caught this special piece by Jenkinson. He breaks down the circumstances.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...43#post2125043

Just took a look Randy, never saw that Jenkinson bit, good reading.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
              Just took a look Randy, never saw that Jenkinson bit, good reading.
              Yup, he breaks it all down, dives deep, like every historian should.

The people who need to read that the most, probably never will.

Just before that one, there's another special piece by Bill on Ruth and race relations. Worth a look as well.

Comment

• Yeah, you can see the Cardinal logo on the first baseman in the 1926 clip.

I went on the website cited here with the 1926 caught stealing article. Does anyone have a copy or is it already here for two articles which no longer function on Jenkinson's site:

Babe Ruth and the Issue of Race

Babe Ruth versus Negro League or Black Pitchers

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
                  Yeah, you can see the Cardinal logo on the first baseman in the 1926 clip.

I went on the website cited here with the 1926 caught stealing article. Does anyone have a copy or is it already here for two articles which no longer function on Jenkinson's site:

Babe Ruth and the Issue of Race

Babe Ruth versus Negro League or Black Pitchers
                  They are both in The Ultimate BR thread. Links to them in the first post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                    They are both in The Ultimate BR thread. Links to them in the first post.
                    Thank you sir

Comment

• Bill's website
                      articles and interviews there.

http://billjenkinsonbaseball.webs.com/articles.htm

Comment

• Babe Ruth’s Baseball Hall of Fame plaque on tour in New York City

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1792096
                        Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-17-2014, 11:33 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Never saw this one before: Ruth gets is 1923 MVP award on the field in Yankee Stadium.

Auction caption:

With career highs in hits (205), doubles (45), walks (170) and stolen bases (17), plus league-leading tallies in HRs (41), runs (151) and RBIs (130), the Bambino was an easy selection for MVP honors in 1923—the same year he led the Yankees to their first championship in franchise history. Keystone View Company's intact paper caption reads, "BABE GETS HIS DIPLOMA - Babe Ruth of the Yanks is here seen looking over the diploma given him by Commissioner Landis for being the most valuable player in 1923." The well-preserved, 6-1/2" x 8-1/2" photo rates EX/MT condition with minor peripheral wear. LOA for Type I by PSA/DNA.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Bab...LOT165108.aspx
                          sigpic

Comment

• From the book Diz: The Story of Dizzy Dean and Baseball During the Great Depression, by Robert Gregory (page 14), a conversation between Dizzy and Babe just before the start of the 1934 World Series in Detroit:

Back at the Book-Cadillac Hotel, Diz was on the telephone.
                            "Hello, is this Mr. Ruth?"
                            "Yes, this is Babe."
                            "Say, Mr. Ruth, this is Dizzy Dean. I heard you just got in town and I wanted to call you up and say hello and thank you for putting me on your All-American team this year."
                            "That's all right, kid. You deserved it."
                            "Well, thank you, Mr. Ruth."
                            "Sure, kid. I'll be seeing you at the game."
                            "You mean you'll come to the clubhouse? Gee. . . "
                            "No, I won't be there but I'll see you on the field."
                            "Thanks again, Mr. Ruth, and I'll be seeing you, too."

Taken aback by all those "Mr. Ruths" and that Diz had sounded more sincere than a "Ft. Worth preacher," Babe repeated the conversation to Bill Corum, whose approximation appeared in a New York paper. Later, when Ruth had met Diz and Paul and seen them pitch, he said, "They are the greatest that ever came along in my day. They are not only fine, smart pitchers but the type that baseball needs. I don't mind telling you they knocked me out. They're the two friendliest, politest kids I ever saw in my life."
                            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• 1933 OD. Might be The Big Bam at the plate:

sigpic

Comment

• Oh my......

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X