*Babe Ruth Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    From the book Diz: The Story of Dizzy Dean and Baseball During the Great Depression, by Robert Gregory (page 14), a conversation between Dizzy and Babe just before the start of the 1934 World Series in Detroit:

Back at the Book-Cadillac Hotel, Diz was on the telephone.
    "Hello, is this Mr. Ruth?"
    "Yes, this is Babe."
    "Say, Mr. Ruth, this is Dizzy Dean. I heard you just got in town and I wanted to call you up and say hello and thank you for putting me on your All-American team this year."
    "That's all right, kid. You deserved it."
    "Well, thank you, Mr. Ruth."
    "Sure, kid. I'll be seeing you at the game."
    "You mean you'll come to the clubhouse? Gee. . . "
    "No, I won't be there but I'll see you on the field."
    "Thanks again, Mr. Ruth, and I'll be seeing you, too."

Taken aback by all those "Mr. Ruths" and that Diz had sounded more sincere than a "Ft. Worth preacher," Babe repeated the conversation to Bill Corum, whose approximation appeared in a New York paper. Later, when Ruth had met Diz and Paul and seen them pitch, he said, "They are the greatest that ever came along in my day. They are not only fine, smart pitchers but the type that baseball needs. I don't mind telling you they knocked me out. They're the two friendliest, politest kids I ever saw in my life."
    I think "More Sincere Than A Ft. Worth Preacher" would be a great album title for Rev. Horton Heat...
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
      1933 OD. Might be The Big Bam at the plate:

NIce shot SOW. Im looking at the outfielders left and center, not very deep for the Bam.
      I do realize how deep the the fence is in left center and center but I'm not judging the oufielder's positions relative to the fence.

I'm looking where they are, the distance from the infield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
        I think "More Sincere Than A Ft. Worth Preacher" would be a great album title for Rev. Horton Heat...
        As the good Rev would say, "That's showbiz."

Nobody knew that aspect of things like Ruth.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
          You know, that does have a certain Rev. Heat sound to it! At least as a line in a song about another Texas guy screwing up in life! God bless the good Reverend!
          "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• This is the photo I referenced the other day originally posted by Sultan - St. Ann's Home, Tacoma, Washington post # 192 on Babe Ruth Thread. It's my favorite of Ruth and the kids. Does anyone have the complete photo without the crease in the middle? If so, would you kindly post it? As I remember the cherub with the hat on in the front row was holding a piece of paper. We all know that Ruth didn't have to do this and he no doubt would occasionally find these events exasperating, but he did it! Just look at those faces. I sometimes think the best thing about Ruth was his heart.

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
            ---------------------------------------St. Ann's Home, Tacoma, Washington
            ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Comment

• Yeah sorry, that was a scan job, had to do one side at a time.

Pretty sure Bill once posted a bigger (and one piece) shot. I'll get it.

Crap, I was thinking of the one right above that. Then no, I haven't seen a full one. Might need to holla to BSmile for this one.
              Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Sultan. I know I've seen a more complete photo of this somewhere on Fever, I just can't remember where. I did a Google and found out that it was also printed in the book "Babe Ruth: A Daughter's Portrait" by Julia Ruth Stevens. Maybe BSmile has it?

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                Yeah sorry, that was a scan job, had to do one side at a time.

Pretty sure Bill once posted a bigger (and one piece) shot. I'll get it.

Crap, I was thinking of the one right above that. Then no, I haven't seen a full one. Might need to holla to BSmile for this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                  This is the photo I referenced the other day originally posted by Sultan - St. Ann's Home, Tacoma, Washington post # 192 on Babe Ruth Thread. It's my favorite of Ruth and the kids. Does anyone have the complete photo without the crease in the middle? If so, would you kindly post it? As I remember the cherub with the hat on in the front row was holding a piece of paper. We all know that Ruth didn't have to do this and he no doubt would occasionally find these events exasperating, but he did it! Just look at those faces. I sometimes think the best thing about Ruth was his heart.
                  This is the photo, took out the crease but can't do much to enhance it because of the low DPI of this photo.
                  Possible BSmile have a larger pic with better definition when enlarged more.

Went to Google Books and found the book it appeared in. But only text, photos blocked out
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 06-13-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Yeah that's the book I scanned it from. Page 119 doesn't display the photo online.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                      This is the photo, took out the crease but can't do much to enhance it because of the low DPI of this photo.
                      Possible BSmile have a larger pic with better definition when enlarge more.

Went to Google Books and found the book it appeared in. But only text, photos blocked out
                      Good job Joe!

That was when I first got the scanner. I can make it bigger, raise the dpi and edit it to make it appear seamless. Badge, you just want this for a personal pic?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                        Good job Joe!

That was when I first got the scanner. I can make it bigger, raise the dpi and edit it to make it appear seamless. Badge, you just want this for a personal pic?
                        Maybe I tried to enlarge a bit too much Randy. Went back and did get it a little bit bigger with not much loss of definition.

Comment

• Thanks ever so much Shoeless and Sultan, much appreciated. By the way I went by the Menger Hotel here in San Antonio and saw a great photo of Ruth when he played in a game at League Park here in 1930. Not surprisingly, he homered in his first bat. His first visit was in 1922 when he also homered. The great panoramic photographer E. O. Goldbeck took that great photo of the Yankees during the '22 visit. I'm sure you guys have seen it. Ruth is in the middle. To his left is Home Run Baker. You can also see Carl Mays (the pitch that killed) in that photo holding a ball. Miller Huggins is extreme left. Check it out.

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                          Yeah that's the book I scanned it from. Page 119 doesn't display the photo online.

Comment

• Tried some new software to enlarge, Adobe Elements 11, more luck enlarging.
                            Enlarged 200%. You lose some contrast but can probably improve that. Did nothing to enhance it, only enlarged.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• I think this is better, worked on contrast a little bit.
                              Deleted pic, didn't look much better.

Comment

• A dapper Babe Ruth in front of the Menger Hotel, San Antonio, Texas, 1930.

http://www.1859historichotels.com/fi.../history-2.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X